Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out to the range 8/21/01(called in sick to work) and shot my mini-14 for the first time with a scope. (bushnell 3x9x40) i did not do any accuracy shooting per say, just to zero the scope but i did alot of plinking with the ranges metal targets. 100 yards was too easy. 200 yards was not as easy but still very very feaseable.
now, 300 yards, that was a challenge but still manageable. i am just getting started with scoped guns and am fairly new to it. i am currently only into shooting at the metal targets for it seems more fun than precisson shooting. i like to hear and see the metal moving after you hit it. i also have a harris bipod on my
mini-i4. i will most likely call in sick this month again so i could go shooting again. (i have a lot of sick days avail.)
take care!
//rmjr//:rapid: :rapid:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a small leupold 1.75 x 6 on my mini. I have not shot it a lot but like it so far. I plan to leave it on the rifle. It is a little handy scope that does not weigh much.
ches

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey ches,I recently bought a used mini in s.s.,and was wondering what type mount is best and/or most stable for this little carbine ? Just joined this forum today,Guys,so any help is greatly appreciated.Have found lots of good useableinfo so far. Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forty five HP the only rings for a scope that I know of are the stock Ruger rings which work fine. They have a lug on them that fit in the milled cut on the base that stabilizes for recoil. I bought the 30 mm ruger rings when I bought the propoint sight.
They were not cheap.
ches

·
Registered
5 Posts
ches, thank for your reply and I just knew you were going to say "not cheap" too-dang it !! Probably should've waited to find a ranch mod. Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry I am in error. I was talking about the ranch model. Next time I will read closer. I have the 223 ranch model stainless steel. With the fiberglass stock.
I do not know about scope mount base for the OH wait a minute. I used to have a regular mini and had a scope on it. It worked OK. Kind of like the mounting for the M1A and M14. It slides in the flat cover on the left side of the rifle. That covers the bolt hold open lever.
ches

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Mini-14 SS syn ranch. I used a bushnell 3x9x40 last weekend at the range, after a while of scopeing it in it seemed to shoot "ok". Seems like a few shots later (5-10) I wasn't even hitting the paper at 50 yds anymore. I baught this scope open box at walmart, is it possible it had an internal problem? I returned it and baught a differnet, new scope. Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Also, I shoot alot with my friends as a little competition, if skill was the same, who should win out of these guns?

My mini-14 SS syn with 3x9x40
a Marlin 39-as 22LR w/ tasco 4x scope
a remington 700 .243 bolt w/ 4-6x scope
or a ruger 10/22 w/ 4-6x scope.

I've heard the mini-14 isn't too accurate from the factory, is this true? Even with the new ones

·
Registered
5 Posts
snikt, After two range sessions with my regular s.s. mini,on a bench rest,the best I could do was 41/2" at 100 yds.Not good enough for me,since I used to shoot on the state Rifle/Pistol team many moons ago.So I started to dig around and found several articles on accurizing the little carbine (see mini14world.com article by Ed Harris)That article started to open my eyes for curing its' problems.Also look at "gas block tips" submitted by readers,too. Good luck and thanks for your input, Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts