Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to target practice tomorrow. Now all I have to decide is which weapons I plan to shoot. Compared to most I have a small inventory but still it is enough to require some decision process. I have .22 plinking days, carbine days and long rifle days. I always pair up a pistol or 2 with a rifle. If I ever get my 1911 it will go with the long rifle(30.06). My 9 mil goes with carbine(mini 30 and SKS) and my Ruger Mark 3 target goes on .22 days with my Marlin 60 rifle.

I never get in a rush. Range days are like meditation for me. I feel more relaxed, calm and peaceful and it lasts for a day or 2 after I go shoot.

Sometimes I may have some equipment to fiddle with like a new scope or moving a scope position, re-sighting in a rifle. Lately, I've been focused on getting my Romanian SKS back in good shooting condition. I think it is ok now since I have run about 60 or 80 rounds through with no issues. Occasionally I will test a new home load to see how it might compare to my tried and true loads.

I absolutely love my range days. I talk with people a lot at the range. We often swap guns and try out each other's stuff. I got to shoot an authentic Colt 45 wild west gun once and a full auto ak 47. I got to shoot a CZ 75 which I probably won't ever be able to buy but that is a very nice gun. I get to shoot guns I will never be able to own which is a good/bad thing sometimes. However, nobody has ever asked me if they could shoot my Arisaka 7.7, LOL.

What are your range days like?

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
I agree about the meditation aspect. Nothing clears the mind more then a range day followed by a good scrub down of your guns. Sometimes I find the cleaning to be more therapeutic then the shooting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Range day is my one on one time with my 17 yr old daughter. She doesn't seem to have much time for me anymore except when it's time try to outshoot the old man with her Mini 14 or 10/22. Last time out she couldn't miss and had a smile on her face all the way home.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I love fall and winter, I get out almost every weekend and shoot, test new loads. It does make the week go by easier.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For me also there's not much more relaxing than a relatively slow day at the range, shooting from a bench and tinkering with a scope, working on breathing and muscle control, etc. Busy range days can be a bit stressful though.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is not much wide open in northeast Texas anymore. Anybody that has land does not want people shooting. They are likely to have cows, horses or some sort of animals out on their land.

My range has covered shooter areas with tables and benches but at least down range is all open air.

The only down side is that I only have 150 yards to practice in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey, hottarod.
My youngest daughter loves my 7.7 Arisaka and wants it when I die! It kicks pretty hard for her so I had to make up some lighter loads so she can shoot it longer before the deep tissue bruising sets in. We do plink with it but the 300 meter battle zero makes it very challenging. I have Norma brass in the rotation but I reform all the .30-06 brass I can get my hands on.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't want to try and put optics on mine and I can't see well through that birds eye sight. It is still a hoot to shoot. People come over and ask me what sort of a cannon am I firing. Apparently, its LOUD! What? I can't hear you, my ears are ringing from shooting this Japanese cannon gun, LOL. I need to get the authentic sling and the prop rod which I would not use. It is just correct for the gun.

Oh yeah. It is missing the noise maker too. Its that bolt dust cover thing.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
With the ammo situation as it is, I would probably opt to shoot the .30-06 and 45 acp at this time. Can't even find more than a couple 50 rnd. boxes of .22 lr at this time. Plenty of .30-06, 270 and 243 on the shelves and a little 30-30. 45 acp seems available on the internet but not much locally.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have an M38.. I couldnt survive an entire range day shooting it exclusively.
The M44 isn't too bad with the extra 1.5lbs of bayonet weight, at least for 30 or so with the Russian ammo. The Prvi match ammo is the hottest I've tried and that has a bit more sting. Either way I always bring something else, they get too hot, and so does my shoulder. Switching off to a 30-30 seems like a dove fart.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I spoke to a buddy at work that bought a bunch of guns with tax refund money. He bought a lever 30/30, a 45/70, 22LR and 9mm pistol also a shotgun rifle combo. He finds all the ammo he wants to shoot and at a good price.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I shoot my .22's, pistols and pistol round-chambered carbines at home. I live on the edge of a small town, I have my 'range' - 30 yds - set up just outside the city limits. I used a 5' length of 30" dia plastic culvert to make a 'muffler' of sorts that I mount onto a bracket on the table I use to shoot from. really cuts the noise. hi-vel .22's you can barely hear from 20' away. .357 and .45acp target loads are no louder than a .22 particular out of a carbine barrel.
so I take my bottle-neck rifles to the range couple times yearly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.