Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
3,298 Posts
Well, there are some side-mounted scope mounts that are see-under, and many here have tried them. The problem is that with such mounts, one's eye/head is raised so much as to require a cheek-riser to ensure a comfortable and natural cheek weld to the stock. ITC sells such a cheek-riser, and other mfrs offer similar: https://www.amazon.com/Rifle-CheekRest-ITC-Marksmanship-Cordura/dp/B06XTS8BX9

Most of the side-mount scope mounts/bases are aluminum, and a little fragile. You will want such a mount to have both fore-and aft set-screws that eliminate any possibility of the mount wobbling. This side-mount scope base is probably as good as such things get:Ruger Mini 14 Scope Mount| Ruger Mini 14 Scope Mount|

On my 186 Mini, having tried everything else, I installed an Ultimak scout rail, and I've never been happier. Not for everyone, but it suits me better than all the other stuff I tried. YMMV.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,298 Posts
Ah...I didn't think about that... I have a side-mount scope on my M1A that is great with the normal sightline and I assumed it would be the same with the Mini, just on a smaller scale...

Thanks for the info.
Just my personal opinion. Stick around; some others might have different points of view. I'm certailly no expert on anything, LOL!

·
Formerly "raf"
3,298 Posts
What sorta scope did you mount on the Ultimax mount? It seems pretty far from the eye...
The Burris and Leupold Scout scopes are meant for this application, and some Pistol scopes will also work, such as the Burris units. Nowadays, I use a Red Dot Sight.

When mounting anything on the Ultimak scout rail it pays HUGE dividends to ensure the optic (of whatever type) is kept as low (close to the barrel) as possible. Make every possible effort to do this, as it has a great deal to do with how easily and quickly the rifle is shouldered and how easily and quickly one obtains a good cheek weld and gets off a snap shot.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,298 Posts
I don't disagree with RJF's comments one bit. I think he has been fair in describing the advantages and disadvantages of the "see-under" side scope mount.

Agreed that, unlike the AR platform getting the OEM Mini iron sights to co-witness through the RDS optics is problematic. OTOH, making provisions to quickly dismount optics, if they fail for any reason, and then using OEM iron sights is as simple as buying good quality LOW QD scope rings (I prefer Leupold QRW rings), or as complicated as silver-soldering a wingnut onto the OEM hex nut securing some low-mounted RDS units. Not as quick as modern QD throw levers, but close enough to get rid of failed optics quick enough, and then revert to iron sights. And no-dismounting of any cheek-riser required for the optics

My fundamental view is that I want my optics to use the same stock as is used with the iron sights without any sort of cheek riser. If the optics fail, then quickly remove them, and use iron sights without having to also remove any cheek-riser. Others may vary, and I respect their opinions. One size does not fit all.

Again, NO beef with what RJF's comments. He's presenting a reasonable case for see-under scope mounts, but in all honesty, other viewpoints are at least worth considering.

Everyone has their own preferences. What makes the difference is one being willing to try decent alternatives, whilst keeping an open mind about new things, and giving them a fair trial. That's not so easy for many of us.

Suggest you try out both approaches, while not geting married to either one, and then decide based on your open-minded experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts