Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am planning on purchasing my first mini 14 on wensday. I have decided to go with the Stainless/synthetic ranch rifle.

That brings me to my question, I am looking for a scope for it. I will mostly use it for ****/rabbit/skunk/coyote/fox (general ranch animals) I know a .22lr is enought to handle the small game of that list but I want to have a little fun and I want the extra power. Anyway I am looking for a scope that is around $200-300 without rings or a base. It needs to be at least 4-12x with Adjustable Objective. I would need it to shoot from about 10 yards to 300, and I like to be zoomed in quite a bit on my target so thats why I want the 12x. Weight of the scope is not an issue. I was thinking a 50mm objective but I wanted to get yall's opinion before I went out and spend 300 on a scope.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
The thing you will have to watch is the objective lens size, with the Rugar ranch rings which come with your rifle. My leupold 3-9x40mm has 1/8" clearance to the hand guard. It cost $179 at Academy Sports. With a big 50mm you would have to get a mount, and raised rings, oops! there goes your cheek weld for those long shots, and more money. It would be a blast to nail a yote at 300 yds, but it would also be cool to call one in real close. Another thing to consider is its hard to shoot with a 12x unless you are using bipods or laying down prone. Do they have any goat heads, or fire ants in Austin?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by cajungeo
Do they have any goat heads, or fire ants in Austin?
We do have fire ants here but no goats. Although at my ranch where I do all my shooting we do have about 10 thousand head of goat and you really really want to avoid the prone position in any of the pasture they graze in. When you get up your prety much covered in poop.

If it helps your decision any I will be firing out of a truck window and using my spot light as a monopod.

Mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
Waffen---The Mini is hard pressed to be very accurate out at 300 yards. If you figure 3 MOA which may be abit hopeful you might be able to hit within 9" of where you aim at 300 yards. This would be good for shooting old Ford pickups. A good quality 3X9 is plenty for the Mini. If you're shooting out of a window there are camera stores that sell window mounts for cameras. It'd be an easy job to attach a bag to the rest instead of a camera & you'd end up with a fairly steady rest. You might also want to invest in a brass catcher if you're shooting from inside a truck cab. Fire ants are the only things I don't miss after moving from Texas.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
716 Posts
Geez! Firing from inside a vehicle! That would get you in big trouble in WI. Unless you are handicapped, that's a big no-no here.

Of course, when I lived in CO, anything goes!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not in law enforcement, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I beleive it is illegal to shoot out of your vehicle in Texas (if it is moving). Sounds like you don't care much, because it is also illegal to spotlight (depending upon what your hunting). But I tell ya what, i won't tell if ya take me with ya!;)
Glad to see another Austinite in the board....good luck to ya!

·
Registered
203 Posts
try a weigand ruger scope base from Brownells. Before you invest in a convential scope investigate ACOG Reflex II sights. The don't have quite the magnification that you want but have tritium reticle for low light for varmits and a light gathering capibility with fiber optics. I'm a fellow Texan, check your local law before shooting from a vehicle. Off the highway, NO/NO, or any other public road. On your own ranch, you would be hard pressed to explain to the Game Warden "Why did I shoot Bambi." Any way HA! HA! Hope you kill all of the Crows and Varmits you can vaporize. They destroy my fruit trees. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts