Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the "wants" for a 7.62x39 in a bolt action. The only two I can find in production are the Savage and the CZ mentioned above. Anybody have experience with either of these rifles. I like the Savage due to the 3 other Savages I have. I also like the 20.5" barrel of the Savage over the 18.5 " of the CZ. I like the wood on the CZ as opposed to the synthetic stock of the Savage. Suggested list is about $150 less for the CZ. Neither is available in the local gus shops and they tell me they can't order any right now because the distributors don't have any either.
Anybody have some input on this?

· Registered
853 Posts
Zastava M85 "mini-mauser" is another one in production. Ruger made one a while ago too, if you can find a used one, since they no longer make it. I saw the Zastava at my LGS recently, good looking gun. Wood is nice and the action was pretty sweet too. It is basically the old Remington 799, from everything I can tell.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
I own a CZ527 in 7.62x39. Love it. The stock is excellent, so nice you may not want to take it out in the weather. The trigger is smooth, especially when you use the "set" feature. Accuracy is not an issue. I have an extra Mag. Rings are expensive. Weight is light. I liked it so much that I bought another in .204 Ruger. I have never shot any surplus ammo in the thing. I only shoot Federal or hand loads.

· Registered
663 Posts
No offense to Savage Arms (we have three of their rifles haha), but that scout rifle looks like it has "after thought" written all over it. Crummy iron sights and the scout base looks like it was just thrown on there.

Id go with the CZ over the Savage scout. Any other savage rifle would be a much tougher decision for me

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the input. As it is now neither of the guns are available. Savage Sales says their gun is "out there" but I've contacted Dealer within 200 mls of my home and they all say the Distributors don't have them so they can't order.
Two Dealers say they have standing orders with CZ-USA's Distributors but no guns yet. I guess it will come down to which one turns up first. Those that have responded else where to my questions mirror what is being said here so it looks like I really can't go wrong with either rifle.
Again, thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.