Perfect Union banner

No question avaiable to import.

• No, leave Ruger out of this!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, notify them of these discussions, which will hopefully lead to new accessories or magazine opti

• Yes, notify Ruger and try to get an official representative involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it would be a good idea to check with the regulars here before I did this. I don't know why you wouldn't approve. Just thought I'd excercise one of the great things about this country that makes us America: The right to VOTE! (No offense intended to other nationals)

Question is this: Do you want me to notify Ruger of this Discussion board, and do you want me to try to get a representative of Ruger to post replies that reflect the official position of Ruger? There's no guarantee I can get this done, but I'll try.

(I already voted - I'll run this poll for 15 days)

·
Registered
689 Posts
The only thing that I have not been able to figure out is why Ruger has never offered a Heavy Barrel Target model. When at the local gun shops I see a couple 1022 Heavy Barrelled Factory rifles with those NICE hammer forged barrels. Surely they could get another $150.00-200.00 for this type rifle. After all to get a mini rebarreled by a smith with a good barrel will run $350.00-500.00. Seems to me there missing the boat on this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure Ruger has heard about the barrels and mags for years, and has done nothing. So I doubt that they will want to participate in these discussions.
Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, I'm in favor of having an official Ruger rep on our forum.

I'm not convinced there may not already be a clandestine Ruger agent lurking about, but you never know. :D

BTW, I think either survey option 2 or 3 will have about the same results, don't you?

I hate to rain on some folks parade, but I see little hope the Mini 14 will get turned into a target rifle (by Ruger). I don't think there's enough interest except for those of us here (the Enlightened :rolleyes: ). In my case, I got the Mini 14 just as a plinker and something that has a mildly "military/police" mystic. My CZ 452 is much, more more accurate, at least at 50 yards (I've not shot either beyond that range).

Still, I might get caught up in this accuracy quest......I could get ANOTHER Mini-14 as a target rifle.......yeah......:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
the chances of ruger growing a back bone are slim!!! they are deep in the pockets of the man and have no intrest in what the shooters of the rifle are saying. they are going to keep on the same track and i hope i'm wrong. RUGER if you are listening we want more R&D on the Mini damn it!!! work out the barrel!!!. i feel a little better venting and hope it's being heard by the right people.:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I AGREE WITH "FLACK" ET ALL...... Upgrade the barrel and rifle in gereral... I would be willing to pay more for a souped up Mini. The political correctness is evident with Ruger however in terms of magazines!!! I mean please, they will only make a stinking 5 round mag. I am sick of paying crazy prices for this after market junk or God forbid, an actual Ruger high cap!!! Come on Bill R. help us out here....By the way, in the Peoples Repubic of Cal, the Mini 14 is the only .223 that our 35 million residents can buy!! Upgrade this great rifle, charge a bit more, and get even richer Ruger Company.

Larry C:usa:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm not sure of Mr. Bills relationship with the company. I have heard he said something like, Nobody needs more than a ten round magazine. The Mini probably accounts for a good portion of thier revenue after the 10/22. The idea of at least inviting them to participate in the forum is sound. Look at what the Savage Arms Company has done just by doing the exact samething. They have been responsive to shooters & have brought out models that the public has said it wanted. I have a Savage & it ain't pretty but by god it does shoot! If I'm doing my part it'll shoot at least MOA & all I added was a trigger. Ruger might well profit by listening.

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you should definitely NOTIFY Ruger. And even REMIND them on a regular basis.
But realistically, I don't think we should EXPECT them to participate. There is too much opportunity to get involved in fruitless discussions and opinions. Ruger is in the business of satisfying paying customers, not chatting and speculating.

Even though they may not participate, I think they would be foolish to not regularly monitor the board though. Internet discussion forums wield an ENORMOUS amount of weight on public opinion and purchase choices. Many "old style" companies are finding this out the hard way, as they go broke, while new companies that know how to reach educated, internet-savvy, consumers are growing. Consumer are now able to get REAL opinions from REAL owners rather than listening to marketing hype.

Just imagine how much bigger Ruger's market share would be if they were monitoring this forum, and included three simple advancement to their product line:
1. Heavy-barrelled mini-14
2. Compact versions of ther P Series pistols.
3. 10 round mags for mini-14, mini-30 and Deerfield Carbine.

They would be digging deeply into the AR-15 craze, as well as putting Glock, etc, down on the compact pistols.

And as a benefit, we, the Ruger-lovers would be getting the things we really want also !

Attilla
Ruger: P944, PC4
SiG: P239-40, P226-40
Colt: .38 Police Positive
Rem 870

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing ventured nothing gained. I tend to agree that likely nothing will come of this, but you never know, worth a try. I would like to be able to purchase Factory 10 round magazines. I appreciate your initative.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While my M1As beat the Mini-14, I do like my Mini-14. I also want to see a heavier barreled Mini-14 and I also wish they would put a decent aperture rear sight on it. If Ruger did and could keep the price decent, they would take some AR-15 sales.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"3. 10 round mags for mini-14"

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. You could pay $30 for a ten round magazine with "Ruger" stamped on it, or you can buy 10 round magazines without the "Ruger" logo for $18.

If that appeals to you, consider trying the 10 round magazines by ProMag; I've been happy with mine and they work as well as the overprised 5 round mags "from Ruger".

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've talked with them on the phone about my suggestions and personally I don't think they care. But I tend to agree pretty much with MiniPearl... why not try? Don't think it matter though.

They could produce a "heavier" barrel NOW simply by adopting the mini-30 gas block and barrel diameter. I'll admit it's not as heavy as I'd like to see, but doing so is within their ability with current parts. No engineering required for that simple change.

I'd also like to see them bring back the green laminate stock in a SS Ranch model w/ this heavy barrel.

Shoot, I think they should redesign the whole Mini platform. Here's what I think would be perfect: Modify the oper-rod & gas block to accomodate a full .920" barrel. Redesign reciever to accept M16 mags. Loose the front and rear sights. I would prefer they loose the integral scope mount system and drill/tap for std weaver style mounts. (rings are cheaper and we can mount night-vision optics directly.) But keep the M14 look! That I like.

My thoughts,
Mike in Oregon

NW Shooters Support
Beaverton, Oregon
Phone: 503-643-6136
"Mike in Oregon"<[email protected]>
Ballistics Consulting & Pressure testing
Laser Rangefinder & Varmint Bench Rental
Moly Coating
.45acp to .450 Magnum/.45 Super Conversion Kits
Ruger Mini-14/30 Gas Port Kit & 4lb triggers
Ruger 10/22 trigger work

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I would like to see Rugar do some serious work on the barrel, and magazine issues. A 10 round factory mag that works as well as their 5 shot. The current management seems to have deaf ears. So LISTEN UP RUGAR, WE ARE WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR A BETTER PRODUCT!!! I bet they are still on the golf course, or getting a tan in Cancoon. I think we would have a better chance with new managment at Rugar, maby if we pester them enough they will quit, and get some new blood in there!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe that Bill Ruger has always been far and away primarily interested in sporting firearms. The defensive pistols he designed were intended for police and military but they offer them to the public because a sale is a sale. Same thing with the Mini 14. It was meant for LE sales, but they don't mind selling them to civilians. But, the rifle is built the way Ruger envisioned it for the purpose it is to serve, and variations are not worth the time and trouble.

I have owned many Rugers over the years, and still own four right now. But I have not forgotten nor forviven Bill Ruger for his short-sighted attitude when he stabbed us in the back with his support for the magazine ban in 1994. He saw this legislation as no threat to his product line, while hampering his competition. Or maybe he genuinely feels civilians should not have high capacity firearms. Either way, I will never own a Ruger made after 1993.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rediculious, they are no more going to come here, than build a HB Mini. There are companies all over that specialize in Custom Mini`s. This was built and designed from the ground up as a compact utility rifle, nothing more. They missed the boat on the 10/22 market (custom), you think there going to rethink the Mini, when it`s sales are one tenth of the 10/22.......doubtful, maybe when something freeze`s down below. I got no problem with ole Bill in his past drunkin stupor trying on the 10 round magazine ban, he had absolutely NO influence.......though many think he did. He was trying, though in a fog, to corner a part of the market.....flawed as may have been. I have never, not been able to purchase a high capacity magazine. Maybe some of you should speak so loudly to the STATES than ban them anyway....though they are still legal to own and buy (preban) You think the supplies are limited, you can buy thousands and thousands all day. Want to know why......or do you. Please! LTS

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Getting a bit off topic... I will contact Ruger as soon as I get a chance, and we'll see how they react, if at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.