Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just lately realized that prices on gun broker are sky high.

I have a nice old Davidson's walnut stock tactical model .223 Ranch.

I don't have a great attachment to it.

Does it make sense to sell it now and take advantage of the gun broker prices?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Your rifle your choice, but no I would keep it. That's a sweet looking piece and the fact is that you're only getting paid in US dollars, which are rapidly devaluing. Even if you got another Mini on hand that you like better, remember that two is one and one is none.

Just my opinions, worth every (soon to be worthless) penny you paid for 'em.
Grumpy

·
Registered
34,705 Posts
I'm not sure I want to know how much they're actually selling for. I have one with the polymer stock. That one looks really nice. My instinct is not to sell. Buying and selling firearms involves hassles that other things don't. That rifle will hold its value. But do you really like it? Does it bring you more satisfaction than the money you could receive for it would?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nothing wrong with sell guns and find other things that make you feel good. I bought guns that I thought I like at the time, but later felt not that attached to those too. So they ended sitting in the safe for a long time. Lately I am more than willing to trade away guns to get something else I wanted.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Does it make sense to sell it now and take advantage of the gun broker prices? View attachment 64424
I think our rifles will be worth their weight in gold and silver in the very short future.

Prices have gone up because worth of currency has gone down. Same products go for more dollars these days. That's what happens when you inject 25% of the total USD ever minted during just the last 2 years. The trend will continue.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,584 Posts
For another angle... I've made a moral/ethical decision not to sell anything on Gunbroker at this time, unless I put it up for a pre-election, pre-pandemic reasonable buy-it-now price. I won't be a part of the "Great Betrayal" of my fellow gun owners and 2A patriots. I'm sure that's how it will be seen looking back at these times years from now. So there's that.

Reactions: Gary8907

·
Registered
43 Posts
For another angle... I've made a moral/ethical decision not to sell anything on Gunbroker at this time, unless I put it up for a pre-election, pre-pandemic reasonable buy-it-now price. I won't be a part of the "Great Betrayal" of my fellow gun owners and 2A patriots. I'm sure that's how it will be seen looking back at these times years from now. So there's that.
How much are gas prices up? Wood? Ammo? Food? It's not charging more, our dollars are just worth less.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's another way to look at it, though.

There are people looking hard for Ranch Rifles.......probably because they fear gun laws which will make it impossible to buy them.........and they're eager to buy right now even at high prices.

If I sell it now I'll make some buyer real happy and make myself a good profit.

This IS America, after all.......and win/wins that bring profit are the way we roll.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing wrong with sell guns and find other things that make you feel good. I bought guns that I thought I like at the time, but later felt not that attached to those too. So they ended sitting in the safe for a long time. Lately I am more than willing to trade away guns to get something else I wanted.
Yes, and there is also the fact that I'm running out of storage space.

Recently I've found a few bargains on bolt-actions and others that are readily available and not in high demand like the semi-autos.

So, yes........it is partly a matter of changing over to other things.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think our rifles will be worth their weight in gold and silver in the very short future.

Prices have gone up because worth of currency has gone down. Same products go for more dollars these days. That's what happens when you inject 25% of the total USD ever minted during just the last 2 years. The trend will continue.
You could be right.

But I remember the last "crisis" when ARs and Ranch Rifles went sky high and a couple years later prices had dropped by half and more and the shelves were full.

Will it be the same this time? Maybe.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,584 Posts
How much are gas prices up? Wood? Ammo? Food? It's not charging more, our dollars are just worth less.

It's not that simple. This is not the new normal. Firearm prices will plummet from this artificial high in the future. I've been through times like these before. It will right itself.

What we're seeing on Gunbroker is just plain old fashioned scalping... criminal opportunism. People and organizations with the funds starting buying everything up from legitimate sources.

Legitimate online gun stores that we've been familiar with for years took a while to wise up. We're now seeing many of them limiting the number of guns and amount of ammunition they will sell to one buyer. They're placing limits to thwart "flippers" which is another way of saying scalpers.

And when new stock does come in the prices at reputable gun outlets are about the same as they were a year ago. For example, I bought a couple CZ magazines on Gunbroker recently for what was just a bit higher than usual. The fact that Gunbroker is now charging taxes, including unlawfully taxing the shipping costs made it not such a great deal.

A week later I got an email from Lanbo's Armory that those same magazines were back in stock. Indeed they were and at lower price, lower shipping and no taxes. I could have saved 20+ dollars had I waited one more week.

We're in the beginning phase of a transition back to normal. If people want to take advantage of the tail end of the panic I suppose they will, but I'll have none of it.

You can also trust me to be alone with your daughter. I'll guard and protect her even if the group changes and says it's ok to exploit her vulnerabilities.

I have my own high standards that I will not compromise. I carry civilization in my heart through chaos, so when civilization starts coming to it's senses, I'm already there waiting to help put our society back together.

~Beck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read about the Mini-14 a year before I finally purchased one, and went into ownership knowing some of its inherit problems. After some to do's (thanks to information found on this website), can now group 1.5" @ 100yds on a good day. Can't tell you what to do, but I've made my rifle a keeper.

Unfortunately, ammo has also increased in that same time frame by 100%.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I know there will be seller's remorse if I do sell it.

It's a hard decision.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
IDK about selling. All depends on User needs. Logos has not stated such, so no way a decent answer can be given.

FWIW, I have some reasons to doubt Logos' political views, based on his longstanding comments in "Political" forum. See for yourself. YMMV.

Not a Genius, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If such rifles are somehow banned in the future, their value will only increase in other locales.

Strongly suggest further comments be made in "Political" forum. with links here, as appropriate..

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IDK about selling. All depends on User needs. Logos has not stated such, so no way a decent answer can be given.

FWIW, I have some reasons to doubt Logos' political views, based on his longstanding comments in "Political" forum. See for yourself.

Not a Genius, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If such rifles are somehow banned in the future, their value will only increase in other locales.
I've given my reasons for selling. You must have missed it.

My political position is Moderate, although a few stances will be Left or Right......mostly middle.

If this rifle is banned it will be due to the threaded barrel.......which I could replace to make it legal.

I guess that potential expense is another strike against it.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
I've given my reasons for selling. You must have missed it.

My political position is Moderate, although a few stances will be Left or Right......mostly middle.

If this rifle is banned it will be due to the threaded barrel.......which I could replace to make it legal.

I guess that potential expense is another strike against it.
Logos, based on your posts in Political forum, I agree with some of your posts, but disagree with most of them

No offense intended, just stating my position. Possibly, we could get together for a beer or two, and become friends. Our previous posts seem to mitigate against that, but I am always open to discussion.

I suggest such discussion be done in public.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, we can't all agree on everything or this board would be pretty boring.

:D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have three classes of firearms:
one: never sell, preregistration possessed guns ABSOLUTE KEEPERS! (about 1/3 of my guns)
two: registered, but generally not for sale or trade unless for something better (about 1/3 of my guns)
three: firearms that I acquired to enjoy, but basically investment guns. (the final third).

·
Registered
257 Posts

Does it make sense to sell it now and take advantage of the gun broker prices?
If you don't have a great attachment to it, why not "convert" it (via the cash from the sale) to something you'd enjoy more or would rather have? I've recently been going through a bunch of my "stuff" that I've had for 20-30+ years. Much of it is older automotive parts and various collectibles. I probably don't really have a need for some of it anymore, and it's just taking up space. I've been reevaluating what I'll be needing in the future, and there are things that probably won't be of much use to me, soon. I recently converted a ton of old 1960s/1970s LP records into $500. I still haven't decided what to do with the proceeds.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Just checked gunbroker, didn't really see any prices on Minis that would tear one from my fingers, unless I was about to be homeless if I didn't sell. It looked like most of the Minis were going for just south of a grand in USD fiat. MSRP on new Minis is actually north of that so no, its not a game I would play, particularly since the rifle in question apparently works okay and you have already taken the "paperwork hit" (i.e. there is a 4473 out there with your name on it). If it was FTF to you (no paper), it should not be for sale at any price ever, but that's just my opinion.

Grumpy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts