Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old eyes aren't what the used to be, so I've been toying with the idea of scoping my Marlin 336, 30/30. The only thing I use the gun for is recreational shooting at public and private ranges.

Got a new Cabela's catalog a couple days ago and they are featuring a lever-action scope supposedly designed with range markings for use with Hornady's new lever-action ammunition. Cabela's P/N on the scope is XX 71-2741. Scope, mount and rings will run about $150.

Does anyone have any experience with the scope, or possibly have any better suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dont rule out a red dot. I had one on my AK and loved it, but just remember to turn off the switch when you are done.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I put this Pentax 1.75-5X on my Marlin SRC. The optics are superb.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just ordered a leupold VX-1 2-7x33 to replace a 3-9x50 bushnell. The 3-9 was just to big so I decided to go with something a little more streamlined. It should really look good on my 336 35 Remy.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The Weaver Classic K series fixed 4 and fixed 6 power scopes would also be a great choice. I have a fixed 6X on my Stevens .223. Optical quality is outstanding. They go for about $120

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
This worked for me.

I realize that this is not exactly the answer you were looking for but I recently pulled the scope from my 336, 35 rem.
My dad gave me this gun for my 16th birthday (1976) and I promptly removed the rear sight and mounted a Weaver 4x. Over the next 10 years I shot some nice deer with the gun and swapped out the scope several times.

In my late twenties I started to make a little money and began adding to my collection, 308s, 270s, 7mms. My old 336 spent most of the last 20 years sitting in the gun cabinet.

Then last year I was invited to go on a hunting trip to Anticosti Island.

The island has a reputation for unpredictable and severe weather. I was allowed to bring two guns. My 270 wsm Browning stalker with 3x9 scope was going on the trip and I felt like I wanted an un-scoped gun just in case the weather went to hell.

For a long time I had considered putting a peep on my 336 but I had just never gotten around to it. This trip was just the catalyst I needed.

To make a long story short, I installed a Williams FP Receiver Sight I ended up shooting both of my deer in hurricane condition with my newly modified 336.

I absolutely love this set-up. Not only is this now my best handling weapon it is deadly accurate in side of 200 yards and the 200 grain 35 caliber bullet gets the job done nicely.

This is my first post by the way. This looks like a great forum. Thanks for having me.:)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/williams_FP_sight.htm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great story Mwark...

I like peeps as well. I use Lymann 66a and XS mostly. If I were going to scope a Levergun, I would put something like a 1x4. 4x is plenty of most levergun ranges.

I have not tried the Leverevolution scope though, so I can't comment on it.

If you get the scope please post a review so we can all learn more about it.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I put XS Ghost Rings on my Marlin, love them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts