Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like my Samson folder but I can’t find any detachable sling swivels that will fit correctly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've tried a couple of Uncle Mike's but they wouldn't completely lock in. Do you have them on a Samson A-TM stock?
Yes, everything seems to be fully snapped in ok. How is yours not completely locked in?
With the loop in position, there isn't enough space for the pin to fully seat into a secure position. I have tried two different model numbers of Uncle Mike's with the same results.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With the loop in position, there isn't enough space for the pin to fully seat into a secure position. I have tried two different model numbers of Uncle Mike's with the same results.
you've tried model 1091-2 specifically?
Not yet. I'm trying to locate that model online.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
http://www.rbo.hk/product/show_product.php?id=1868

I must admit being a little confused. Heard about this issue before, and perhaps I am dense enough to not understand.

This is the best photo I've seen of the rear sling attachment point on the Samson/Ruger folder. It appears that the rear sling attachment is not a screw-in sling stud, but integral with the hinge portion of the folding stock.
https://i.imgur.com/gOiEY7L.jpg

I assume the front sling loop is for a 1" sling.

As it is, folks seem to be complaining that their detachable sling loops do not attach to the fitment on stock properly.

Where I'm confused is why. Is the hole in the fitment of too-small Internal Diameter? Perhaps some additional problem?

Both of these dimensions should meet standardized dimensions for sling swivels.

I'd begin by trying some different sling loops, because the one that has had a problem might be the problem.

If the problem actually is the dimensions of the fitment for the sling swivel, then contact the mfr (Samson), and see what they can do for you. Maybe contact Ruger--especially if you bought it from Ruger-- and also ask them if there is a "fix".

Even if both mfr and vendor can't help, there ought to be simple fixes for this problem.

The exact fix depends on the exact problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have purchased a couple of the Samson stocks and have also experienced issues with mounting the detachable swivels. I have even tried original Ruger swivels as came on the the original factory folders and still had issues. I have noticed inconsistencies in the machining on the Samson folders that I have but I have been able to modify them to operate properly. First attempt was to round the edges of the swivel itself and this worked for one stock but no the other. I ended up using a Dremel to shape the receptacle on the stock. It looks like the hole drilled for the swivel pin does not allow enough clearance to get proper alignment and swivel. This throat area needs to be shaped for proper operation as was done on the originals. There have been a few other issues noted on the stocks and it looks like there have been some minor revisions since the inception. I still wonder if anyone at Samson has ever tried a swivel on the stock as they would immediately see the issue. It would be an easy correction on their part or even if they would just offer a properly functioning swivel themselves.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I contacted Ruger and the service rep gave me the Uncle Mike’s QD swivel that they use part #1093-3. I ordered them and they still didn’t lock In completely.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
I have purchased a couple of the Samson stocks and have also experienced issues with mounting the detachable swivels. I have even tried original Ruger swivels as came on the the original factory folders and still had issues. I have noticed inconsistencies in the machining on the Samson folders that I have but I have been able to modify them to operate properly. First attempt was to round the edges of the swivel itself and this worked for one stock but no the other. I ended up using a Dremel to shape the receptacle on the stock. It looks like the hole drilled for the swivel pin does not allow enough clearance to get proper alignment and swivel. This throat area needs to be shaped for proper operation as was done on the originals. There have been a few other issues noted on the stocks and it looks like there have been some minor revisions since the inception. I still wonder if anyone at Samson has ever tried a swivel on the stock as they would immediately see the issue. It would be an easy correction on their part or even if they would just offer a properly functioning swivel themselves.
Interesting. Can you please expand on "There have been a few other issues noted on the stocks and it looks like there have been some minor revisions since the inception." Not doubting you, but seeking additional info both as to problems and revisions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my experience

Hate to admit this but when I was trying to install my swivel on the rear I did not realize that it was not supposed to go ALL the way through what was there. Figured out that the slot 2/3rd of the way down was supposed to have the swinging arm go into it, not below it! Works great with some miscellaneous mutt pup swivels I had laying around and yes they are the threaded locking style.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had to take a drill and file to get mine to fit. I dont think Samson does the kind of fitting and QC like ruger does. Just poor the mold and let them go without checking for fitment.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
Hate to admit this but when I was trying to install my swivel on the rear I did not realize that it was not supposed to go ALL the way through what was there. Figured out that the slot 2/3rd of the way down was supposed to have the swinging arm go into it, not below it! Works great with some miscellaneous mutt pup swivels I had laying around and yes they are the threaded locking style.
I noticed the slot you mention in the pic I linked above, and in the back of my mind, I was wondering if that was the exact source of the sling swivel fitment issues. Said nothing because I have not handled the stock, and I hoped that someone who had handled the stock would come across with some enlightening comments, as you have done. A simple note from Samson/Ruger might have saved some owners from some frustration. Even now, a couple of pix on Samson's web site and some text might not be a bad idea.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,390 Posts
Image of sling swivel correctly installed on rear of Original Ruger folding stock:

I can see how some Samson/Ruger stock owners might have a problem attaching the sling swivel, given apparently zero instruction on how to do it.

This assumes no fitment "issues" with the Samson/Ruger stocks themselves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. Can you please expand on "There have been a few other issues noted on the stocks and it looks like there have been some minor revisions since the inception." Not doubting you, but seeking additional info both as to problems and revisions.
The area above the pistol grip on the right side where the swing arm pivot attaches was originally cut out with a radius but the more recent Samson stocks have this area cut into the wood with a square trough as was on the most recent Ruger originals.

Many people have noted fitment issues with proper lock up of barreled action to the stock. This stock has a different liner than the mini-14 as it is supposed to work with the -14 or -30. Some people have mentioned having excessive gaps where the stock meets the gas block or issues with the receiver moving for and aft in the stock. I saw mention of trying an actual mini-14 liner from Ruger which is different but never saw actual info if this would work. Also have seen mention of filing and bending to get proper lock but never tried this myself. I noticed that mine was not installed properly and was not seated in the stock cutouts as designed. Someone was careless during assembly and it was not caught during final inspection. It was not highly obvious until I started looking because of the issue. It was easily corrected and did not require any bending or trimming.

There have also been issues noted with the folder swinging and lining up properly and securing on the stud on the right side. Some people have mentioned having to enlarge the the clearance hole on the stainless tube. I had this issue on one of mine but again found that trimming or enlarging the hole was not necessary. Reassembly and attention to function as tightening the securing fasteners allowed me to adjust for proper function.

My stocks will no longer be warrantied by Samson because of my work but they do fit and function as intended. I have completely disassembled and refinished them as well because I was not happy with the "blond" walnut. Also during this process I replaced the current allen head fasteners with the original type slotted machine screws. I did replace the grip on one of mine with the original bakelite grips from an old original as well.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts