Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forum. I did some searching and didn't seem to find much info, I'm looking into submitting a form 1 on my 580 ranch Rifle. I was hoping somebody here has don't the same. I was probably going to cut the barrel to 12 or 13 inches, then threading it for my Halo or omega suppressors. I'm concerned about over gassing, and how to correct the problem. I don't really like the adjustable gas blocks currently offered so what size bushing should I go with? Before I submit my form 1 I just want to make sure it will be worth it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Bushings aren't too hard to install, so you'll prob need to experiment in sizes between sub/supersonic loads, or an adjustable gas block.
When you fill out the form, and it asks for bbl length, don't put in a number, like 12", as you'll be committed to that length. Just put "less than 16".

Reactions: tri70

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Hurn, you'll be lucky to function with the factory gas bushing. Shortening the barrel will give the gas less time to cycle the action, so certainly a reduced-size gas bushing is inappropriate If anything, an expanded gas bushing might help.

Try it out first with the factory bushing. If is short-strokes, you may need to drill out the factory bushing a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ac 556k

I had a folding stock Ruger AC556K with a 13" barrel. It was loud as heck and eroded the flash suppressor in a short amount of time. I am not sure about the gas bushing size but it spewed the used brass about 5 to 6 feet. I don't think these guns would hold-up for serious military use as they were designed for police work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why not use an adjustable gas block? You said you don't like them, but they do work. I have an old ASI block and it works quite well. I only shoot warm NATO loads and the adjustable GB allowed me to keep my over gassed Mini from slamming the carrier into the back of the receiver with every shot.

You will spend a lot of time trying different gas bushings, and if you decide take the suppressor off after changing the gas bushing the rifle may not function well.

With an adjustable it will be much easier to keep the rifle properly gassed.

JMHO YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts