Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted this on SB as well. I am trying to get as much input as possible
My wife and I were finally able to get our hands on a Shield 9mm for her after about a 6 month wait.. We got it and I did a functions check in the store. I noticed the slide stop seemed to stick a little but just chalked it up to it being a new gun. I didn't have rounds in it at this time so I couldn't really "slingshot" it to ensure everything functioned. I assumed since it was an M&P that it wasn't a problem.

Well we got it to the range and started running rounds through it. My wife went into her first reload, slapped in a fresh mag and attempted to sling shot the slide forward.. Turns out that the ONLY way that the slide will go forward is to use the slide stop. The gun will slingshot the slide home with a loaded mag inserted, with NO mag inserted, or even for takedown. The slide stop has to be manually forced down by the shooters thumb even with the slide removed from the frame.

The slide does lock to the rear on the last round like it is supposed to..

The issue to me appears to be one of two things.
1. THere is no spring tension on the slide stop. There is supposed to be a captive spring providing tension. This is the most likely situation.
2. The slide stop is binding on the polymer part of the frame.

I already talked to S&W Customer Service and they called the factory to talk to a Shield tech, none of them had heard of this particular problem. They are giving me a shipping label to send it back for repairs. it just sucks because I just sent her Sig P938 back into the factory as well because of a missing grip screw/stripped frame.. S&W is being kind enough to extend the shipping label for 3 weeks so I hopefully have her Sig back so she isn't gunless..

So far I am happy with the customer service received from S&W. and I will continue to post updates as things progress.

Anyways I just thought that I would share and maybe this might be helpful for someone.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Thanks for the detailed writeup, warts 'n all.

I'm a confirmed revolver EDC guy, but I have considered a 9x19 subcompact for that role and the S&W Shield is high on the list.

Please keep us informed on how it all turns out.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I took it down and checked the polymer. There is a slight wear mark from where I pushed the slide stop against it and worked it up and down several hundred times, but there isn't really anything that stands out to me as that being the actual problem. I think it is the spring.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Yes I took it down and checked the polymer. There is a slight wear mark from where I pushed the slide stop against it and worked it up and down several hundred times, but there isn't really anything that stands out to me as that being the actual problem. I think it is the spring.
Hi usmc0341;

Just a suggestion, but you could snap a picture of it before you send it in so you have something to compare with when they fix it.

Good luck and I'm sure S&W will make it right.
Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea Grumpy Ole Dude :D

I'm also sending in a letter with it as well. I have no doubts that S&W will make it right. I think it was a simple assembly error honestly. They have been pumping these out at the cyclic rate to keep up with demand and small things are bound to slip from time to time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my girlfriend a shield 9mm. We don't have a ton of rounds through it yet maybe 200 but so far it has functioned perfectly. She likes it a lot. The only thing I don't care for is the grip angle. I just got the XDs 9mm and I personally like the grip angle better.

·
Mike
10 Posts
I just bought a 9mm shield as my carry gun over the xd because it was on sale at the time. I've put 250 rounds through it of various fmj ammo, and about 15 rounds of the Hornady critical defense rounds. All performed flawlessly and surprisingly accurate as well. At 25yds and all factory parts, you can get center mass all day. I have noticed the slide release is a little stiff, but manageable. I am curious what s&w said about the issue though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.