Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking specifically of the 16.5" barreled version, but reports on accuracy and range for any saiga 308 would be appreciated.

Also, if I wanted to install a tapco G2 trigger on one, would I have to make it 922(r) compatible? If so, how many parts need to be replaced?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have owned one of each barrel lengths of the S-308.

What are your plans for ammunition? Factory match, hand loads, or surplus?

Surplus ammunition of either barrel length is not going to give you the best results.

My first impressions of the 16" were good. Stiff short barrel, open sights with South African 7.62x51 the tightest 5 shot grouping was 2.5" @100 yards.

Same ammunition out the 22" was no less impressive. Problem with the 22" was barrel whip. This happens with most AK platforms. I would get vertical stringing after the first groups. The barrel needs to rested between groupings.

I did some hand loading for these rifles best group with iron sights was 1.5" @ 100 yards. I did replace the rear sight with a Krebs peep sight.

I did manage sub groups once I mounted an optic. The Russian style scopes were no better than the irons but a good Leupold did the job with the hand loads. Sub groups is not to be expected consistently but I managed 1" groups with the hand loads.

As for the Tapco trigger unless you convert the rifle fully the FCG will not fit. If you plan to convert the rifle you will need a pistol grip, butt stock, and the FCG this will give you 5 parts for US compliance.

The Saiga is a great rifle for hunting or even a reliable battle rifle if you chose to go that route. The price is affordable and if you do the conversion which is simple it will make a great MBR.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I found conversion kits online that were reasonably priced. I thought it was a more complicated process, but apparently that is only if you mess with the mag well.

I would probably start shooting surplus, but I do plan on getting into reloading soon, so I would mess around with that. Thanks for the info, those group sizes sound pretty dern good for a rifle that is 1/3 the cost of an AR-10 or M1A... Not match groups, but certainly good enough for my purposes (which are: glorified paper puncher ;-) ).

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
one of the guys at the range I shoot at has a SOCOM 16 M1A... with that short barrel

it's blast is Stupendous! from what I've seen there and experiences of others on the 'net, 16" barreled .308s are pretty beastly. does Saiga make it in a 18" barrel? your ears and shooting partners may thank you for that in the long run...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No on the 18", but I was thinking that would be smart too...

I might try to see if I can get Prince50 over at SKSboards to make me a version of his SKS front sight that will fit the Saiga 308 barrel, so then I could buy the longer model and cut it to 18"... That, or just deal with the muzzle blast from the 16".

Tex, do you have any feedback regarding the muzzle blast/noise? I know in theory it should be about as bad as the socom, but then again, I've also heard that the Ruger scout is surprisingly tame (I know it has the brake, but it's also a bolt action).

I'm in NY, so I might not be able to put a brake on mine, I'll have to research a little into that though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts