Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 580 series Mini 14 with a UltiMAK rail and just purchased some Warne QD Medium 1RL rings. I was wondering what size of scope I could fit on the rifle? I know that medium rings are usually rated for up to 42mm objective and was actually looking at a scope that big (Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42mm). Would that fit or would I need a 40mm objective? If possible I would also like to have Butler Creek flip covers on the scope as well, if not then no big deal.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The 42 should fit just stay away from scopes any larger like 50.

·
Registered
121 Posts
First you need to determine what you intend to shoot, if target shooting you can go with a bigger, heavier more obtrusive scope, if you are going to hunt then you would want a lighter more compact scope. Keep in mind that the Mini 14 is not a long range rifle.

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am mainly going to use it for target shooting, probably within 400 yards. I have plenty of long range target rifles so not looking to do any precision shooting. Would you recommend a smaller scope?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If you have other, more precise long range rifles, you might want to go with a smaller scope on the Mini. It is a handy, compact rifle and big scopes just ruin the feel, looks and balance of it. A 2-7x is about as big as I'd go, and 7x is plenty for shooting man size targets even out to 500 meters. Having 2x on the low end wouldn't be too bad for close shots. The Ultimak rail and Q.D. rings is a great set-up. But I don't believe the Battlezone scope, is a long eye relief model. As long as you have the Ultimak, mounting the scope out on it has many advantages over mounting a scope in the conventional way, over the action.
1) easier to clean the action and remove the bolt.
2) better balance as the scope is out over that skinny barrel
3) no chance of brass hitting your scope (and possibly falling back into action).
4) easier to clear a jam in action if you had one.
5) easier to load single rounds at the range without a scope in the way.
6) easier to carry the rifle with a hand around the action without a conventional scope in the way.
7) less "tunnel vision" with a forward mounted scope. you can see that bigger deer coming into the clearing, or in a defensive situation, you will be able to see additional threats to the side sooner.
If on a budget, Leatherwood makes a 2-7x Scout scope that is quite nice, 13 oz. and sells for $125. I have one on my Gunsite scout .308. I believe Burris just came out with a 2-7x Scout scope as well. There may be other variable scout scopes by now as well. There are also several 2 3/4 power Scout scopes by Burris, Leupold and Weaver, although the Weaver is pretty heavy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
For my 2 cents. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 om my mini and it was bulky as heck totally spoiled the "handiness" of it. Great for benchrest target shooting tho'
I have since gone back to irons and a Tech Sight. Got my nimble back.
Richard

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't be mounting a scout setup even though I have the UltiMAK. I had a red dot on it but didn't like it but I am just going to keep the rail on there. I didn't know if it would be any different having it on there rather than the stock guard as far as objective clearance goes. I have a cheapo 3-9x40 so maybe I'll see what that is like then decide. Maybe a 2-7x33mm would be a better option. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The Ultimak seems pretty low, maybe lower than the stock hand guard and I've heard from others that have it that the iron sights can be used with it. I'm gonna buy one soon for my Mini for a scout set-up. Redfield makes a nice little 2-7x, the Revolution. Made in Oregon at the Leupold plant as opposed to the Revenge and Battlezone which are cheaper scopes that I believe are Asian made. I have a 2-7x Revolution on my little CZ Scout and its light, 12-13 oz., and compact, 33mm objective, nice and clear and if you get it with the Accu- Range reticle, you can find out with some practice shooting at what distance the tic marks below the center dot are hitting with your .223/5.56mm loads. I paid $160 from Midway for mine but that was about a year and a half ago. here's a pic of the 2-7x revolution with Talley rings on my CZ Scout.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fitted my 580 series with a 6x24x44 just to see how accurate the rifle could be after doing some custom mods. Using standard Ruger 1" rings the scope barely clears the front heat shield but it does clear. The plan was to work up accurate loads then switch to a lighter holo sight. Still might do that but just having too much fun from the bench with the current setup. It looks big on the carbine and is heavy for off hand shooting but I can see the target!

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading other posts and looking at pictures I'm leaning more towards a smaller 33mm objective. Wish I had a variety of scopes to try out on it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts