Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am in the process of mounting a scope on my 10/22. It is just a standard blued with a wood stock, no accuracy mods yet. I have a few questions hopefully you can help with...

The scope is a 3-9x32 Bushnell Sportsman. Inexpensive but I think it will do just fine on a 22. Anybody have experience with this scope??

I did a search about scope bases and rings. It seemed that many preferred the Weaver TO-9 base and Burris Z rings??

I picked up a TO-9 base but the local shop didn't carry the Burris rings so I settled for Weaver Detachable Top Mount rings. The low mount rings I bought don't work however because the scope sits on the folded down rear sight. So I am going to go back to the shop tomorrow. Any input on the rings?? Should I switch the lows for the mediums, or get a refund and order some different rings??

Last question...On the insert that came with my Weaver base it says: Move base 7/8" forward and attach with three screws for 1" scopes equipped with either Weaver Detachable Top Mount Rings or Weaver Tip-Off Mount Rings. Anybody know why that would be??

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello Grinch
TO-9 base and Burris Z rings
The base is just a good base used on most of the 10/22's. It is pretty inexpensive but still a good one. The Burris Z rings are just a great set of rings. The reason that most or at least a lot of the shooters use then in that if you buy the Burris signature Z rings you can add plastic inserts inside of the rings. Thus if for some reason you bottom or top on when you try to adjust the sighing turrets, you can adjust the plastic inserts and gain back your clicks in the turrets. As you stated the 3-9x32 Bushnell Sportsman is not one of the best but it is a scope that is used alot. If you get into target shooting you will want to get a scope with a AO on it. Then your can shoot from 25 feet up to infinity. Can not tell you about moving the base. I know that I used all three of the screws to mount the base. I figured the more the better even though your just shooting a 22. I would go to the next higher rings and ad-void making contact with the sight on the 22. Also that way if your out in the field and something goes wrong with the scope you can always fall back to the open sights.

Have fun......

:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Grinch. I used the Bushnell Sportsman scope for years on my deer rifle. It is made for a centerfire rifle, as the Paralax is factory set at 100 yds. Since most 22LR shots are made at 50 yds or less either a rimfire scope which has the paralax set at 50 yds, or a scope with an AO (Adjustable Objective) is needed. You can use it if you have a good consistant cheek weld, and on the lower setting to decrease the paralax effect. When you decide to turn it into a serious shooter, you would need to upgrade.

The Burris Signature Zee rings, have inserts which will not scratch your scope. They can be also be used with a concentric inserts, which you can use to correct Mount alignment error. In my case ramp the scope for longer than normal elevation.

I haven't used the Weaver Detachable Top Mount Rings or Weaver Tip-Off Mount Rings, but should work fine. I believe the adjustment fwd of the mount is because of eyerelief diff of the tip-off rings.

The Weaver rings I used before rotated the scope as I tightened them, where as with an insert the scope remains in position as you tighten. Just a small convience thing. But then the Burris are a little more expensive.

I find the best prices for Scopes, Rings, Mounts, and other optics is: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

Just to make sure I understand parallax correctly...If the parallax is set at 100 yards, that means when I aim at something 100 yards away my crosshairs are directly on it, correct?? If I aim at something at 50 yards away, it would appear to me to be right on the target but it actually isn't?? Let me know if I understand this correctly please.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have a leupold vx-1, is that adjustable for parallax? its terrible at 25 yards. i was shooting at 9 power the whole time, would lowering the power eliminate parallax at 25 yards?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have the same scope on my mini-14. It is not adjustable. You will see an AO (adjustable Objective) on scopes that are.

Set the scope on the lowest setting it will work much better as will a consistant cheek weld. If you lock your rifle in a steady shooting position, and move your head back and forth you can see the parallax, the cross hairs will move off target. If not your good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
oh, it moves. about two inches id say. definetly not a short range scope. im all flustered, i dont know what to do now that i know i get 6 inch 100 yard groups from my mini in a firmly rested position. i was gonna gonna put the leupold on the 1022, but im still in the 25 or 50 yard area right now. now im thinking of getting a bolt gun for accuracy, 1022 for short range plinkin and just selling the mini. gun troubles. worse than girls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
oh, and thanks to everyone who has helped out so far (especially cajungeo, truly knowlegable about semi autos) this is honestly a great forum.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Originally posted by wahturi
oh, it moves. about two inches id say. definetly not a short range scope. im all flustered, i dont know what to do now that i know i get 6 inch 100 yard groups from my mini in a firmly rested position. i was gonna gonna put the leupold on the 1022, but im still in the 25 or 50 yard area right now. now im thinking of getting a bolt gun for accuracy, 1022 for short range plinkin and just selling the mini. gun troubles. worse than girls.
Now wahturi, gun troubles are easy to figure out. The girl troubles are not so easy.

I don't think your cross hairs moved 2" at 25 yds it was you moving the rifle. I just did it with mine, and were talking maybe 1/4" at most, and thats with my head moving 4 inches or more. If you use the lower power settings, and use a consistant cheek weld it will be maybe 1/8" or less.

Let me say their is a Big difference in shooting accurately, and shooting BenchRest. The BR Boys win or loose by a few thousands of an inch. They spend a lot of money, and a lot of effort to gain a few thousands of an inch. With our Ruger semi-autos, we are happy to gain a few inches in groupage, and with the 10/22 with a bull barrel, a few 1/10".

The leupold vx-1 is not a target scope, it is a hunting scope, but you can use it if thats what you have. You just have to know its limitations when using it for target, and adjust accordingly. A target scope. is not as suited for hunting, with its small cross hairs, bulky in size etc. My target 22 has a target scope, and my hunter has a cheapo bushnell 3-9x32 sportsview. I haven't fired it yet, but when I tune it I expect to get .75" or better groups with the bush scope. Where as my target 22 will get .5" groups at 50 yds. Putting a target scope on the mini is kind of a waste.

You have to decide the main purpose of your rifle, and when you purchase items for your rifle, choose to fit your main purpose.

I love my Rugers, and have made them shoot accurately. For the fun factor, reliablity, accuracy that can be tuned, and for the low cost, they are hard to beat. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
i am setting the rifle on the benchrest, not touching it and looking through the scope. when i move my eye about 4 inches like you said, the crosshair moves at least one inch i would say 1 112. trust me, i would not be this worried about a quarter of an inch. i went into a local gun shop and the guy there said that a leupold should not do that and i might try adjusting my focus. on my scope it is a lock-ring that when untightened, allows me to unscrew the eyepiece, adjusting focus. is this neccesary for changing from 100 yards to 25? at 100, the crosshair doesnt move, but the when i take the same scope to 25, its all over the place, like i said. i really think i am checking correctly. but i could be wrong. my main question is this, cajungeo, is the scope we have suitable for half inch groups at 25 yards assuming the rifle is a straight shooter? or does parallax prevent this? i havent seemed to get a definet answer on this yet from anyone. thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
oh, and i thought i might add i am using homemade rests, made out of 1x4 with towels on the surfaces that contact the stock and forestock. when i let the rifle sit there, it is definetly stable as i look through the scope. just thought i would try to eliminate one of the variables.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
cajungeo, is the scope we have suitable for half inch groups at 25 yards assuming the rifle is a straight shooter? or does parallax prevent this? i havent seemed to get a definet answer on this yet from anyone. thanks for all the help.
Yes with a bull match barrel not a std barrel, but you might do a bit better with a Rimfire or target scope. If you already have the scope, shoot it, and see how it does.

Have you read your Leupold owners manual? Especially pages 25-29? If you don't have one, I'll give you one. Give the ppd time to download. It explains every thing about your scope, all the adjustments, and Understanding Parallax I think you will feel better once you understand how to limit its effect. Check out: http://www.leupold.com/resources/downloads...rs_Handbook.pdf

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks, cajungeo, and yeah, i have the manual and already read that part. i am assuming my scope is factory set at 150 yards. at 100, i saw no parralax, or at least not enough to notice. i tried the other night in my room, through the doorway (about 10 or 15 yards) to adjust it. i went the whole way through the focus adjustment, from one extreme to another, checking every few turns. i had 2 inch parralax the whole time. tomarrow ill give it a try outside at 25. maybe 10 or 15 yards is just to close. i just wonder if i got a bad scope, because the gun shop guys told me that the way it comes, i should not be getting that much parralax at 25. 14 inch i could live with, but i was honestly getting better accuracy at 25 yards with iron sights than i was with the scope! sorry i rambled, but i just want to get all the info to you, your my life line here!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yep your right 2". I did a more accurate test. I measured the distance to my back fence. It's 27 yd. I used an ironing board (I never use it), and my gun cleaning rack, so I was not touching it anyplace. Centering the cross hairs on a 2" steel post, I could move the cross hairs one side to the other, 2" on 3X.

Thats why it is recommended a Rimfire scope, or a scope with an adjustable objective for max accuracy. Now you got me going, when I get my hunter up. I will see what I can do with my elcheapo sportsview. Then with my Tasco target scope. I'm not recommendig Tasco as they duct-out on their lifetime warrentee when Bushnell bought them out. Some call them Trashco., but mine seems to work. The only test I haven't tried on it yet is tracking. If you shoot different ranges, it is important to have accurate and repeatable tracking of the elevation, and windage.

Sorry for the previous inaccurate info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well, i have the scope new in the box. im sure ill be able to sell it for alomst what i bought it for. i did the same test earlier today and got the same results. its just a long range scope. what are some brandsmodels you would recomend for shooting accurately from 25 out to 100. i plan to put it on my 1022.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i searched for scopes with ao and came up with two in my price range (under 200).

1. bsa catseye 4-16x50mm with target turrets, ao $110

2. simmons blazer 4-16xs40 with target turrets, ao and a built in boresighter $70

what kind of integrity do these brands hold? i am leaning towards the simmons more, as i have heard the name more and id rather have 40mm objective. the only thing that worries me is the price. $70 seems a bit cheap for all these features. would this scope be a good idea? anyone have it? i want a scope that will match the quality of my 1022, which i believe is well made.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Most people do the same thing. I did, when I bought my first 10/22 scope, a 4x28mm "centerfire" scope $25 new. I shot with it for years, didn't know there were better scopes, and didn't know there were rimfire scopes. Shot plenty of squirrle's rabbit, cans. Now being older and wiser, have developed an adiction to accuracy from the 10/22, and mini.

The only AO scope I've used is the World Class Tasco Target scope. 6-24x44mm, with target dot rect about $110. I haven't checked tracking on it yet, but will next time I go to the range. You might check out Midway, Midsouth, and Natchez. If Midsouth has the scope you want they are usually cheaper. You might want to take in a gun show, or go to a sportings good store, to try before you buy, then shop for best price.

A good Rimfire scope with out AO will be a lot cheaper. I'd stay away from the real cheap scopes, but the old saying you get what you pay for applies in optics.

Your leupold is a perfect scope for your mini, or other center fire. It is more accurate than the rifle. I have one for my mini, and one for my Rem. model 4 .308 winchester.

How about you other guys, what kinda scope do you have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Simmons 1022T (I think I paid $130+ for mine last year), it's nice but Natchez has a special on Bushnell Scopechief Rifle Scopes - 4-14x50mm, Matte Finish only $119.95!

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search...rds=bhchiefsale

I'd get one of those, hell of a deal! I'm actually thinking of getting one myself - hehehee.

- Beta_MO

1 - 20 of 33 Posts