Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good scope mount for a mini(not a ranch)? I thinking about mounting a bushnell halo sight on mine. also any one know where you can get good peep sight or something better than the orignal sights.

·
Registered
685 Posts
if your not looking for a target rifle then go with halo sight. it's just expensive. ashley outdoors has replacement that a lot of people like with a contrasting white line down the center.(006-103-015) REAR SIGHT20.00 and 30.00(006-103-001) front sight. hope it helps....later

·
Registered
110 Posts
Accuracy Rifle Systems out of Odessa Texas
recommends one. I would trust them.
They have a web site but I don't have the link
here at work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone had any experience with raised scope mounts in the mini ranch? I would like to be able to use the steel sites as well as the scope. Is there even a set of raised scope rings that are available for the mini?

Thanks,

V. V.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I believe there are flip-mounts, which are hinged and lock closed pretty tight. I can't think of the brand name, though. Also, there are the see-through raised Weaver mounts. I've heard bad things about them though.

Note: I just bought that Ranch+ mounting "Bridge" for my short scope ( http://www.jackweigand.com/ranch.html ), and it's great, but the problem is: to site, I have to raise my cheek slightly off the stock (actually placing the side of my chin on the stock), and the scope is raised less than 1/2 inch only. If I could see through the bridge, the scope is just high enough to use the peep sights. I imagine the same problem exists with the Weaver mounts. Now I have to look into getting one of those cheek-pad additions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am assuming that even the high scope mounts do not allow visualization of the steel sites. It would be nice to be able to use the steel sites and the scope.

One of my questions is does the handguard interfere with the scope? I read that the handguard sometimes moves with firing decreasing the accuracy of the gun because of the additional movement.

I am using scope with a 42 mm objective with the standard rings. I have added a flip up lens cover that slips over the end of the scope. It fits snuggly between the scope and the handguard but with no clearance.

So, is my scope getting bumped with each shot causing some of my accuracy problems? If so, I might try a high scope mount.

V. V.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by Varmint Vaporizer
So, is my scope getting bumped with each shot causing some of my accuracy problems? If so, I might try a high scope mount.

V. V.
Good question, and the answer is: I don't know.

The High Ruger scope mounts don't allow you to see the iron sights.

Maybe if you could cut some kind of slot out of the scope cover cylinder, you could create more clearance for your scope. I might be trying the high rings soon too, because I have a similar problem on my Mini-30. Scope sits right on the little bump in the handguard where the barrel-clip is. I'm sure this isn't good for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll take my pop up lens cover off and shoot a few rounds to see what happens. The scope may still be close enough to the handguard for it to get bumped. I'll let you know what happens.

V. V.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did some experimenting. I took the lens cover off and all my shots moved up about 7 in at 100 yd. I took my scope off and removed the handguard. There was a place rubbed on the top of the handguard where it had been hitting the scope. I removed the handguard and reinstalled the scope. The groupings were better by about 2 in at 100 yd. They went from about 6 in groups to about 4 in groups.

I switched from S&B to PMP 55 gr FMJ and the groupings got closer to 2-3in at 100 yd without the handguard.

So, I think I will get the high rings and keep shooting PMP ammo!

V. V.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Savary: Its just a cheap Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40mm. It's cheap, but it's good enough - I like the FOV: 40ft at 100 yards on 3x, and 13.4 ft on 9x.

My mini-30 has a BEC 5x42mm with lighted reticle.

V. V.: You might also have to buy a cheek addition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts