Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest issue puts Mini 14 vs AR 15. Interesting read! Mini scores well (if not wins) in the head to head test article.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The article was written (and the testing completed) by Denny Hansen. Mini was a syn/ss non ranch model and AR was a pre ban Oly Car 15. Mag change speed went to AR. GI mags used in AR and Mini mags were Ruger,Ramline and 2 USAs. One USA was junk and tossed during the test. The other mags were all 100% reliable. Denny and son did all testing. Ammo used was Black Hills 55gr FMJ and "reloads using 55gr FMJ". Fired at 3/15/25/50/100yds. Mini was faster on "simulated hostage targets". Groups of 1in at 25yds. At 50yds Mini groups were just under 3in and AR 2.4in. At 100yds Mini groups were 6in and AR groups 8in. from prone position. Changing shooters at 100yds Mini groups were 6in and AR 7in. Dirt thrown in both rifles and then a 20rd rapid fire attempted. Mini 14 fired all 20rds and Oly AR jammed after 3rd rd. Writer states "overall there is no clear winner in the Mini/AR debate. Both have features I like and dislike". He says he would take the AR but he says "a good friend of mine a nationally known firearms instructor, told me he would take the Mini 14 any day of the week even if the Mini was priced as high as the AR15". And so it goes just like Ford and Chevy!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mini-14s have a simple and rugged design that make it more reliable. If a gun has got less parts, then there are less parts to malfunction. The laws of basic mechanics say it all.:usa:

G

·
scan the article and post it on AR15.com Maybe the ar's are more accurate at 100yards but that doesn't mean **** if it won't fire :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
greg has a good point my friend stitch assembled a ar-15 in the shorty version and paid almost 3x what i paid for the mini and won't shoot wolf dose not like an assortment of ammo. the mag well is WAY to tight i also think they (dpms) over did the chrome in the chamber...so the mini always wins.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had four AR15s over the years. I am not jumping on the anti-AR bandwagon. However, I never trusted them to go bang. I became informed on this weapon. I used quality ammo, mil-spec mags with green followers, proper lube. I still had malfunctions once every 100 rounds or so. I took tactical rifle classes where there would literally be dozens of malfunctions with the AR rifles. Some were so bad we needed tools to fix. The AR is neat little rifle. I like the ease of mag changes, the pistol grip, the ability to store things in the buttstock, the accuracy, and the position of the safety. However, if my son ever had to go to war, I would cringe if this was his weapon. The mags are too fragile. The gun is too fragile. Introduce dirt, like the SWAT test, and it will tend to stop working. The M14 or a borrowed AK would be my choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
S.W.A.T. mag is now owned by the admin of thefiringline.com. You can order it thru them or Glocktalk.com. Email me your address and I will send you my March copy with the Mini vs AR article as I am finished with the mag now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tom, would you be able to copy it and fax it to people on special request? I can't seem to find the magazine anywhere. I don't necessarily want to subscribe just for one article.

Thanks,
Dave

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Originally posted by Dave3006
I had four AR15s over the years. I am not jumping on the anti-AR bandwagon. However, I never trusted them to go bang. I became informed on this weapon.

And I've owned 4 AR-15s., and only my first (Oly Stainless Ultra Match) was unreliable, and then only with certain ammo.

Why? Because it was a generic rifle trying to do match duty (tight match chamber) and I treated it like a plinker.

My Colt HBARs, on the other hand, have ~never~ misfed a round, or failed to go BOOM. I've had one bad USGI mag that failed to latch, out of 28+ that I've owned.

There are a TON of bottom feeder, or good but problematic AR-15's out there. Ruger is the ONLY company that makes the Mini. It's not like Ford's and Chevy's. It's like comparing cats and dogs!
:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, heres my mini review:
Owned both models in various configurations including Class III.
The Colt manufactured AR-15M-4M-16s are very reliable guns. I have worked with Vietnam era Gau-5 versions which have taken a beating over the years, including hundreds of parachute landings, and they were going strong until about 1991, when they were upgraded to M-4 config, called GUU-5P now.
Lightweight, takes abuse, and accurate
Hate those post-ban muzzle brakes and everybdy has them

I now own a Mini which I cut the barrel to 16" and added a vortex FH. It shoots better with the barrel cut, about 3"@100yds vs 6"
Theres something about the wood stock and garand action that attracts me to the Mini despite its accuracy problems. There is also the lower profile look that most sheep will not alert to vs the Black Rifle. The Mini should not cost as much as it does. It used to be a fair deal for $325 but $400 to $500 hurts. Mags? Thermolds, get them while and where you can.
Parts? Buy another Mini
The Mini is a practical pick-up truck beater gun. I don't worry about it.
My pre-ban ARs, I worry about scratching

1 - 19 of 19 Posts