Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about getting a 9mm Shield for concealed carry. It's a 1/4" skinnier than my Springfield XD Mod 2 SC, and just overall a bit smaller and easier to conceal, especially in summer clothes. Yes the trade off for skinnier one is less ammo, but that's the way it goes. Anybody on here have any experience with the S&W M&P Shield 9mm?

Steve

· large member
2,089 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a 9mm Shield for concealed carry. It's a 1/4" skinnier than my Springfield XD Mod 2 SC, and just overall a bit smaller and easier to conceal, especially in summer clothes. Yes the trade off for skinnier one is less ammo, but that's the way it goes. Anybody on here have any experience with the S&W M&P Shield 9mm?

Steve
jus a little! ;)

I recently picked up a shield. I got a CRAZY good deal on it. I have only shot it once, but it shot well. I need a bit more trigger time to draw a more proper conclusion....but for what I paid and what I got.....thus far...I am very satisfied.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Steve, I have Shield's in 9mm and .40.
I had a .45 Shield briefly, but was not all gagga over it like most.
The .40 I bought first, and it is the Performance Center model that has two small ports near the muzzle, and a much better trigger than the standard Shield models.
The ports are large enough to noticeably tame recoil, but not so large as to cause problems with excess flash, noise, etc.
If you can find a PC model in 9mm, it would be worth the extra coin.
The .45 I was not crazy about, it is longer in the slide/barrel and longer in the grip than the 9mm or .40 models. Not by much, but enough that it seemed more like a full size gun than the smaller 9mm and .40. The .45 is larger enough that many holsters for the .40 and 9mm won't fit the .45.
So I ended up trading the .45 for a 9mm Shield that I plan to give to my daughter.
All three Shield's are very accurate though, surprising for such a small pistol.
Only FTF's I had were a few with the .40, but that was probably a combination of not being broke in yet, and the ammo I was using, those yellow box Remington-UMCJ's that have such a flat tip on them.
The 9mm should be the most reliable chambering due to the slightly tapered case and such a rounded profile bullet in most loadings.
I put a Streamlight TRL-6 on the .40 and will get one for the 9 before I give it to my daughter.
Pretty cool that they can make such a tiny 100 lumen light and a laser and sell it for less than $100. There are several holster makers that make a holster to fit a TRL-6 equipped Shield.
One other thing for the Shield's that I like is the Pierce magazine extension.
No +1 capacity, but they give a place for your pinky when using the shorter magazine that you get with the Shield. Now that I have the Pierce extensions, I bought several more 6 round magazines ( 7 round in 9mm ), and prefer them over the longer magazine with the goofy sliding spacer.
I had planned to include some pics and targets of the 9mm, but my internet connection is really slow this morning.

· Registered
267 Posts
Have a recently purchased Shield in 9mm for my EDC. I really like it. Was not at all crazy about the trigger, nor was I crazy about the full size M&P9 trigger (I understand that the 2.0 triggers are much improved). So both got the Apex Tactical triggers and duty/carry kits. I really love the Apex kits. Also have added the LaserMax Laser/light combo w/green laser and "GripSense" activation to the Shield. Helps a lot with the old eyes, and the laser is bright enough for full sun outdoors. I compared it with the LC9s Pro before making the decision. The Shield just felt better in my hand. I have a Versacarry minimalist IWB holster that is fairly comfortable in appendix carry, but I've also ordered a Crossbreed Founder's Series IWB holster for it. I find it to be very accurate, but am still considering swapping in a True Precision match grade barrel.

· Banned
631 Posts
Shot my daughter Shield 9 to show her how well it shoot. You wont go wrong with the 9mm at all and highly recommend them. I carrythe full size so I use the new MP 2.0 in 45 currently and gave the 9mm to my brother after he got rid of his clunkie Kimber after shooting the M&P.

Reactions: sandog

· Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
101 Posts
I own a Shield in 9 mm and one in .45 caliber. I like both of them because of their grip sizes. The size of their grips make them easier to hold and aim than most flat and thin pistols designed for concealed carry. I also switch off with my XDs and Ruger PC-9 pistols as well. I wear the PC9s around the house because it is so light and comfortable. My XDs I wear because it is the most accurate pistol I own. But the Shield pistols also come in handy on occasion as well and they shoot well too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.