Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just pi$$ed off. Within the passed 20-25 years or so, I've watched one range after another close down, especially in Orange County; Silverado, South Coast, Lake Forest, to name a few. From what I hear, mostly due to Irvine Company's refusal to renew leases.
Now there's talk of converting El Toro Marine Base into a multi-million dollar park. But no one has suggested setting aside a portion for a shooting range. Here we have an area with a shooting range and an archery range already in place and no one wants to preserve any of this?
This base has a history, where marines trained to defend this country, and no one wants to preserve a portion of this?
I just think it's a shame!:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harley,
I feel your pain. I moved out of S. Orange County last year and felt the same way you do. You either have to drive up to L.A. County to shoot at public shooting ranges or take your chances out in the desert (too many wierd things go on out there for me but my friends did it all the time).

There are still clubs in the area that you can join up and participate in. I did highpower rifle in Oceanside on the Marine base and Cowboy Action Shooting out in Corona.

The Irvine Co. will not open any discussions about shooting ranges on thier land. I knew the group of people that tried to open a range in Black Star Canyon after the toll road construction closed the rifle range in Irvine. The county wanted a deposite of several million dollars after the enviromental impact report stated that the ground would be considered toxic if the range ever closed and a clean up had to be done. The group had to walk away, they had no one willing to put that type of money up front.

Don't give up. Take the time to drive to your public outdoor and indoor ranges and support thier business. Don't give the state the fuel to add more restrictions to the shooting sport buy shooting in illegal areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts