Perfect Union banner

Should I sell?

6K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  Old Navy 
#1 ·
I've just lately realized that prices on gun broker are sky high.

I have a nice old Davidson's walnut stock tactical model .223 Ranch.

I don't have a great attachment to it.

Does it make sense to sell it now and take advantage of the gun broker prices?

See less See more
#2 ·
Your rifle your choice, but no I would keep it. That's a sweet looking piece and the fact is that you're only getting paid in US dollars, which are rapidly devaluing. Even if you got another Mini on hand that you like better, remember that two is one and one is none.

Just my opinions, worth every (soon to be worthless) penny you paid for 'em.
Grumpy

#3 ·
I'm not sure I want to know how much they're actually selling for. I have one with the polymer stock. That one looks really nice. My instinct is not to sell. Buying and selling firearms involves hassles that other things don't. That rifle will hold its value. But do you really like it? Does it bring you more satisfaction than the money you could receive for it would?

Reactions: Logos
#4 ·
Nothing wrong with sell guns and find other things that make you feel good. I bought guns that I thought I like at the time, but later felt not that attached to those too. So they ended sitting in the safe for a long time. Lately I am more than willing to trade away guns to get something else I wanted.

#9 ·
Yes, and there is also the fact that I'm running out of storage space.

Recently I've found a few bargains on bolt-actions and others that are readily available and not in high demand like the semi-autos.

So, yes........it is partly a matter of changing over to other things.

#10 ·
I think our rifles will be worth their weight in gold and silver in the very short future.

Prices have gone up because worth of currency has gone down. Same products go for more dollars these days. That's what happens when you inject 25% of the total USD ever minted during just the last 2 years. The trend will continue.
You could be right.

But I remember the last "crisis" when ARs and Ranch Rifles went sky high and a couple years later prices had dropped by half and more and the shelves were full.

Will it be the same this time? Maybe.

#6 ·
For another angle... I've made a moral/ethical decision not to sell anything on Gunbroker at this time, unless I put it up for a pre-election, pre-pandemic reasonable buy-it-now price. I won't be a part of the "Great Betrayal" of my fellow gun owners and 2A patriots. I'm sure that's how it will be seen looking back at these times years from now. So there's that.

Reactions: Gary8907
#12 ·
I read about the Mini-14 a year before I finally purchased one, and went into ownership knowing some of its inherit problems. After some to do's (thanks to information found on this website), can now group 1.5" @ 100yds on a good day. Can't tell you what to do, but I've made my rifle a keeper.

Unfortunately, ammo has also increased in that same time frame by 100%.

#22 ·
I read about the Mini-14 a year before I finally purchased one, and went into ownership knowing some of its inherit problems. After some to do's (thanks to information found on this website), can now group 1.5" @ 100yds on a good day. Can't tell you what to do, but I've made my rifle a keeper.

Unfortunately, ammo has also increased in that same time frame by 100%.

Minute of Golfball is good enough!

#13 ·
Yes, I know there will be seller's remorse if I do sell it.

It's a hard decision.

#14 · (Edited)
IDK about selling. All depends on User needs. Logos has not stated such, so no way a decent answer can be given.

FWIW, I have some reasons to doubt Logos' political views, based on his longstanding comments in "Political" forum. See for yourself. YMMV.

Not a Genius, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If such rifles are somehow banned in the future, their value will only increase in other locales.

Strongly suggest further comments be made in "Political" forum. with links here, as appropriate..

#15 ·
IDK about selling. All depends on User needs. Logos has not stated such, so no way a decent answer can be given.

FWIW, I have some reasons to doubt Logos' political views, based on his longstanding comments in "Political" forum. See for yourself.

Not a Genius, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If such rifles are somehow banned in the future, their value will only increase in other locales.
I've given my reasons for selling. You must have missed it.

My political position is Moderate, although a few stances will be Left or Right......mostly middle.

If this rifle is banned it will be due to the threaded barrel.......which I could replace to make it legal.

I guess that potential expense is another strike against it.

#17 ·
Well, we can't all agree on everything or this board would be pretty boring.

:D

#28 · (Edited)
Concur. Some folks have firearms without a paper trail. These are firearms legally transferred without Fed/State paperwork. Perhaps inherited/legally bought FTF, or as gifts. I'd never sell such, and carefully store them and their ammo/accessories/mags. Don't keep all your eggs in the same basket!

Any other "Papered" firearm is possibly subject to future registration, and eventual confiscation. Possibly fair game for selling.

Concur with some remarks about bolt-action firearms prices not being quite so inflated as semi-auto firearms prices.

Unfortunately, the bolters seen at LGS are a sad lot. YMMV. Wouldn't buy any of them without a thorough going-over by qualified gunsmith.

#19 ·
I've just lately realized that prices on gun broker are sky high.

I have a nice old Davidson's walnut stock tactical model .223 Ranch.

I don't have a great attachment to it.

Does it make sense to sell it now and take advantage of the gun broker prices?
If you don't have a great attachment to it, why not "convert" it (via the cash from the sale) to something you'd enjoy more or would rather have? I've recently been going through a bunch of my "stuff" that I've had for 20-30+ years. Much of it is older automotive parts and various collectibles. I probably don't really have a need for some of it anymore, and it's just taking up space. I've been reevaluating what I'll be needing in the future, and there are things that probably won't be of much use to me, soon. I recently converted a ton of old 1960s/1970s LP records into $500. I still haven't decided what to do with the proceeds.

#20 ·
Just checked gunbroker, didn't really see any prices on Minis that would tear one from my fingers, unless I was about to be homeless if I didn't sell. It looked like most of the Minis were going for just south of a grand in USD fiat. MSRP on new Minis is actually north of that so no, its not a game I would play, particularly since the rifle in question apparently works okay and you have already taken the "paperwork hit" (i.e. there is a 4473 out there with your name on it). If it was FTF to you (no paper), it should not be for sale at any price ever, but that's just my opinion.

Grumpy

#23 ·
No, I don't sell any "no paper" guns, I hang onto them.

The main problem is I've hung onto to many and I need to thin the herd.

The one I'm considering selling is a bit odd with the walnut stock and may bring a bit more of a premium than the ordinary Mini.

#24 ·
If it's your only mini, I would recommend keeping it. It could be the only .223/5.56 semi-auto that survives a legislative onslought by the Donkey party. Also, the current devaluation of the dollar makes it unwise to dispose of unless you are desperate to feed, or house yourself. I'd offload some bolt guns first.

#25 ·
I do have another ranch rifle in .223.

I'm actually buying bolt guns now because I can find deals on them. Everybody seems to be looking for semi-autos.
The gun market is strange right now, but there are always things to exploit and make gains.

#30 ·
At almost 75, I've gotten to be older than almost everybody.

:)

But I'm not just "getting rid" of stuff because I'm old. I figure the survivors can have an auction when I'm gone.

I'll buy if I find a bargain and sell if the market favors me. It favors me on the current item of discussion.

And, as I said, I want to make some room in the overcrowded safe.

#35 ·
Gun Broker. I'm a believer in the auction process.

I'll let you know if and when I put it up for auction.

It's NIB with three mags.

#37 ·
Well, thanks to all for the good advice.

My take on the consensus is that it came to this: "Go ahead and sell if you want, but you'll probably regret it."

Made me realize I was already regretting it.

So..........selling is on hold for now.

Reactions: grumpy_old_man
#38 ·
I'm an old guy and one thing I've learned in my 8+ decades is to be very careful what you sell that you like. You may miss it more as you get older and if it cannot reasonably be replaced you'll kick yourself. How often I think of my Commercial M-1911 with it's Ace conversion, the Luger, the M-29 8", the pre-64 Winchesters, the mint 1903 with the C stock, on and on. And, it's not just guns, either, but don't get me started...

Ralph

#40 ·
FWIW: Recently I had a mini 14 (model 180) and have a mini 14 (model 181). Since they are not my only rifles I decided to sell the 180 (hard to install a scope of that model). Went to local gun store. No auction, he took it on consignment. He priced it at $999 sold it within days. With a 25% handling fee I cleared $749.25.

Reactions: Logos
#42 ·
Thanks. I know that's practical and valid advice.

I'm just really on the alert for seller's remorse. I've run into it before. I don't regret EVERY gun I've ever sold........but I really regret some.

#44 ·
Well, so far...........I'm hanging on to the Davidson's Ranch Rifle.

But, I can report that prices are indeed great for sellers.

Sold a Browning bolt action 12 gauge for over $1300. Paid $800.

The big surprise was a Marlin 1894C .357 carbine. Second year production gun like new in the box.

Bought it for $650 a few years ago and I knew that was a bargain........I just didn't know that it was a huge bargain.

It sold for over $2500. Auction got stuck at $1325 for a few days, but then just went up and up.

At that price I have zero seller's remorse.

So.........if you have some guns you may want to sell, now is the time.

I'm pondering my nice Davidson's Ranch Rifle all over again..........Will I sell? Hmmmmm........

#45 ·
Dang it, now I can't this song out of my head!!

This indecision's buggin' me (esta indecisión me molesta)
If you don't want me, set me free (Si no me quieres, librame)
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be (Dime! ¿Qué tengo ser?)
Don't you know which clothes even fit me? (No sabes que ropas me queda)
Come on and let me know (Pero tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow? (¿Me debo ir o quedarme?)

#46 ·
Dang it, now I can't this song out of my head!!

This indecision's buggin' me (esta indecisión me molesta)
If you don't want me, set me free (Si no me quieres, librame)
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be (Dime! ¿Qué tengo ser?)
Don't you know which clothes even fit me? (No sabes que ropas me queda)
Come on and let me know (Pero tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow? (¿Me debo ir o quedarme?)
It truly is a hard decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.