Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there scoped their AR15 recently, what is the best way to go...?

How accurate is this rifle (stock out of the box) at 200 yds.

What is the best bullet (factory stock) for 100 yd and 200 yd...?

what do you guys think of tripods....?

regards......Chuck

No Longer Involved
Originally posted by Chucky
Has anyone out there scoped their AR15 recently, what is the best way to go...?

How accurate is this rifle (stock out of the box) at 200 yds.

What is the best bullet (factory stock) for 100 yd and 200 yd...?

what do you guys think of tripods....?

regards......Chuck
Best way to go? Depends, saying "AR-15" is like saying "SUV". There are as many styles of AR-15 as there are SUV's. As many makes, as many models. As many qualitative and quantitive differences.

How accurate is the rifle? See above.

Best bullet? See above.

Tripods? I've never seen a tripod mounted AR-15, I assume it was a slip of the fingers and you mean Bipods. Again, it all "depends" on the quality of the bipod, and how it is mounted. In most cases, it doesn't help accuracy unless it is mounted in a way that won't affect the barrel.

Details! we need Details!

;)

Registered
Here's a link to the place I picked up my scope. It does what it says, the way it says.

www.rifletech.com

:sniper:

Looks like they're in your neighborhood! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info Bill/Sniper.....

I am shooting a Colt 6601 MT, 20",1/7, stock out of the box.

I ended up putting a Leupold 3-9 40mm on a low profile handle mount set up, took it to the 100 yd range and couldn't hit paper.

took it to the 50 yd and zeroed in with 1" groups, so now it's back to the 100 yd and hopefully some success there(this weekend maybe).

when all set on the 100 yd I plan to try the 200 yd but I will get a lot of heckeling there from all the 6ppc Precision BR boys and their $6000 rigs.

I'm shooting 55gr Win, but will go next to 69gr Federals because that seems to be the round best for accuracy and barrel twist.
I am new to this so I am feeling my way and reading a lot.

I will be going to a 2 stage trigger, any recommendations, any other mods recommended.....

appreciate any info

Sniper, the Hitec outfit is right in my neck of the woods, will be paying them a visit to look around, they were higher than what I ended up buying tho.

my cost was $269.00 scope and $39.00 for mounts, will probably upgrade the mounts later....

regards

Chuck

No Longer Involved
The issue with scoping a standard AR-15 is that your scope height is just too high! Yes, you can zero it for, lets say, 100 yards, but recall that your A2 sight system, on top of which this is mounted, is already 2.x inches above the bore! This makes for a less than optimal mounting point, from a ballistics point of view.

Get a ballistics calculator ( Get it HERE ) and plug in the height above the bore, and a 100 yard zero, and note where the bullets path is at differing distances. You'll find that you may end up having to shoot LOWER at 200 yards than you do at 100 yards given a fixed scope setting.

I tried this with my AR-15, and I could never get close to it (emotionally) and ended up having lots more fun with open sights.

Just me 2 cents. You'll have better success with a scoped AR if it is a flattop.

Registered
As far as the 2-stage trigger I've been looking around for one myself. I've found that they run from $125 to $200. I don't think there's any modification needed. At AuctionArms there is a user named "warbirds" that has a spring kit for $15. I purchased one for an SKS and it made a world of difference. I've got one coming for the AR. I figured if it work as well as it did on the SKS I'll try it on the AR before I spend almost 10x as much on the 2-stage.
http://www.fultonarmory.com

http://www.m-aparts.com

These links are to the places I've found that have 2-stage triggers. I'll let everyone know how the spring kit works.

Registered
Bill is right, I have a flat top and purchased a scope mounting system that will mount on top of the handle or on top of the flat top once the handle is removed. First I tried it up high so I had the fixed sights as a back up. It was OK at 100 yards but not great. I removed the handle and mounted the scope low and was twice as accurate. I have been talking to a gunsmith who recommends the Armalite match grade trigger for about $125 plus installation. Hope this helps.

Jim

Registered
Sniper, I stand corrected. I guess it has been awhile since my gunsmith ordered one. Other options are the JP Enterprises single stage or having your trigger reworked. The trick I here with the latter is finding a good gunsmith. A friend had his trigger worked and it decided to go full auto one day. He sent it back and hasn鈥檛 had any problems since.

Jim

Registered
I was ready to order one from Armalite if that was the price. Still, for the money, I may still go that way. Armalite makes a reputable product in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts