Perfect Union banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 580 series mini with pencil barrel and leupold 3x9 a couple weeks ago. I have shot it about 4 times at my back yard range. I am shooting it better each time. My 50 yard groups are a consistent 1.25 with bipod on plastic table. I have shot several 3 shot groups at .50. Should I do the trigger or strut for better groups? THANKS!!!:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Break it in first to establish an accuracy baseline then I would start with a trigger job and stock bedding by GunDoc. Then re-baseline again, then if you want more go with accustrut.

·
Registered
397 Posts
+1 Good advice Old Navy.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I bought this 580 series mini with pencil barrel and leupold 3x9 a couple weeks ago. I have shot it about 4 times at my back yard range. I am shooting it better each time. My 50 yard groups are a consistent 1.25 with bipod on plastic table. I have shot several 3 shot groups at .50. Should I do the trigger or strut for better groups? THANKS!!!:)
Try different ammo first. Each gun will hate certain ammo, and like others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
... I have shot it about 4 times at my back yard range. I am shooting it better each time. My 50 yard groups are a consistent 1.25 with bipod on plastic table. I have shot several 3 shot groups at .50. Should I do the trigger or strut for better groups? THANKS!!!:)
Sounds like you are improving nicely since your first post. My vote goes for the trigger job.

·
Registered
75 Posts
what next?

I forget where I read it but it has been said that a trigger job is one of the biggest factors in any accurizing project. The triggers that I have either improved myself or had professionally done have greatly improved the shootability of that gun. I say trigger job first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I have gotten better at shooting my mini, but I think the rifle is shooting better. The guy I bought it from said that he may have shot it 100 times but, the wear marks did not show that. I have put a hundred through it and now I see some rub marks from the rod.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The trigger doesn't bother me so I got the barrel strut. I may or may not ever have the trigger worked on. It isn't a sniper rifle anyways. Already have one of those.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like the looks of the mini without a strut. When you look at"Gun Doc" site, he has good results without the strut.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Gundoc does and awesome trigger job!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe the trigger is one major upgrade that should take priority.It being your link to function and control.
When I look at a new firearm,the trigger is always at the top of the list.
I wish Ruger would adapt the accutrigger Savage has to the mini.This would be hands down the best thing they could ever do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the trigger on my Ruger 77/17 was bad and it showed by the groups I was shooting. After a VQ kit, it is a nice little 17hmr now. I think I will do the trigger and see how it shoots. I will never fire this Mini a lot. I have been using my .17 as my critter getter but I wanted something bigger that I could also use as a deer rifle. If I can get a good 3-shot two inch group, I will call it done. I have done it but not consistent.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Should I do the trigger or strut for better groups?
That really depends on how bad your trigger is. The stock trigger on my 581 series black Mini has a crisp break either side of 5 lb and does not get in my way. My newer stainless Mini has a much neavier pull that is gritty to boot - the trigger return spring seems to be a large contributor to the pull weigth here.

In any event, I shoot 2 inch 20 round groups offhand at 25 yards using open sights with both of them.

If you are shooting groups off a bench the trigger probably does not affect you that much, unless it is horendous.

Bottom line: it is your call.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just an added note to my previous post. I noted steps in this order. First, break-in (may not be an issue in this case). then fire for baseline accuracy with decent brass cased ammo you intend to stock pile and use the most of. Then start with a trigger and bedding job from Gun Doc. Then baseline agqain using the same ammo under the same conditions. I prefer shooting for tactical accuracy with iron sights. Not a bench rest person.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts