Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to long guns and I just got my first Mini-14 Ranch SS and I want to get a scope for it. I've seen some scope mounts that place the scope closer to the front of the gun. What are the advanges and disadvantages of this over having the scope closer to the shooters eye?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey monkey, The key is the "Eye Relief" of a given scope! The eye relief is the distance your eye has to be to the scope, for the light to fill the ocular lens. (rear lens). If the scope is mounted too far fwd you won't be able to see thru it. If it is mounted too close to your eye OUCH! Go to any gun shop, or even walmart just to look thru a scope and you will see what I mean. Another dis-advantage in mounting a scope way fwd is it really reduces the "Field of View". This is the width of your view at a given distance. This is imprortant for following moving targets. And off course ya would have ta buy a mount which is extra money. The rings that came with your ranch will fit most 1" tubes. But there are some people don't care about that stuff, and just like the looks of it up there. If I were you I'd try before I buy, then get what ya like. Some times I try at a gunshop or gunshow, then order that model from Midway, or cheaper than dirt, because I am cheaper than dirt! One last thing, the mini has a reputation for being tough on scopes, I'd get one with a good gaurentee. My mini ss ranch thru my new leupold scope off its back in 10 shots (loctited), and it thru brass 60 ft. so I invested in a gas bushing kit from NW Shooter Support, for $25. [email protected] Now my scope stays on, recoil is way down, and the brass plops down at 10 ft.. A couple weeks ago, using my scope at 100yds, I put 13 of 15 rds in a 8 1/2" group, with 7rds in the 6" bull, in 7 seconds. Ya can't shoot like that unless you get the recoil under control, course its fun to try. I hope this helps ya.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts