Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So i recently came across a good deal on a mini 30 and hopped on the beauty. I was wanting to put a scope on it and bought a Centerpoint 2-7x32 scope.

According to this chart: Ruger Scope Ring Sizing the best scope ring size for my gun would be a "low height" scope ring since its a 32mm scope diameter.
But when I go to rugers website here: Ruger Scope Ring Finder the smallest size it recommends is the "medium height" and it even ships with the high heights rings.

So my question is, what would be the best scope ring size for my mini 30 and the centerpoint scope? Will the low height rings fit or are the medium height rings the smallest I can put on my gun?

· Registered
2,540 Posts
If you look on Page 2 of the Midway link, you'll see that the shortest rings available for the Mini-14/30 are Mediums (#4s).

This is most likely due to the height of the rear iron sight on the Minis. With a 32mm objective, the ocular bell/magnification ring will contact the rear sight before the objective bell is anywhere near the handguard.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
You want the medium. Like COBrien said, its an issue with the rear sight. Given you got a variable scope, you will need the room.
Here's my 30 with 1.75-5x32 with warne medium QD's: see how close it is to the sight.

Reactions: passtime

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys and thats one sweet lookin mini King. Thats gonna be my setup after everything, how heavy is the gun with the strut and scope, is it still managable to shoot standing up?

So it looks like medium height rings are my best bet, but does anybody know if I need 2x medium rings or if 1x medium and 1x high is what is needed for a level scope setup?

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks alot guys and thats one sweet lookin mini King. Thats gonna be my setup after everything, how heavy is the gun with the strut and scope, is it still managable to shoot standing up?

So it looks like medium height rings are my best bet, but does anybody know if I need 2x medium rings or if 1x medium and 1x high is what is needed for a level scope setup?
It's back in the ruger synthetic. Didnt much care for the ATI.
The strut is pure aluminum, so it weighs nothing. Being its a thick barrel it doesn't do much for accuracy, but man does it cool the barrel in a hurry. Scope is not an issue either since it sits over the bolt. It's a smaller scope compaired to most.

Reactions: nsimi

· Registered
2,540 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, 1 last question. Are high height rings more uncomfortable/less adequate for scopes then the medium size rings? Or will it make a negligible difference
Ideally, you want your scope mounted as low (close to the bore) as possible. Makes zeroing your optic much easier.

With the Mini in particular, it's difficult enough to get a proper cheek weld, even with the lowest rings that will work with your scope. If you go with rings that are one size taller, you'll end up with a "chin" weld, which I find uncomfortable. If you're uncomfortable, you won't shoot well. ;)

FWIW, Ruger used to advertise that you can contact them, send in your High rings, and they will swap them out for the height of your choosing. Free of charge. I'm sure they'll still honor that.

· Registered
164 Posts
If you look on Page 2 of the Midway link, you'll see that the shortest rings available for the Mini-14/30 are Mediums (#4s).

This is most likely due to the height of the rear iron sight on the Minis. With a 32mm objective, the ocular bell/magnification ring will contact the rear sight before the objective bell is anywhere near the handguard.
Found this out the hard way. I bought the same scope as the OP after I had installed new Tech-Sights Mini200 rear sight on my Model 5801 Mini-14 RR. With the rings that came from Ruger, there's no way to mount the scope...Mini200 rear sight interferes, it's even taller than the stock rear sight. Now looking at B-Square side mount as a possible solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.