Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for input from others on this:

I wear bifocals, and have for some time. Here is my experience with them when shooting.

When using iron sights, on either a rifle or handgun, in order to focus on the front sight, I have to look thru the lower part of my bifocals, and therefore I must tilt my head back quite a bit. I have another set of bifocals that are narrower and I don't have to tilt back near as much, so I prefer those when using iron sights.

When shooting clays, I see the rail and front bead on my shotguns, but my focus is on the clay, so I look thru the top part of my bifocals.

When using a scope, or red dot on any type of firearm, I look thru the top part of my bifocals.

One other thing. When shooting my wifes Mossgerg .22 bolt action using the peep sight, I don't really need glasses at all to focus on the front sight, and I also can focus on the front sight looking thru the top of my glasses.

Donnie D

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
My glasses are magnified on the bottom and no magnification on the top. I don't use them at all when I shoot. I wouldn't need them if my arms were longer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Evidently my right eye is crooked, going to have to learn to shoot lefty.

I just bought a set of glasses a few weeks ago and talked to the optometrist about a special set of glasses that I could use with both eyes open while shooting. He said he thought it could be done but would require some getting used to on my part. Said he could use a lens for the right that would focus on the sights and another for the left that would focus on the target.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get a pair of bifocals with the "close" part on top, instead of the bottom. I had to do this when I could no longer focus on the front sight when shooting pistol.
Flipped bifocals are not common, but they do exist. They are called "occupational" or "trades" bifocals, and are intended for plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. who work in confined spaces above their head.

Because I shoot Weaver and tilt my head, my opthalmologist also had the right bifocal moved inboard a bit to put it in the right spot. No problems with either driving or shooting.
For scoped rifle, your normal distance prescription should be good. For iron sighted rifle and pistol competition, the "right lens for front sight, left lens for target" Poor_Dog mentioned will work nicely with both eyes open, unless you are cross-dominant (like me). I still wear them, but close my left eye or wear a blinder.

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
I have blended bifocals, so there is no line. I still shoot ok but not like I used to! The good news is that on my last visit I was told my eyes are getting better, so if I live another 40 years or so I should be set! :)

Gettin' old sucks, but it beats the alternative... :eek:

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
I do ok... I can still hit a sillouette with the iron sites on the L1A1 at 500 yards consistantly. Scoped rifles are no problem, and neither is the EoTech 512 on th AR. Pistols seem to be the biggest challenge, but I still do ok with them. I am borderline with the bifocals; I could probably do without them.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I wear contact lenses . my eye doc gave me a pair of bifocal lenses to try out for free, they are great, you sacrifice a slight bit for distance vision but they are great for wearing when shooting and they don't fog up in cool weather likes glasses sometimes do. maybe an option. and contact lenses have come a long way over the years and are very comfortable to me.

Reactions: Parnelli

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
Been wearing glasses for over 40 years and never tried contacts, now I'm too broke to!

Does obamacare cover them? :lol:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Been wearing glasses for over 40 years and never tried contacts, now I'm too broke to!

Does obamacare cover them? :lol:
I don't know Man..broke too..I'm on day 45 of my 30 day pair, starting to get gritty. Lifes a bitch these days. We'll survive!

Reactions: Parnelli

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just recently started wearing glasses and have the progressive lens. Have only used my scoped rifle with the new glasses so far, and used the upper part with no problems. It's getting used to the lower part of the lens when adjusting the scope that's going to take some getting used to. I look forward to trying the new glasses out with the iron sights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.