Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 2 inches away from ordering the Shilen drop in from Brownells at $225.
I've seen the go/no go gauges for $40 total, and feel those will always come in handy.

So, the total cost for a barrel change on my Stainless Ranch is up to $265 not including shipping.

Here's where I'm lost....

Since the rifle is stainless and the barrel in the white, how do I match the finishes? What price am I looking at?

Also, WHERE will I find a barrel wrench to
complete the work? Anyone completed this modification to their own rifle?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey Red I think ya gotta do the gas port too? As far barrel wrenches you can make one,but brownells has them. You might be better off buyin barrel blocks for your vise, and makin a reciever wrench. Be real carefull clamping the reciever in your vise! To much force if its not even can screw up or crack the reciever or rail for the oprod.I think youll need a 223 finish reamer also,the barrels are short chambered for fitting. Check with local gunsmith,s they might not charge that much? If the barrel steel ya need to park or blue it before final fitting. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a significantly bigger job than your post suggests you realize.

You could probably put the barrel on yourself, but don't expect too much in terms of accuracy.

Get a pro to do the job...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had my gunsmith put one on about 2 years ago. Save yourself the grief and have an expert install it. It'll probably cost no more than the tools you're considering not to mention your sanity...
As far as matching a chrome moly barrel to a stainless rifle, I can't think of anything that would match perfectly. Maybe if you left the barrel in-the-white and had it bead-blasted to match...

For a photo of mine go to:
http://image.pbase.com/u4/codger/upload/75...33.Mini14HB.jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
This barrel is available from Shilen in stainless,but not Brownells.You do have to ream (not drill) the gas port.The chamber is fully cut,not short chambered so you won't need a reamer.:sniper:

P.S.
Shilen gets about an extra $100.00 for stainless.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Brownells says "Installation requires drilling gas port after indexing" - I'm not trifiling about drilling vs reaming but how do you index the thing? My point is this sounds way over the head of an average do-it-yourselfer.
I concurr with the gang, you'll probably be spending more money along with time and frustration and would be better off sending it to the smitty.
Just my 2cents
:ar15:

·
Registered
162 Posts
As far as matching the SS Ruger finish,take a look at Brownell's silver stain baking laquer.The stuff after cooking sure looks alot like a SS mini 14 finish,its cheap,works great,and is very easy for a wanabee gunsmith to get great results.Very highly recommended.Aldo

·
Registered
541 Posts
djskit,your right,it is over mosts head.Your also right,Brownells says "drill".I guess you can drill it but drilling can/will leave burrs.Not good in a bore.If you ream it,it will be perfect.They do make it sound more simple than it really is. Actually,you drill it slightly under size then ream it to correct size.Indexing?I do mine after its on the action.You need an "Edge finder" & "Dial Indicator" to find bottom dead center.Then you drill/ream the hole on a milling machine.This should NOT be attempted by hand.After the gas port is finished it still has to be counterbored.You can taylor the port size to your liking and eliminate the need for gas port bushings that some people use.Sometimes the barrel threads are oversize and you have to chase them on a lathe(better than undersize).But I like that because I can get a very tight fit.So,your right again.Most should just buy the barrel and take it to a gunsmith.If done right,these barrels usually shoot under an inch with handloads & bedding.Especially when cut down to 16 or 18 inches.Thanks for the reply.I hope this isn't too much,I'm kinda new here.:sniper:

·
Registered
540 Posts
If the collective brain-trust of the perfect union forums can achieve only one thing through the course of its existence, it is my humbe wish that it save people the agony, cost and inefficiency of making the same mistakes others have made before.

Western civilization has achieved it greatness with this very ethic.

Gentlemen, we are standing on the shoulder's of giants! - we should enjoy the view and keep on growing!
:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Red, I was curious, how come ya want to change that fine Ruger barrel, is it because you want to upgrade the barrel or was your std barrel damaged? This web site has SS ruger barrels for $64.15. I don't know any thing about them yet as I just found the site a few minutes ago. Check it out at:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=218

·
Registered
716 Posts
djskit -

Thats what we're here for! Learn, learn and learn. Besides, when I have nothing to do at work, this provides entertainment for an otherwise boring job.

:beer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It looks like you lose some sight radius on your iron sights with that barrel. I wonder if you can get it with the front sight further out. IS the barrel longer than the factory one? I dont own a Mini-14 or mini-30 but I am really trying hard to one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The Shilen barrels has NO sights.So its best used on a ranch rifle or scoped mini.You can put a front sight on it.Brownells sells some nice ones & many kinds.Probably the best and easiest to install is the "Wrap-around" style. WWW.BROWNELLS.COM Or you can use an AC556 manifold top half,it has a front sight on it.:sniper:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Red, not only are you going to have to index the barrel to
the action, the gas port will have to be drilled along with
the extractor slot. The barrel comes with threads on one
end and a crown on the other. I took mine to a gunsmith
who said it looked like it would be a pretty easy job. A
month later I picked it up and he said it was a lot more
of a job than he'd thought. Getting it indexed and then
cutting the extractor slot, you'll gotta know what yer doing.

Mine is a stainless rifle, but the barrel is the chrome moly
version. After I got it installed on the action I took it to
the guy that does chrome plating for me and he polished
it to a high luster. I then painted it with some of Brownells
hi-temp clear. I'll never use to hunt as I don't hunt but love
to target shoot. I think it came out ok. I hope to post a
pic of it soon on the gallery forum. Save yerself a hassle
let a GOOD smith handle it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can get a stainless one from Shilen.No extractor cut needed on the Shilen,its cut a full 360 degrees.:sniper:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts