Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini 14 hurls brass like, well, a Mini 14. I'm not sure if these were hitting the pillar beside me on the range or clipping the back of the receiver. Either way, should I bother saving them? I don't reload today, but I may someday.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If they are Boxer primed brass then certainly not---send them to me for proper disposal---LOL. Seriously, if they are brass I would keep them Boxer or Berdan. I have boxes of them saved just in case they become unavailable.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a big flat spot is no problem? Other than review the concept, I have not reloaded any caliber.

And that's why I'm saving them. Of course I've got no bullets, primers, powder or the $500 worth of equipment it takes to reload them...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Flattened bad, dinged no problem.
Yours just have baby dings in them.
Worst case you simply run a Phillips screwdriver into the mouth before sizing.

Body dents are even less of a problem than mouth dents, 60,000psi will smooth out a lot of dents/dings

·
Registered
236 Posts
.223 Rem. brass is worth about 2 cents each based on $1.50 a pound scrap rate. Most reloaders should value it higher, but you'll have to find a willing buyer. I offer up to 5 cents each locally, but I'm not here to be your personal scrap dealer.
Here's a general scrap price guide: .Metal Prices | Southeast Auto Recycle Inc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good reloadable 5.56 brass is bringing about 10 cents each at shows and around that on many gun forums. Definitely save your brass, that's a very minor problem and easy to remove the dent. BTW it comes when the brass is ejected and hits the upper. Look on your upper behind the ejection port for brass colored marks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's called a dent.. Keep them ,it's a normal occurance with mini's and other semi's . When you run them through a sizer they will look good as new and will perform as expected.

Now if you get a heavy "Taco looking crease" then you should hold them suspect. Cut them for "300 black out" or put them into your recycle bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I have a box of brass that looks just like that. Not sure what to do with it cuz i dont reload. I have it only because my local range doesnt have dividers between lanes so with out a brass catcher i dink everybody in the 6 lanes to the right with hot brass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts