Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cajungeo, I have a question for you or anyone else, concerning long range accuracy of your Mini-14. Have you tried it at 300 yards or more to see how it groups? I am wondering if the under 2 moa, holds up out there. :)
Also have you tried heavy, such as 69 grain bullets in it ? I am wondering if the 1 in 9 barrel would stabilize the heavier rounds enough to make them real accurate.
I might want to try a Mini-14 if it would shoot a 12 to 18 inch group at 600 yards. At that range you need the heavy bullets for wind resistance. Or so I have read.
The 30 is nice but the 14 shoots the better long range round.
I know, get a bolt-gun, M1a, AR..... not gonna happen.
thanks

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey bam bam, No I have not fired my mini at 300 yds yet. I am putting the final tests on a promising load. Serria 63 gr. sp with 22 gr of Rx7. I fired 2 groups of 5 one was 1.0", the other .94". I need to load up some more to see if this is real. I tried the Serria 69 gr HPBT-Match with several powders. My mini did not like them. About 2 1/2" groups. I think the 9-1 turn in a stiff barrel would work fine, but the flimsy mini barrel, just too much barrel flip. I am also going to load up some lighter 52 gr. I am working at 100 yds, so if these loads shoot 1" groups at 100 yds this translates to 3" at 300 yds. My origional project with my mini is to be able to shoot yotes, at 300 yds. I am almost there.
As far as shooting the mini with stock barrel 600 yds with any degree of accuracy, I think that would be slim odds. With a bull barrel, I would love to try it. I just don't have the extra money for that project. It might shoot with in the 12-18" groups you are talking about. I am also working on a 10/22 long rang shooter, 200-400 yds. I know they are laughing at me now, but just wait. Flip over to my post in the 10/22 section for a laugh.:p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts