Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 10fp savage in .308. Sighted it in probably a half inch high at 100 yds for now using 168 grain match bullets, but without looking i cant remember what brand. What range do you typically sight a rifle like this? I was thinking of using a 200yd zero but now im wondering if i shouldnt be thinking of using a 300 yd zero instead.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It really doesn't matter if you set your zero at 100 or 200 yards as long as you know the ballistics of the round that you are shooting,you can make up a ballistic chart for your scope adjustments.
A chronograph comes in real handy for this type of info.

I have most of my rifles zeroed at 100,but a few are at 200,but I chrono all of my loads so I can just use a ballistics calculator for any range on any load that I'm shooting.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It sounds like your using it for hunting? If so I'd probably zero it for around 230yd, with the hunting load your going to be using. This should keep you +/- 3" out to around 280yd (IE MPBR Maximum Point Blank Range). This should put you 3" high somewhere in the 125yd area.

If your shooting targets, than zero at the same distance the targets are.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use a 200 yard Zero, that puts me +1.8 high at 100 yards and -7.8 at 300 yards and -22.4 at 400 yards. I use my .308 for deer hunting mostly and with an 18 inch vital area on the deer, this set-up allows me for quick shots when I don't have time to range an animal. I don't normaly have 400 yards shots in my area I hunt unless I'm on a powerline easement. The 300 yard zero will put you +5.2 at 200 yards and if you pull an offhand shot high you're gonna have a good chance to miss the animal completely. With the 200 yard zero you can pretty much throw the rifle up and take a center mass hold and make a quick kill with out having to think about tradjectory. With the exception of the 400 yard range which is a high hold on the spine and should put it in the vitals. I'm shooting the 165 accubond with 44 gr. of Varget. That what work's the best for me in my area but if I where in an open area like out in the plains I might reconsider my settings or use my 7mm Mag which has less drop.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im using it for deer and varmints on the farm. i usually shoot about 200 maximum range but since i got this new big boy rifle ive been thinking of reaching out to 400 on occasion. i think ill sight it in for 200. that seems pretty decent. i sighted it in with 168 grain sierra match king boat tail hollowpoints. but ill probably shoot some nosler ballistic tips when i go after deer because i like the way they pop.

·
CantRe Member
628 Posts
It really doesn't matter if you set your zero at 100 or 200 yards as long as you know the ballistics of the round that you are shooting,you can make up a ballistic chart for your scope adjustments.
A chronograph comes in real handy for this type of info.

I have most of my rifles zeroed at 100,but a few are at 200,but I chrono all of my loads so I can just use a ballistics calculator for any range on any load that I'm shooting.
Agreed!

After 200yds you really need to know the drop of your load.

Sighting in at 100 yds is less confusing when figuring drop, hold over and windage as compared with setting your rifle at MPBR and then trying to calculate a longer shot.

If you do a lot of varmint hunting, 100 yd zero is probably best because of the size of your target.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I've noticed most factory ammo ballistic charts assume a 200 zero for high power rounds and 100 yards for the intermediate/Varmint calibers.

as already stated - you can't go wrong in most areas with a 200 yard zero for hunting purposes, where a dead center hold will hit well enough to ensure a humane kill from in close out to 300 yards on a deer sized animal.

·
Tracker
178 Posts
I have a Savage 110 FP tactical Rifle in 7.62 X 51 MM with a10X SWFA Super Sniper scope with a 250 Yd zero.
My shooting, a man size target to 500yds.
Joe-R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts