Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told 2 different stories about shipping a rifle back to Ruger for repairs. One person says I need to send only the barreled receiver plus parts, and trigger group. The second person says they need the stock and hand guard also.Anyone know what the true story is? TIA

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Calvin, this is what Ruger says to do, I copied it from my manual:

SERVICE AND PARTS POLICY
If you have any questions with regard to the performance of your RIJGER~ JlINI.14~ R4NCH IUFLE please write or call (603-865-2442) our Product Service Department in Newport, New Hampshire 03773, fully describing all circumstances and conditions involved. If you should return your rifle to the factory for repair, or order parts for it, please comply with the following suggestions for prompt service:
AWARNING: BEFORE SHIPPING ANY FIREARM, BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT IT AND ITS
MAGAZINE ARE UNLOADED. DO NOT SHIP CARTRIDGES WITH A FIREARM.
SHIPPING FIREARMS FOR REPAIR
RIJGER~ JlINI.14~ R4NCH RIFLES returned to the factory for repair should be sent to: Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., Product Service Department, 411 Sunapee St., Newport, New Hampshire 03773. Telephone (603) 865-2442.
Guns should be sent prepaid. We will not accept collect shipments.
The Federal Gun Control Act, as well as the laws of most States and localities, do not prohibit an individual (who is not otherwise barred from purchasing or possessing a firearm) from shipping a firearm directly to the manufacturer for repair. However, before you ship your rifle to us, be certain that your State or locality does not have a law or regulation which will prohibit you from receiving the rifle from us after it has been repaired. If-such receiving is prohibited, then please have a Federally Licensed firearms dealer ship the gun to us. If your rifle is sent to us by a dealer, it will be returned to him after being repaired. If a handgun (pistol or revolver) is shipped by an individual who does not hold a Federal Firearms License, it must be shipped via U.P.S. Persons who do not hold a Federal Firearms License are prohibited by Federal law from shipping a handgun by Mail. Handguns mailed in violation of the law are impounded by the Post Office.
DO NOT SEND GUN BOXES OR LITERATURE THAT YOU CONSIDER TO BE COLLECTOR'S ITEMS -THESE ARE INVARIABLY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED IN SHIPMENT. Please do not include rifle case, sling, telescopic sights or custom accessories with a firearm being shipped to the factory for service. Rifles and shotguns may be shipped via Parcel Post. Always insure your shipment.
Enclose a letter which includes yoU!" name, address, telephone number, serial number and model of the firearm. Describe in detail the trouble you have experienced with your firearm, or the work you wish to have done. Merely stating that the firearm "needs repair" is inadequate information.
Work performed will bear a net minimum labor charge of $15.00 plus a $5.00 shipping and handling charge. The charge for rebluing the RIJGER~ JlINI.14~ RANCH RIFLE is $35.00 plus a $5.00 shipping and handling charge. Custom gunsmithing service or nonstandard alterations are NOT AVAILABLE from Ruger Product Service Departments.
P.S. Don't forget the insurance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
One little tip is DO NOT send them a mag with the gun. I have sent two guns to Ruger and both have come back with a new mag. I think that is just there way of saying thanks for buying Ruger.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Calvin,
Well perhaps are rifles will meet one another, as mine has been shipped off as well. My gunshop sent it back on Monday, (they did not ask me, they just did it) but I feel better as this firing pin problem is a bummer... By the way, I think I had series #195 and yours? I was lucky since they shipped it off, no shipping, insurance etc for me. Or maybe, they will bill me when they get it back!! I don't care, as I want this fixed. I was told it could take as longas 2 months!! but, they stated that it will came back sooner than that.....I will keep you all posted. I wonder if anyone from Ruger ever monitors the forums? I am also a knife nut, and at times a certain company will take a look see into the forum to gage how happy we are with their products and service...

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Being without your mini is like being without your watch. Ya take it for granted till its gone.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tady,

I'm a knife knut too. I haven't been collecting lately due to my purchase of a large decorated (numbered) and small Sebenza, and a Minandi (numbered).

After buying a couple of Chris Reeve's, many of the best Benchmades and a Microtech auto, I think I have my allotment of knives for now. Whats the new hot knife on the market?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm impressed! You have quite a collection there. I like my USMC KBAR, a machete, and Gerber & Old Timer for skinnen stuff.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an unusual knife, or bayonet. My father gave it to me and said it was given to him by friend that flew diplomats across the bering strait many moons ago. Fits a garand or so I've been told but the knife has been ground down to a hunting knife, but does have a leather covered metal scabbard. English writing, with a HAMMER AND CYCLE stamped into the handle. Guess We will never know? Says he got it from a pilot! Hummmh!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Guys, Well I am a big Microtech fan. I have been in various knife forums for many moons now. Crawfords, G. Lightfoot, Reese Weiland, etc etc etc. I have bought & sold many OTF's and DA knifes. In California, I have to watch my step.:) I love the quality and craft of the custom knife makers. Microtech, Emerson, C. Reeves and a cast of others are some of my favorites of the factory knife makers.....

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tady,

Yeah, basically anything is considered a concealed weapon there in KA. Ballpoint pen! You're going to jail, mister! Autos have to be less than 1/4" long blade or something silly like that. Man, i feel for you. Autos of any length are illegal for civis to own in WI, but you know what I say about that: screw 'em!

I've been a knifeforums.com member for quite a while. I haven't been there for many months though. I've pretty much got all the knives I want, so it diminished in interest.

I was one of the first members on the Benchmade knife forum, when Mark still worked there, and I designed the original website for Skylandscutlery.com. We were ranked number 1 in the country for 3 years straight by the IKD.

I still own a lot of Benchmades, they are the best 'cheap' knife. Of course they don't compare to Reeve or Microtech, but the price is where it gets. We think nothing of spending $300-$500 on a nice knife, whereas the general public would guess the price of my Large decorated Sebenza at $60! LOL! I guess its like cigars. Some people spend a lot of money on a single cigar, but I personally wouldn't give you a red cent for the best cigar in the world.

It was fun while it lasted. Now guns are my focus, especially the Mini. But now I'm looking at getting a Bushy, gotta do it before they get banned or something else horrible happens.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The folks at Ruger are usually a pleasure to deal with. I would insure the weapon and send it back. I know its hard to part with your baby but they are prompt about their repairs.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Satan, Yes I know exactly what you mean about switching more of my interest from knives to guns. While I still do enjoy their beauty, I haven't bought a knife in some time. In fact, I had my head buried in the knifeforums.com site while the remaining days whittled away in 1999 and lost my chance of owning an AR type rifle here in Kali :eek: I was pleased with my very expensive knives -at that time- and could have bought several AR's before the big F$%@#$*% ban... Now, I am trying to get it together firearms wise, before they ban the Mini and God knows what else!! That's why I am bummed about my broken firing pins. I will get another Mini, and perhaps even another...By the way, I have the stainless Ranch, how are the wood versions of the Rifle in terms of toughness etc? I see some with some with very nice furniture but, people tell me that in the long run, the wood tends to have more problems etc? I will let you all know when my Mini returns from Ruger and, how long it took.......
Larry

·
Registered
716 Posts
I personally like the look and feel of the wood. It gives the gun more of a classic military look. However, the polymer stocks will not warp like wood due to heat and humidity. Long-haul, yes, the polymer is better - depends on your local environment of course...
Synthetic stocks tend to melt when exposed to extreme temps. Wood ones tend to burn. ;)

My Mini-14 is wood/SS - just looks nice.
My Mini-Thirty is synthetic/SS - looks sharp, and more modern.

The synthetic stock is noticably less bulky than the wood, and provides more of a grip, with the checked forearm and trigger hand grip.
They weigh about the same.
Strength-wise, I don't know. The glass-filled resin is supposed to be stronger (by weight) than wood, but by making the stock thinner, it kind of evens this characteristic out. Since I doubt you will be using your rifle as a sledge hammer or pry-bar, strength of your stock is probably sufficient with either material.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts