Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
large member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the first time EVER...i have an AR itch....mostly cause prices have gotten so good!

tell me what you think of the S&W M&P sport. looks like the price is right and i keep hearing good things.

i would prefer to hear from those who have shot or owned it.

thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't have a SW M&P 15 Sport but I have been well pleased with the quality of the build on the M&P 15OR and a M&P 15A that I have. The Sports look like a good inexpensive carbine (MSRP of $739 and I have seen them priced well under $700 in local gun shops) if you don't mind not having a chromed line barrel, dust cover and forward assist. They do have a melonite coated barrel with a 1/8 twist, that should give you good performance with a wide range of bullet weights from light to heavy offering some advantages over a rifle with just a 1/9 twist barrel. The melonite barrel coating is supposed to be durable. I have not really seen any bad reviews of this rifle.

I have both Mini 14's and AR's but the price on the Sport is very competitive with that of a new Mini, so that can't be bad. I purchased my M&P 15OR for around the same price as the Sport as S&W had a rebate going on at the time, but I was into it for way more money by the time I put iron backup sights and an optic on it. So, yes, the Sport looks like a good deal for a rifle that is basically ready to go out of the box.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a SW M&P 15 Sport but I have been well pleased with the quality of the build on the M&P 15OR and a M&P 15A that I have. The Sports look like a good inexpensive carbine (MSRP of $739 and I have seen them priced well under $700 in local gun shops) if you don't mind not having a chromed line barrel, dust cover and forward assist. They do have a melonite coated barrel with a 1/8 twist, that should give you good performance with a wide range of bullet weights from light to heavy offering some advantages over a rifle with just a 1/9 twist barrel. The melonite barrel coating is supposed to be durable. I have not really seen any bad reviews of this rifle.

I have both Mini 14's and AR's but the price on the Sport is very competitive with that of a new Mini, so that can't be bad. I purchased my M&P 15OR for around the same price as the Sport as S&W had a rebate going on at the time, but I was into it for way more money by the time I put iron backup sights and an optic on it. So, yes, the Sport looks like a good deal for a rifle that is basically ready to go out of the box.
thanks, i really appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I dont know either really. Main reason i didnt buy one was because i heard of the lack of a forward assist. I too am AR ignorant. When i got my buddies AR build in my hand and realized what the purpose of the forward assist was i was out on the Sport.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
No, the M&P Sport doesn't have a forward assist or a ejection port cover. It is basically the cheapest in the M&P line but it is still a good rifle. It has a 5r rifled barrel which makes it very accurate and It has a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No it doesn't have the forward assist or dust cover I have handled one at a couple different local gun shops before. If you let the bolt slam home like it was made to do, you will rarely if ever have to use the forward assist (maybe if the rifle is dirty or you have been crawling through mud). I think there was a similar discussion a while back on this board regarding its use. It might be handy for more quietly chambering a round if you aren't wanting to alert game or intruders to your presence (seen this discussed on one of those tactical tv shows for what it is worth). There are lots of AR's being made without them these days. I have a DPMS .308 AR that has the forward assist, some of their models don't, it doesn't really work like the ones do on AR15's, but I wanted a rifle with one so that is why I got that particular model.

+1 on what woodstock said.

·
(*.:.*)
495 Posts
i am AR stupid, but i think you are correct. but i think, it has a system that works the same way as a forward assist basically. anyone, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong?
The original AR-15 had no dust cover, and no forward assist.

There's a dished out spot on the side of the bolt (even on AR's with a forward assist) that can be used as a forward assist (although it's probably not a good idea when the bolt is hot). You can't apply as much force as you can with a forward assist, but then many people believe you shouldn't be applying that much force to begin with, as it could make things worse.

The barrel on the Sport is slightly heavier than a military profile barrel of the same length. It also does not have a chromed bore and chamber. Then again it has been Melanite treated, and that plus the 5R rifling may be nearly as durable (and are likely to be more accurate).

There are You Tube videos of the Sport being torture tested, and doing very well.

I have a M&P-15OR (because I got a great deal on it), but would feel well equipped with the Sport for any use to which I'm ever likely to put it.

YMMV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All my AR-15s have a forward assist but have never needed them. I meet someone at the range a couple of monthst ago who was shooting the S&W sport model that does not have the dust cover or forward assist. He was very happy with his purchase.

Seems like a good value product to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes it was a pain on my rifle but very worth it. driving out pins unscrewing the muzzle brake driving off the front sight and putting the quad rail gas block on without scratching the barrel, yeah! now ican add and remove my bipod quickly or a light etc. if you're able to use simple tools and be carefull and patient go ahead. ill post a pic soon as i want to show it off anyway.

·
S&W M&P Sport !
34 Posts
AR 15 Sport

for the first time EVER...i have an AR itch....mostly cause prices have gotten so good!

tell me what you think of the S&W M&P sport. looks like the price is right and i keep hearing good things.

i would prefer to hear from those who have shot or owned it.

thanks
This is my sport with the Tactical set up. I hope this helps you in the future.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts