Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I wouldn't unless you like hot brass thrown in your face at high velocity!
Those casings come zinging out HARD and to the rear. It might clear your head but I never wanted to tyr it and have never shot the rifle "off-hand" so to speak.
I'm sure someone here does though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cavalry Jim,

I'm a lefty, and have no problems firing the Mini's. In fact the mini is set up great for a lefty. The left trigger finger sets right along side of the safty at the ready. Also the oprod is controlled by the off hand while the firing hand stays at the ready. The brass makes no contact during ejection, mine go about 45 degrees to the front, but I have a regular gas bushing and no buffer.

In the Army the only weapon I had to fire right handed was the M60 .;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another Lefty

I am a lefty and have fired many semi-autos with no problem. The mini is one of my favorite rifles and I have no problems with it. The brass does not come close to my face.

Reactions: RJF

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
That question was asked about 3 years ago. I went to the range and fired my Mini Ranch Rifle left handed. No problem, except it felt weird as I'm a righty + I'm "Right Eye Dominant". I get a kick out of watching a movie with the bad guy, or the deputy shooting right handed but sighting with his left eye. It looks like might even hurt trying to do it.

http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36491&highlight=left+handed

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I used to shoot lefty. Was left eye dominant, but it's also my weak eye. When I got the Mini the brass was not the problem, I just don't like that 'ol bad gass that comes out with it. So I trained my right eye to be dominant. It felt kind'a wierd at first and I couldn't hit doodly for a while if I tried to hurry, but the more I shot the easier it became. Now it's basicly natural and to shoot lefty feels wierd.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm left-handed and I have no problems with my Mini-14 or my M1 Garand. The Mini tosses brass about 30-45 degrees to the front or sometimes at 90 degrees. In stock form, the brass would fly a good 20-25 feet :eek: but after I added a smaller gas port bushing, the cases now only travel 5-6 feet.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,173 Posts
As-is, the Mini-14/Mini-30 seems designed for left-handed shooters.

I dont think you have anything to be worried about.

When my eyes/eyeglasses got problematic, I transitioned to Left-side shooting of some common semi-auto firearms, and found that shooting them Left-handed was a LOT easier/more natural than shooting them Right-handed.

Suggest giving both Right and Left Handed shooting techniques a long and fair comparison.

Suggest that most shooters should train to shoot their semi-auto firearms from both shoulders, just in case.

In my case, I went from being a Right-side shooter to a Left-side shooter--with most Semi-auto firearms. Surprised me, but there it is. Keep an open mind! YMMV.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been shooting right handed guns for 67 of my 73 years.
No problem whatsoever with my Mini 14.
Or Garand, or M1A.
In fact the only real trouble I ever had was with the selector switch on my Colt M16A1. When the kimchee is deep one does not need to be fumbling with his weapon.
Bolt actions are slow for a leftie, but I enjoy firing my old WW2 rifles.
So far, I have only made one concession - a Savage M93 left handed bolt 22WMR.

Reactions: M92PV4U

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Left-handed, right-eye dominant. I shoot lefty with my Minis.

My early days in the Army (1975), the M-16s sent casings into my right cheek. Until the Army came up with a clamp-on deflector, the solution was a 4" X 4" gauze pad taped to my cheek.

Never had a problem with the Minis.

·
AKA CRABBY
1,614 Posts
Left-handed, right-eye dominant. I shoot lefty with my Minis.

My early days in the Army (1975), the M-16s sent casings into my right cheek. Until the Army came up with a clamp-on deflector, the solution was a 4" X 4" gauze pad taped to my cheek.

Never had a problem with the Minis.
I went through Ft. ord ca. in 68 an my drill sgt. saw that I was left handed,told me I was not gonna shoot like a funny person an I learned to shoot my m16 right handed,an did Ok,(marksman)Soon as I got out I went back to being a lefty...

·
Formerly "raf"
4,173 Posts
I went through Ft. ord ca. in 68 an my drill sgt. saw that I was left handed,told me I was not gonna shoot like a funny person an I learned to shoot my m16 right handed,an did Ok,(marksman)Soon as I got out I went back to being a lefty...
Submit that your Drill Sargeant was likely as "Green" in his job as you were as a recruit. Suggest that he would not make same remarks in light of his later knowledge, but who knows?

Having shot the M-1 Carbine, Mini-14/30, M1, M1A and other similar semi-auto rifles, they all seem to be designed for Lefty shooters with bolt handle of their Right side of the rifle.

The only Semi-auto rifle I shoot right-handed is my FAL, and that's on account of the bolt handle being on the LEFT side of the rifle.

YMMV.

·
AKA CRABBY
1,614 Posts
Ya gotta remember RIBob,this was 1969,my DI was farily new,a combat vet,an young,at that time the world was a diff place though, an whatever his reason was he felt it was necessary,plus he an the other DI's there, all had the same vocabulary and use of choice words an phrases,as did the recruits.
Not many were politically correct,Woke,Identity or gender challenged,or anything else we are challenged with today...But as you point out,it seems semi autos do work well with lefty's...

·
Formerly "raf"
4,173 Posts
I totally get your response. DI's back when were told how to rapidly produce recruits into decent-level Marines/Soldiers. I hope initial training has gotten better.

As said, only semi-auto firearm I now fire right-handed is my FAL, Izzy bolt handle being on the LEFT side of the firearm. YMMV, and all respect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts