Perfect Union banner

Should I sell my mini 14

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Jeff F 
#1 ·
I have a stainless steel mini 14 184 series (1985) I bought 10 years ago, haven't shot it. It was a spur of the moment buy and probably won't miss it. I have other rifles in .223.
I am wondering if I should sell it?

#5 ·
Why haven't I shot it; I don't know? I haven't shot half the guns I owned - just never get around to having a shoot out. Mostly I use a 10/22 for *****, 30-06, 270, and 30-30 for deer.

Why sell any guns; Cash needed! Bills! and affraid of our Dictator Obama!

#14 ·
If you don't need it now would be a good time to sell it since the prices are up.
And that's about it; only if you can get Max Buck$ for it. Otherwise, I keep going back to the old "better to have a gun and not need it" thing.

If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough (applies to ammo too).
Bought a few just to spite that SOB though.
:lol: More proof that Great Minds Think Alike.

#9 ·
Actually to me it seems like prices are starting to go back down. I visited a LGS that had a NEW Sig M400 Magpul edition for $1399, used to be $2299 and approx. $1000 before the price hikes. They had an M&P15 for $1299. They also had a DPMS Oracle for $999 and those before the price hike was around $550-650. So prices are going down slowly. So you may want to sell it now while you can get maximum price for it. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

#12 ·
Gun Broker

I agree:
I was just out to gun broker and saw several bushmasters at normal pricing. The mini's are a hoot, guys still hav e them at a grand or more and sprinkled in are the $500.00 to $600 range.
Almost no, every firearm I sold I regretted selling later. But I am an owner not a wheeler dealer.
Keep it unless you absolutely need the money.
CH

#15 ·
I guess the biggest reason other than $$$$ that I am willing to sell it is I don't like the fact I can't mount a stable scope on it. Yeah I put a Aimtech scout rail on it - but can't find an affordable scout scope. The scope mount that came with it was the crappy cantilever screw on the side type.

#16 ·
Hi sharky8js;

Hmmm, so lack of a suitable scope mount is a problem?

Have you considered using the Mini 14 as an iron sighted carbine, good to maybe 200 yds with irons? The Tech Sights package is very good and they make a really nice drop in replacement for the older generation sights. I put a set on my Mini 14 GB 14/20 model and really love 'em!

Failing that, do some searching for scope mounting techniques or packages for the older series Mini - I have read that it has been done successfully with some of the clamp on packages but never scoped any of my older gen minis - no first hand experience here.

Good luck and all the best,
Grumpy

#17 ·
You can scope that Mini. I have a 185 series with a B Square side mount. I don't leave my scope on the rifle very much, I shoot the factory irons most of the time. The other day we had a couple coyotes over at my friends place causing problems, I put the scope on and hammered one out around 150 yards out. That scope had not been on my rifle in over three months, scope has been in a case in my pack riding around in the back of my jeep. It holds zero and returns to zero just fine and I have had it on and off that rifle a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.