Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my first AR-15 today, a S&W Sport. I went to my local gun shop looking for an Ar after the election. They said that they would be getting in a Sport and they said they would call me when it came in on Friday. They didn't call but I went and checked anyway. I asked if they got it in and, the owner went and checked. He came out with the box, and I put $200 down after I looked at it. I asked them how much they were going to charge for it, and they said they go for about $800 now after the election. But they said I could have it for $610. What is everyones think about this gun?

·
Registered
451 Posts
S+w

That's a good buy.

I will be getting my first AR-15 today, a S&W Sport. I went to my local gun shop looking for an Ar after the election. They said that they would be getting in a Sport and they said they would call me when it came in on Friday. They didn't call but I went and checked anyway. I asked if they got it in and, the owner went and checked. He came out with the box, and I put $200 down after I looked at it. I asked them how much they were going to charge for it, and they said they go for about $800 now after the election. But they said I could have it for $610. What is everyones think about this gun?

·
Registered
852 Posts
The sport is a great rifle and the price you are getting is pretty damn good. I have a sport upper I bought off someone from another forum in Mass. After I gave it the freedom treatment (threaded the barrel and added flash hider) I took it to the range and it shoots very well. Easily an MOA rifle with the right ammo. I like the Sport since it doesn't have the forwards assist and ejection port cover. Plus the 1/8 medium weight barrel is terrific as it can handle lighter and heavier rounds better than a 1/9 twist. Plus S&W customer service is top notch. You got a great deal there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I have it, I just need a day off work to go shooting. As this is my first AR, what is the best way to clean the gun? How much oil do I need to use?
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think there are better options for the price, but good luck with it anyways. I am sure it will treat you with many years of good service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back from shooting

I just got back from shooting my Sport. I love this gun. I was only able to shoot about 60 rounds through it, but I didnt have a problem even with cheap russian ammo. I had a friend with me that has never shot an AR before, and now he wants one. It was intresting having to teach some one how to use it.(I have shot AR's mutilple times.)But after a couple tries, he was able to load, shoot, and reload without my help. I think that it's a wonderful gun. How heavy of a bullet will the 1in8 stablize?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Each rifle will like different weights and brands of ammo. However, 1/8 twist should work fine from 55gr to 69gr. But, again, each rifle will be different. My Sport likes both 55gr and 62gr, and that is all I have used in it so far. I get 1 MOA groups with it too.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That would be sweet, but I doubt it unless someone replaced their barrel and are selling it. The only thing I dislike about the barrel is the carbine length gas system. If it were mid-length, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Yea, I hadn't really thought of the carbine length gas system. If I want to build an accurate rife I want at leas mid length although I am pretty partial to the 20" barrel with full length rifle gas system. Must be cause that's what I was raised with. I looked at a TC Venture recently in 7mm-08 that had the 5r barrel and was really tempted but didn't like the palm swell of the stock and no one seems to make aftermarket stocks for them.
Thompson Center is owned by S&W if anyone was wondering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts