Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and the Saiga.
I just aquired a 223 and am try to get it in shape. I bought a Bushnel red dot and have read the UTG mounts can be a problem. I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Scope Lasts Longer Mounted To Rear

You don't want to mount any optic that far forward on your trusty AK. The reason is that if you are serious and run at least 4 mags thru the rifle very fast, the heat generated will eventually damage or destroy any electronicical scope mounted. Don't ask me how I know this. Kinda embarrassing.

You will need to mount your chosen scope back to the rear over top the top cover. I think Saiga's have that nice factory receiver side mount. Mine do. Exploit that mount. Only again you will probably have to remove and reshim the side scope mount to zero the scope down the bore of the rifle.

Also be sure to pick a particular model of scope mount that sits the scope just high enough that you can take the rifle down for cleaning without having to dismount the scope. A tricky business. Sometimes a good manufacture can tell you exactly what scope will or won't clear the top cover. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You don't want to mount any optic that far forward on your trusty AK. The reason is that if you are serious and run at least 4 mags thru the rifle very fast, the heat generated will eventually damage or destroy any electronicical scope mounted. Don't ask me how I know this. Kinda embarrassing.

You will need to mount your chosen scope back to the rear over top the top cover. I think Saiga's have that nice factory receiver side mount. Mine do. Exploit that mount. Only again you will probably have to remove and reshim the side scope mount to zero the scope down the bore of the rifle.

Also be sure to pick a particular model of scope mount that sits the scope just high enough that you can take the rifle down for cleaning without having to dismount the scope. A tricky business. Sometimes a good manufacture can tell you exactly what scope will or won't clear the top cover. HB of CJ (old coot)
I've run red dots over the rail for thousands of rounds, no "melting "electronicical" (lol) devices......
give the Scout Scope mount a look, it's a better option than the rail mount IMHO, because it is a back up iron rear sight that adjusts for windage...and..you can still take off your dust cover and strip normally without losing zero:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Also, check out the Saiga Forum, they have all your questions answered there. I'm there too and they really know their stuff!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Great Pictures And Thank You!

Yep...you claim to have run 1000's of rounds thru your rifle and NEVER have had any HEAT problems with your ELECTROINICAL SCOPE mounted right over the hottest part of the rifle.. OK. Whatever you say. Let's leave it at that. But...but...what about ZOMBIE HOARDS? AUUGHHH! Great pictures. I need to learn how to do that. I do notice that your cool setup has the scope....mounted back over the rear where....it does NOT get soos hot. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :) (ZOMBIES MAY BE EVERYWHERE!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep...you claim to have run 1000's of rounds thru your rifle and NEVER have had any HEAT problems with your ELECTROINICAL SCOPE mounted right over the hottest part of the rifle.. OK. Whatever you say. Let's leave it at that. But...but...what about ZOMBIE HOARDS? AUUGHHH! Great pictures. I need to learn how to do that. I do notice that your cool setup has the scope....mounted back over the rear where....it does NOT get soos hot. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :) (ZOMBIES MAY BE EVERYWHERE!)
I've had this MAK 90 since 1992, so yes, literally tens of thousands of rounds, many of them with red dot sights over the rail.

I mean that the quality of the red dot sight has a direct impact on whether it will fail under adverse temps. I hate to admit that I bought cheap junk and watched it fail, but I have...so that is why I said what I said. The Scout Scope mount comes with a mini detachable rail so you can get a lot of flexibility has to mounting options. If your optic does fail, you can pop off the rail and use the BUIS that is built into the mount, which also is windage adjustable. The greatest thing about it is that you can still field strip the weapon normally, removing the dust cover and not loose zero.:cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
... I think Saiga's have that nice factory receiver side mount. Mine do. Exploit that mount. Only again you will probably have to remove and reshim the side scope mount to zero the scope down the bore of the rifle...
I haven't found it necessary to remove and reshim the side scope mount to zero either Eotech or Trijicon reflex scopes on any of my Saiga rifles that I have. However, there are big quality differences in the available side mounts themselves. I haven't tried any of the more expensive ones, but some of the cheaper ones are pure crap, while others perform very well for the price.

I have the Midwest Industries quad rail forearm for my .223 Saiga, and while it does put the red dot in a better position for me, it does get very hot, making a forward pistol grip or gloves necessary. That is the only complaint that I have with the Midwest Industries quad rail for the Saiga rifles. So far I haven't burnt up an Eotech, but it seems like it could be possible if you do a lot of heavy shooting with it mounted up front. I have destroyed cheaper knockoff red dots on the side mount on my 5.45 Saiga's, usually taking not over 5 rounds, but this was not heat related, they didn't last long enough for heat to be an issue.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You Are Very Lucky Indeed

Me...I'm still batting .000 with six (6) attempts to mount Eotecks on various Saiga stuff. But, then again, I zero the scope first sooss when everything is in place, the Eoteck is zeroed down the bore right to left and up and down...when the Eoteck is also zeroed right to left and up and down. Easy to remove and reshim and the math is actually fun. I used automotive engine valve adjustment shim cut to fit.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW FORMAT! CAN WE RETURN TO THE OLD WAY? HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't like the Ultimak for they same reason. And Crockett's red dot set-up ain't mounted over the foreend. Not even close. I much prefer the UTG Quick-Detachable low mount for scopes or red dots. I can still completely field strip the rifle...

M

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't like the Ultimak for they same reason. And Crockett's red dot set-up ain't mounted over the foreend. Not even close. I much prefer the UTG Quick-Detachable low mount for scopes or red dots. I can still completely field strip the rifle...

M
Yes, the UTG Quick detachable mount has worked well for me, specifically the UTG MNT-978 Model 47 quick release double rail side mount. No problems with returning to zero after field strip and cleaning. I tried a no name clone that didn't work at all, it would not stay tight on the side rail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.