Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting different thickness shims between the stock and lower gasblock?Seems that you could very the amount of downward pressure on the gasblock/barrel by doing this?I have done this with my mauser types "card upward pressure on barrel at end of forarm stock"to get marked improve groups on them.Just a idea I have been thinking about trying before going the bedding route.Any comments or lmaking fun of me welcome.As always sorry for my shiXXy spelling,I am a millwright not a english school teacher.Aldo

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not heard of any shims. But a few guys retorque the gas block and make sure the gap is the same all the way around with feeler gauges. Can't hurt to try shims, thats the only way you'll find out. My spelling [email protected]$ too.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idea came to me after looking at the heat shield/forearm liner and the way it wraps around the outside part that slips into/mates with the lower gas block.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Aldo if you are going to experiment with the shims, I will experiment with the bedding, then we will compare notes. It isn't like ya can't undo the shims if it dosen't work. Like bushwack, I figured the thickness of my barrel, aprox .167 inch. I once expanded an inside mic. in a cast iron engine block, then using only my hands, pushing inward, warped the block enough that the mic fell down. I would think the .167 inch metal on the barrel could be compressed by over tightening the gas block which would be a bad thing. I would torque only about 17 inch lbs. evenly. It might be the shiming the barrel on your mouser free floated the barrel from the stock? Do you have a wood stock on your mini? Let us know how it turns out. good - bad - no diff?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold on partner!!I am not talking about shimming the gas blocks at all,or taking them apart!Only were the stock slides into the lower gasblock.You know the part of the stock if you lookat it from the front looks like a U.Was thinking about putting different thickness shims "in a U shape" around outside of stock U.When you slide your stock into the action,the trigger group has kinda a wedge pressure" like a vicegrip" when you pull up on the trigger guard.I want to see if less or more upward pressure on the Lower gasblock will effect the mini's groups.Aldo

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would make fun of you, but I can't becuz yur spelin iz fyne. :confused:

Like cajungeo says, "It isn't like ya can't undo the shims if it dosen't work."

Let us know if this works, anything to improve my accuracy is like gold.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kind of an "off-the-wall" idea: What about drilling and tapping a small hole in the bottom of the gas port assembly, placing a set screw and adjusting the screw to pull the gas block down. It may sound kinda crazy, but I had a pre 64 Winchester model 70 that had a factory installed set screw to adjust pressure on the barrel.

Would probably be better to start with the shims, and if you discover a improvement in accuracy, then try the set screw.

Just an idea. .......................Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doorgunner,I like the set screw idea,if the shims effect"affect?"the groups on the mini,I'll give it a try.Aldo

·
Registered
287 Posts
YOU GUYS NEED TO BE CAREFUL! I'm gonna get a "big head" with you telling me that I had a good idea. LOL Let me know how it turns out, and thanks................Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
This sounds just like what you do to an M1A/M14. You either add washers or screw it toghethet to tie up the gas cylinder with the front ferrule (part that contacts the front of the stock). At the end of the day, you want constant pressure between the lower the lip of this assembly and the front of the stock.
Perhaps someone who as actually done this work (i've jsut read about and had it done on my M1A) could provide more insight.
This is interesting!

·
Registered
567 Posts
When I look at the U in my gasblock I also see three tabs kinda like |_| inside that U. it seems to me that shimming the stock at the U would just force it against the tabs. I know you can use a pressure point in your stock on a bolt action or even a variable pressure point if you want adjustment. Since the stock is flexable what effect would shimming the stock at this point have?

Thanks
Bushwack

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know if I'm ready to buy off on the idea that the stock is flexing enough to cause the rifle to shoot any worse than it does. I will admit to having a tendancy to apply the same accuracy standards to my Mini-14's as I do my bolt rifles, where stock and barrel never touch on my rifles.

I will agree that the forend portion of the stock is very thin, but I don't think there is enough flex in that area to matter much, considering the accuracy potential of the weapon. Look at the grain structure of the wood. I could be wrong, and it darn sure wouldn't be the first time. Just my $.02.........Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well sorry for the delay,but mother nature dumped 5" of snow in my area,NW Ind.,Chi,Ill.,so my weeks vacation that was to have been trying out the shim idea,put back unit the weather breaks.Aldo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea,I know it sucks.Wife spunout on ice taking daughter back to ISU"2 hours south on US41".She stayed over night in a motel because 41 was closed going south of Kentland,Ind.By the way,my parents were both from the UP,by Garden,Mi. ,still have a bunuch of inlaws and outlaws up there on the bay-de-nocks,and my hunting cabin id up there.Aldo

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Aldo I wish I could send ya some degrees, its susposed to be 81 degrees tomorrow, I could probably spare 10 or 11 of them. I need to mow the grass again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts