Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need the picatinny rail to mount scope to my mini 14?
Not sure yet what Im going to put on it, but I have little knowladge on how to mount. It looks like the rail that came with the gun is pretty far forward for a scope, is that correct? And if so, just what is the top and side rails for? This is my first gun of this type.
Its the tatical version and came with Ruger rings. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well you have a few options available:

- use the Ruger scope rings for "traditional" placement
- use the front top rail for red dot or long eye relief scope
- use different mounting system
- Weigand picatinny rail
- BSquare mount

You have a host of options, these are but only a few.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mini 14 scope mount

Will using the ruger rings for traditional mounting allow proper shell ejection?
I assume I dont need a special rail when using the ruger rings, or am I wrong?
Im not looking to spend a lot of money, at least right now, still trying to pay off the gun. lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, can someone tell me if the rings that came with it are 30 mm or 1inch?
And is the rail that came on it the same as a picatinny rail?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since you are referencing a factory rail I'm assuming you have a Mini-14 with the Amega rail up front in lie of the traditional hand guard. Yes, its a Picatinny spec rail which gives you a wide variety of rings to choose from. Most Weaver-style rings will also work fine on this rail.

The Amega rail is a forward position mounting platform thus traditional scopes will not work well there. Such rails are designed for use with red dot sights of various designs and scopes that feature an extended eye relief often referred to as Scout scopes. Some enthusiasts also mount pistol scopes on forward rails as they're light, built tough and also have long eye relief.

For a traditional rifle scope mounted in the more usual position over the bolt you'll use the Ruger supplied rings or aftermarket rings designed for the Ruger receivers. You'll observe two small scallops on each side of the receiver where the ring bases clamp to the receiver. This is the propriety Ruger system, for better or worse. The Warne Quick Detach Ruger-style rings are very popular for this application.

The supplied rings from Ruger should be 1" rings, simply measure the inside diameter to verify. 30mm rings would a diameter of approximately 1-1/4".

Ruger will exchange rings with you at no charge as long as they haven't been used. This allows you to change your ring diameter or ring height as needed for the particular scope you plan to use.

Another popular option to mount a traditional scope over the bolt is the use of a small Picatinny/Weaver style rail that mounts in the receiver scallops just like the Ruger rings do. Popular selections are the Weigand mount and the GG&G mount. Both are very similar in design and construction and cost is comparable. With these mounts in place one can then select the preferred Picatinny or Weaver style rings. Using mounts such as this will result in a higher scope position as compared to using Ruger style rings which may introduce cheek weld issues with the factory stock. A strap-on butt pack/cheek pad will usually resolve most cheek weld issues.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Reactions: 223mini14

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scope rings mini 14

Good info holmes, thank you. Going with the Ruger rings for now. Ordered a Millet red dot. Not much money so if I dont like it Im not out much as it would be my first scope of that type. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a mini-14 tactical with the traditional synthetic stock. This one came with a set of 1" rings and a Picatinny rail that mounts flat in top of the receiver instead of the scope rings, there is no more need for an adaptor. the rail comes with screws and Loctite and there are threaded holes just over where the scope rings would clamp on.
This is evidently a new development from Ruger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does anybody have Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on there mini 30 and if so, please let me know. I'm interested in getting one also on how to mount it. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Along the same line - sorta - I have a181-series Mini-14 and would like to mount an optic. Any suggestions as to what and how will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does any one know if using the rail with mounts reduces ejected shells from hitting the scope or the scope turret?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts