Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to use my Mini-Ranch to shoot Prarie Dogs this spring. How much scope is enough scope, and will a 50 mm objective fit with the standard rings. I have a Remington 700 VLS with a 6-24X44, but don't know if that would be too much scope for this rifle. I have a 3-9X40 on the mini now. Thanks for any information. Also, what kind of groupings can I expect at 100 yards. I just inherited this rifle, and don't have any clips yet to test fire it. It also has a night scope, but I don't have that yet either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 3X9 isn't going to be big enough, I had my mini-14 ranch with me one time and the crosshairs covered the hole dog up at 100 yards. If you are running a stock mini-14 you better take your remington varmint rifle with you or I think you might get a little upset, unless yours shoots better than mine. As far as the ring height you won't have enough room for the 50mm objective lens. Don't get me wrong I like my mini but they aren't varmint rifles in their stock form.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roger

I have a Tasco World Class Scope 3x9x40mm on my mini Ranch SS and I had to do some "special" fixing on a 40mm objective.
I added a kick pad (rubber) to my mini Ranch and it added an extra inch or so of length to the eye relief distance on my scope. So I pulled the scope back till it almost hit the adjustment housing 1/8 inch away, for my eye relief. Next thing I noticed was the Bell (front of scope area) was resting on the little hump where the riviet goes through on the top of the hand guard (PLASTIC hand guard type rifles). I took my scope back off and took my Dremel tool with drum sander and VERY Carefully sanded the hump down 1/16 inch. Then because I didn't want anybody to notice I buffed the area till it looks new again.
Now the scope doesn't rest on that little hump anymore and just to look at the hand guard you would never know it had been sanded.
As far as the cross hairs go I couldn't tell you because I've never hunted P. Dogs before. I would take the REM. as primary gun and the mini as back up Unless you run into a whole herd of P.Dogs trying to attack you than open up with a 30 rounder Mini.
Have fun no matter which one you take.

·
Registered
10 Posts
3x9 is more than enough scope for the mini. Out of the box it's not capable of moa anyway. Keep it simple, or you lose it's intended purpose.( to put a lot of lead downrange in a short period of time). Remember, even the military usually uses a fixed 4 or 5 power scope on a .223.................fighterjock:rapid:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts