Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
401 Posts
Cerakote or Duracoat

I like the idea of coatings. If applied properly I think it adds value to the gun.

I am in the planning stages of coating my Mini 14 Target. I am still trying to decide which coating to use. Anyone know of any major differences?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I painted my Mini 4 in 1980 following a botched parkerizing job which left blotches. I got something called MG-Coat and sprayed it then baked it after allowing it to air dry. It gives an extra measure of corrosion protection and it has Teflon in the paint. Newer coatings have been developed since then and Cerakote will be more durable.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm getting ready to send my 9 mil off to have it cerakoted. I called and asked the place a few questions. It is a ceramic bake on finish but for plastic parts that won't handle 250 degrees there is an air dry process also. The parts to be coated are stripped with aluminum oxide media blasting and then heated to bake any oils out.

I read about some durability test that I think was done in the military. The guns were service Berettas. The cerakote gun finish supposedly was the best.

Cerakote has some sort of slippery characteristic or lubricating something built in so parts that move against each other glide easier. It also is like a mil to 2 mils build up so its fairly thin and should not cause parts to bind since the parts have been taken down to bare white metal before coating.

I didn't think to ask if it holds in heat. Since it is ceramic it should pass heat through like other ceramic coatings(guessing). There is a high temp cerakote for headers and exhaust that is supposed to handle 2000 degrees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.