Perfect Union banner

No question avaiable to import.

• Yes join the reserves... if your needed you will be called apon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay in college, and get a good job after graduation

• Join active duty

• buy trigger system and tactical accessories (sarcastic :-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering joining the reserves or possibly active service because i feel in my gut that i will somehow regret not doing it when im older.

Im in college, i dont need the money.. should i take the leap?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Satan2655
Don't need the money?!?!?!?!??!?

WTF?

Can I be in your will?
lol .. im not rich but all my education needs are paid for and i dont have a car payment, etc. so I dont really need the money. Personally I have like $10 in my wallet right now. I have an "ammo for grades" program setup lol.. better grades = more SA ammo :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a retired OSC from the USNR"3 years active on CVA 59"17.5 reserve.Stay the hell in school and get your degree at all cost.Then if you want come out with a commision."better money and alot less BS"With your degree"If you need money to finish up your degree,see a recuiter there are programs to keep you in school,then when you are done then your ass is uncle SAM's.Don't be sold a bunch of SH*T by wannabee rambo's.The reason I loved the reserves is once a year I got a 2 week acdutra to remind me why the hell I got out!!I wouldn't stand around a break area at work wishing I stay for 20 active.Aldo

·
Registered
540 Posts
get your degree then join active.
If you cut out of college you'll regret not getting your degree (like you'll go back after your done)
If you don't join, you'll also regret it.

·
No Longer Involved
2,492 Posts
This is NOT Ruger Mini-14 talk. I'm moving it to the right forum.

Please keep the stuff in the right buckets!

·
Registered
153 Posts
By all means join. Seriously, you will look back later in life with undescribable pride at your time of service. If you're wondering about it now that means you'll probably hate yourself later. Do it. Branch is entirely your choice. I always wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill people when I was a kid... OK, the urge to kill has only come recently and mainly toward the head of my school's CIS department... but that's not what I ended up doing. I was 128 lbs, 6' tall and had bad knees when I enlisted. Jump school? Woulda killed me. I joined the Air Force and never had a moments regret. Saw Europe, did incredible things, had a blast.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinkin army but i dont know what MOS to sign up for... maybe anti-aircraft or artillery... but i would have to be on active (fulltime) duty to be a tank crewmember.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by reloader
By all means join. Seriously, you will look back later in life with undescribable pride at your time of service. If you're wondering about it now that means you'll probably hate yourself later. Do it. Branch is entirely your choice. I always wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill people when I was a kid... OK, the urge to kill has only come recently and mainly toward the head of my school's CIS department... but that's not what I ended up doing. I was 128 lbs, 6' tall and had bad knees when I enlisted. Jump school? Woulda killed me. I joined the Air Force and never had a moments regret. Saw Europe, did incredible things, had a blast.
what did u do? pilot, deckcrew, mechanic, administrative, logistics?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by reloader
Can't fly without Supply.
52SUPS SpangdahlemAB, GE
509SSUPS Whiteman AFB, Knob Noster, MO
aight..

In my area the only reserve MOS that are offered are pretty much heavy equipment use, truck transportation, drill sgt.

Dont really see what im looking for their.. i would like to do command post security or something along those lines.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m probably not the most unbiased man to answer this. I am on active duty with a little over 15 years in. This summer I finished three years of teaching ROTC so I have some experience with counseling college students. I think the reserves are an excellent idea but I would look at both the reserves and the Guard (they are two different recruiters so make sure you see both) almost all the combat arms are in the Guard. In addition in many states the Guard will also pay all of your tuition. The reserves will only pay %75. If you eventually decide to go active duty you will get paid time in service pay for your reserve time (three years is about $500 a month extra for a 2LT) plus a tour as an active duty officer will pay big dividends when looking for a civilian job. General Electric was quoted in USA today a couple of years ago as considering service as a junior officer as the equivalent of an MBA for making hiring decisions. I made all of my cadets at least talk to the Guard recruiter. Most importantly you will be serving your country. I have found overall that reservists are very patriotic and the majority really enjoys what they do.
As far as branches are concerned they all have their strong points but if you are interested in excitement and service I would stay with the combat arms, Infantry, Armor and Field Artillery (Aviation and Air Defense are considered combat arms but that’s pushing the definition). I was an enlisted Infantryman and am Field Artillery and have been to Airborne and Ranger School. I have also had the privilege of serving in a Ranger Battalion. I have shot almost every small arm in the inventory and been able to call in live fire from Artillery, Close Air Support, Naval Gunfire and Attack Helicopters. Active duty is a ball until you are a senior captain then it tends to become a job (lots of staff work). The reserves are different and promotions tend to have a lot to do with what slots are available and sometimes, officers in particular, you will have to travel to get promoted.
Get all the information you can and if you don’t wait till the last minute there are some MOSs (military occupational specialties, jobs) you can get qualified for in one summer if the dates hit right. Those with longer training will take you two.
Bottom line is if you do it and don’t like it you can always not reup. If you don’t join and later wish you did and you are to old you will not be able to change your mind. OK enough sounding like a recruiter but the reality is the commitment is relatively small considering that it is service to your country that is involved.
One other thing if you decide to do ROTC to be wary of what is called guaranteed reserve forces duty. It guarantees you will be a guard or reserve officer after graduation and currently you will NOT be allowed on active duty. If you don’t sign that contract you might have to do 3 years on active duty but if you do you will probably NEVER be allowed on active duty. Again that is if you decide to do ROTC in addition to the reserves and does not otherwise have any bearing.
Jeff:usa:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I served 3 years active in the Air Force, F-15 Crew chief. I did 1 year active reserve time in the Air Force Reserves, Heavy equipment operator. I've served 10 years in the USMC, Motor Transport, still in.
My opinion: the reserves are a waste of time until called upon. I dont like reservists, UNLESS, they've already served one enlistment, cause they are all after the same thing, usually, college money, and that ticks me off. They dont want to do the job, they just want the benefits, just my opinon.
I liked being a Heavy equipment operator, it was a blast. But, it was a waste of my time, at least then, we screwed off the whole time, worthless OIC, didnt train the operators well.
The Air Force was the hardest job I think I've ever had, except for baleing hay as a teen. I worked my butt off.
The Corps is, well, its the Corps. Being an operator is not so bad, it gets better with rank.
I think you should stay in college, and get a real job. Its something you will HAVE to do anyway, might as well get a head start on all of us in the military. If you are needed, you will be called upon. You wont regret being a civilian if you do well, but you will regret being behind your peers as a civilian when you eventually, and you will, get out of the military. Being active duty is the only way to go if you join. Being a reservist is not the thing to do, unless you are doing so after a 4 year hitch, thats my opinon, not what the recruiters will tell you, but there you have it, another opinion. :beer:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Only got a minute this moringing and believe it or not that can be a complicated answer. ROTC will commission (at graduation) up to 35 but that requires prior sevice and a stack of waivers. General rule of thumb 30 without a scholarship 27 with. always older for somone with active duty enlisted time.
For enlisted I do not know but goes into the 30s I just don't know how far,a recriuter would have to tell you todays particular rules.
You can be as young as 17 and even go to basic between junior and senior years of high school and serve in a reserve unit during the school year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
forgot the bone question.
prior broken bones are ok and most but not all prior medical problems are waiverable (it seems to me most soldiers have too have at least one medical waiver I had three or four) However if you have a prior injury with a waiver and it bothers you in basic training you should consider ignoring it I have seen men sent home (I had two basic training commands) when all they wanted was an asprin. the Army does not spend time trying to fix somthing you got a waiver for untill you have been in over six months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
don't be a puss. serve you country. if you have not been active, join active. cut to the chase. if you have been active or want to be a part time patriot join the reserves.

but serve at any cost.
we defend those we do not agree with, and serve those that we do.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the only combat job in my area is combat engineering. Anybody had experience with this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of my college roommates was Army ROTC his last 2 years in school - graduated with a Reserve commission after going to armor school at Ft. Knox, KY. After figuring out the National Guard has combat units, while the Reserve is primarily combat service/support, he found a home with an engineer company. He became CO after his promotion to Captain (normally a slot for a Major). He loved the job because of the infantry/combat training available to engineers - many of their jobs risk exposure to hostile fire. Bridging operations, heavy machinery operation, light construction duties, and demolition work were all part of his unit's responsibilities. If there's a unit in your area you might be interested in, try visiting during the week with AGR (active Guard and Reserve) staff who run the unit full time. Normally, there's a senior NCO or Warrant Officer on full time duty. Remember, a recruiter can give you some good info and a heck of a sales pitch, but the best info comes straight from the horse's mouth. Good luck!

PS - I graduated college, then enlisted Army Reserve. Spent 7yrs active reserve, eighth year IRR (inactive) due to job change/relocation. Enjoyed my time, went to Honduras once for annual training and was able to participate on the reserve shooting team for a year. My unit (L Co., 1Bn, 158 Avn Rgt) was disbanded after I left and my two best buddies transferred to another local jump qualified S/F type unit. One has remained with that unit, which was recently made active due to 9/11 WTC attack. He is now active duty, stop loss is in effect (can't get out), AND he had just returned from a 7mo. deployment to Europe. Be careful what you ask for - the military just might accommodate you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts