Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at doing a trigger job myself. Could someone point me to some more info on this since I have never done it. Also, if I shortened my barrel to 16 1/2 with a muzzle brake, would lessening my barrel whip out weigh my loss of velocity? I really don't shoot over 100-150 yds.
Thanks,

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Mike, for what it's worth, Mike Knifong at Northwest Shooters Support did my trigger gob. It came in at a smooth 3 1/2 lbs. I got a Gas Port Kit & Trigger Job Combo for $50. If you are going to attempt this yourself, I found this on another forum. ( its a crumby forum compared to this one). It sounds good but haven't tried it.
"Do your Own Get some Clover brand water soluble valve lapping compound in extra fine grit at your local auto parts store, and use it to lap in your trigger parts. Much easier than stones or a dremel. Just put some in where the trigger and sear meet and work the trigger back, and forth till it smooths out. Very easy to do and the result is a fabulously smooth Mini-14 trigger."
I would also put in a lighter trigger spring. Brownells has one. ($2.16) Not shure of the tension though. I would not use a dremmel! it will take off too much metal I would do it by hand and only smooth the metal. Also I read somewhere not to change the sear angle or you may create a ram firing monster!! If I were attempting this, I'd get a snap cap, and fishing scale, to do a before and after check to see how much it improved. I would not cut the barrel on my mini. There are some that did on this forum don't recall it making any accuracy improvement. Maby someone else can comment on this. Hope this helps some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts