Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the AR-15 type rifles and am having a hard time justifying the cost. It seems to me that the Mini-14(ranch) would be a better value. My question is does it have the same capabilities as an AR as far as accuracy out to 300 yds.? Any imput would be a great help!

Thanks,

Stetson

No Longer Involved
AR-15's are generally, but not always, more accurate.

I'd look at the total package price in addition to your needs (defense, varmints, competition, etc).

Remember, you can get a postban AR-15 for $800 or so. If you add a dozen mags, that will go up by an additional $240 for good used USGI mags (20 or 30rd)

A dozen Mini-14 magazines will run you anywhere from $360 for fairly reliable PMI mags, to $1200 (and as high as $1800) for a dozen Ruger Factory 30rd magazines.

I own an AR15 and will soon have a Mini.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill- Thanks for the reply.I am more concerned with cost vs. accuracy value than with capacity. I would like to be able to print 2" groups at between 200-250 yds. with a scope. I think both guns SHOULD be capable of this but I don't have the experience with the guns to know for sure.

Registered
I have a Mini and a couple of ARs. The ARs in standard configuration *may* be capable of the MOA performance you require. The Mini is not.

Registered
2 to 3 moa is considered acceptable accuracy for a combat rifle, and that's the standard both stock Colt's and Ruger's shoot for.

It's theoretically possible that you MIGHT get a 1 moa rifle from the factory, if it was built on a really good day, and all the tolerances stacked up just right. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Either gun CAN be tuned to that 1 moa standard, if you're willing to throw enough money at the project.

Because it is the standard military rifle, the NRA competition boys got interested in acurizing the AR-15 many years ago and there are now a whole bunch of aftermarket parts available for the Colt at prices that, while not cheap, are at least held down by competition from numerous manufacturers.

By contrast, there are fewer people making parts for the Mini-14, and only a few custom gunsmiths who specialize in working on it.

Bottom line: it is certainly possible to send your Mini out to someone like Jim Clark or Acuracy Rifle Systems and get back a moa rifle, but don't expect it to be cheap.

A political note - I live in New York, and they have been trying to pass an "assault weapons" ban here. As presently written, if they ever pass it, AR-15's would be illegal, but Mini-14's would NOT be, at least if I ditch my large capacity mags and stick to 10 rounders.

Something to factor into the equation if you are trying to decide between the two.

Regards
John

------------------
Please visit the Second Amendment Yellow Pages
RKBA!

Registered
If you are debating the cost of magazines with an AR 15 remember this. You can buy a AR15 magazine, drill a hole in the back side of it and it will fit the Ruger Mini 14. Buy a preban, you will have more options of customizing it to what you want. If you buy a new "Ranch Rifle" you won't be satisfied. I bought my #183 in original factory condition. Two days later and thanks to the local gun show, it now has a bayonet, flash hider with bayonet lug, B Square scope mount, Simmons 3x9 40mm, 30 nickel magazine. Total price $675, you wouldn't even get an AR15 in any condition for that price. Besides if you want something that looks militant, look at the different options with folding stocks and bullpup type accessories. You have a lot more options with the 14 than the 15.

No Longer Involved
AR-15 mags working in a Ruger Mini-14? Pardon me, but what ARE you smoking?

The Mini-14 has a narrow channel mag slot near the front. It can't accept a USGI AR-15 magazine.

Period.

------------------
[email protected]
http://perfectunion.com/

Registered
The Mini is fine for its design purpose...a durable, inexpensive 100-yd gun. I'd be really surprised if you get a factory Mini that shoots under 3" at 100 yds, let alone 250.

I've owned a stainless Mini Ranch. With no modifications and a decent scope, it'd shoot four or five inches at 100 yds., assuming I didn't try to shoot more rapidly than a shot every five minutes or so.

On the other hand, I have a Bushmaster Shorty carbine that I bought for $650, about four years ago. Free-floated the barrel with a DPMS tube ($40), added JP Trigger/hammer combo, for a 2#, creepless pull. ($135).

With my handloads and Berger bullets, I've shot a bunch of .5" five-shot groups at 100 yds. off the bench. My Bushy has never failed to feed or fire in several thousand rounds.

If you can't afford the AR, get the Mini, but just don't expect 2" at 200 yds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts