Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
So i sent my 182 mini 14 off. It went to the colorado accuracy systems.
I was going to do the guaranteed 1.5 moa package so i can still maintain a 16" barrel.
Anyone have any advice before i give the go ahead for cutting and chopping??
My goal is to have a rugged reliable 223 that will be able to ride on the atv with out worrying about it. And i want it to be able to shoot less than 1 ich at 100 yards. I will be using it for hunting in alaska for wolf.

· Registered
3,461 Posts
My thought is if you are going to use it for wolf hunting, a 16" barrel wold lose too much velocity for longer shots on a hard to kill animal. I would consider an 18" barrel. You did not give diameter of the barrel. Is this the factory barrel or ASI's after market barrel? I have one that is .750 through the gas block and then .820 to 21 inches total length. It is a bit heavy and would be cumbersom on an ATV.

Your 182 series will also require a scope mount that uses your rear sight base as the location to attach a scope. ASI can do that as well. The bottom line is I would consider the .750 barrel to 18" to hold the weight down but give you a little extra velocity over the 16" barrel. Just my thoughts. kwg

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the .750 and 16". I normally only shoot handloads, so ammo is always good. How much can I gain with a 18"? I was also thinking of using the benny cooly brake as I have it on other stuff and it works extremely well.

· Registered
3,461 Posts
If you were hunting coyotes I'd say 16 is enough. With the extra 2 " you could possibly pick up an extra 80 feet per second and possibly another 100 yards. How close do you normally get to a wolf? I'd be surprised if you got within 200 yards but maybe you have a secret approach that gets you in a little closer. I'm not familiar with the Ben Cooley brake. kwg

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got the estimate.... It's not cheap..
I decided 16" wylde chamber .750 and threaded for a brake and crown
Front 3 blade sight
Rear m1 sight
3.5lb trigger
Drilled tapped and mounted scope mount
Guide rod buffer
Stronger spring
Pillar bed stock.

I went with 16" I'm not to concerned Bout 80 fps or so. I handload slower bigger bullets anyway.

Wolf are rarely close. Not uncommon for 300+ yard shots.
So accuracy is a must.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy hell, five months! That would be hard to live with. I've heard they do the absolute best work on the Mini though, turn them into tack drivers I've been told.
i know right! Its really ok though, i will be going to work soon and will be busy for some time. But i am really looking foward to when i get it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.