Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the experienced Mini-14 shooters. I just put a Trijicon 1.25-4x24 scope over the receiver on my SS 580 using the Ruger 1 inch rings. I was making arrangements to take it to the range today when my friend asked if it would get hit by the casings that are well known for flying out of my Mini-14. Will the spent casings hit the scope as they eject? This seems pretty possible considering where the scope is mounted, but surely I can't be the first person to ponder this?

If I try to move this scope onto a scout rail, won't I have problems with eye relief?

I appreciate all advice.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Alot of guys will rotate the scope 90 degrees, so up and down becomes left and right. That'll get the windage turret out of the line of fire:D.
You can pick up some self adhesive velcro, and cut a piece of the fuzzy side for the bottom of the tube where the brass can hit it.

Also, look above in the "tips and tricks", regarding shock buffs. The 1911 buffs should work fine. Some guys don't have them, and have never had an issue. I think their cheap insurance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
None So Far

I've got a 581 Mini 30 with a Buckmaster Nikon on top. It seems the newer Mini's throw the brass flatter than the earlier models. But as I said, I haven't seen any witness marks on my turret's yet.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
None here

I have a Trijicon Tripower directly above on my 580 and have not had any problems with casings hitting it. I do have a buffer and an adjustable gas block which do help with spent casings.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm gonna have to do a smaller gas bushing. I've got a 4x14x40 Nikon Buckmaster, with the side focus(the turrets really stick out), on my Target mini, and it beat the windage turret cap up pretty good before I added the cushion to it. The scope is silver, and I noticed some really small black specks where brass was hitting the scope, before I noticed the bottom of the turret cap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 580 mini 14 has a Bushnell 3-9X40 over it and none of the casings have ever hit my scope. I've thoroughly inspected it and the shells come out much flatter than, oh, like an SKS, which come out strait up sorta.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Casing not the problem, scope rings are

Alright, I took the gun out just to try it out. I had a friend watch and video me shooting a couple of rounds of 62gr steel case Wolf and some 55gr PMC. The casing fly out fairly flat. Inspection of scope housing showed no scars or scratches.

However, I couldn't get the scope rings to stay tight. They came loose with every shot. These are the Ruger 1 inch rings that came with the gun. Am I suppose to really tighten this things down very hard with a screw driver? I guess the thumb screw part of it is kinda useless, though I had tighten it with a screw driver when I mounted the scope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts