Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I am using a Leupold Vari X 11 I bought at Academy Sports for $179. It is like a snapon or craftsman tool guranteed for life. The warranty follows the scope not the owner. My new SS Ranch thru brass 60 feet. and every 10 shots the scope was flopy loose. I put in The gas bushing kit ( the large one worked best for me) and also a Shock Buff to dampen the operating rod. Now it dosen't kick so much. Brass is pitched about 10 ft. If my math is correct, I figure the recoil is about 84% less. Its gotta make any scope last longer. Hope this helps ya. cajungeo

·
Registered
685 Posts
i think it's mike knifefong (i hope i did not bucher the name). i have a bushnell trophy 1.75-4 with circle reticle and i love it .the buffer is to take away the "impulse" recoil that BEATS on your recever.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Guido05, The shock-buff is a rubber pad which goes between the
Operating Rod end, and the gas blocks, so the operating rod hits
the rubber pad instead of slamming metal to metal on the gas
blocks, reducing the shock to your scope.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unless you've got one I've not seen, I think you've got it backwards there. The buffer installs on the main spring guide to cushion the receiver from the slide block. I did read a post about someone's speculations as to the effect of a thin peice of rubber fitted to the gas block around the piston to dampen shock up front. Might work...sounds messy.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Yes sir my shock-buff I got from Shooter Support is about 1/8 inch
thick rubber pad. It fits over the gas piston, absorbing the shock between the operating rod end and the gas block halves. There is still about another 1/8" of travel after the bolt seats. It sounds more like a thud than a hammering metal to metal. Seems to work well so far. It installs in a couple of seconds, not messy at all. Will check it now and then to see how long it will last.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Whoah! Is that what that thing is? (Sorry Mike!) I had no clue. I use a buffer tech for the receiver so I never gave the shock buff a second thought. I didn't realize it went there. My apologies, especially to Mike @ NWSS. Damn, I'm gonna go try that thing for feel right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I posted a thread on the accurizing site looking for information on gas bushings, but I see I was in the wrong place. My mini is
throwing cartridges at least 50 feet, and it sounds like a new
bushing is something I should try. Now, where do I get one of these things?:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cajungeo, thank you for the infirmation. It's kind of embarassing
to be bouncing brass all over the range. I'll let you know how it
works out. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.