Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 20 round mag with some rust inside. I scraped out what I could but how can I get rid of the rest? Should I soak it in solvent or will that harm the blued finish? Any advice or ideas are appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Grinch, My mags are too new to have rust, but down hea it won't take long. I would use a small wire brush, sand paper to get down to clean metal. Then I would to blue it. I've seen blue kits at Walmart. Then apply a lite coat of oil, and wipe off. I would make the oil, and wiping, a periodic duty to those valuable mags.
King had a good idea, he applies a moly lube substance, and bakes it in the oven at 300 degrees. The lube bonds with the surface. I looked for that post but couldn't find it. Maby you can.
KING, WHERE ARE YOU? How about your moly mag cure?
Sorry Grinch, I had to put this post in the right box.;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Grinch---Rust is a cancer & getting rid of it completely is very hard. The location in your case makes it even worse. Since this is a Ruger mag I would have it refinished by a reputable firearms refinishing company. They have the ability to remove the rust completely & then refinish your mag to either the origanal factory finish or your choice of many durable finishes. Simple sanding or wire brushing my remove some of the rust but if there is even a slight bit left behind it'll grow. Regular maintainence meaning disassembly cleaning & lubrication is a must. Especially if you live anywhere near our friend Cajungeo. Do a search of firearms refinishers & ask some questions, I believe you'll find a quality job can be done on a magazine like yours at a reasonable price.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
427 Posts
Has anybody out there used naval jelly to clean rust off a gun? I've read that it works, but that it also strips the blue off.

Many years ago I tried naval jelly on badly rusted steel. It wasn't on a gun, but I wasn't altogether happy with the finish it left. It left brown colored steel which seemed to be stabilized. To describe it better, the rust had changed color to dark brown instead of rust brown. And it was hard, not flakey. It wouldn't brush off, and it wore out my sandpaper before cleaning much away. However, the rust didn't grow. This wasn't a scientific test, but other uses gave me about the same results. If that's the way it works, it wouldn't be too good for restoring a firearm or magazines.

KC

·
Registered
224 Posts
The moly cure can be foung here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=82469

But that is for AR mags which are aluminum. I don't know if the process will work well on steel.

I second bushwack. take the mag to a pro & have it redone. A factory mag is worth it. You'll be bumming if it's as rusted as my old ford truck in a few years. My hunch is you want an acid type bath + refinishing.

Good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just want to point out that it is a very good idea to clean and lube your mags inside and out every time you clean your weapon.Feed problems are usually the result of a dirty mag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best way to get surface rust off of steel magazines, or guns for that matter, is to oil them (I prefer Breakfree) and go over them with fine steel wool.

It will take off the rust and will not harm the finish. It sounds like it would scrape and scratch them to hell, but believe me, it doesn't. I had to clean off a few Ruger factory 30rd mags the other day that I had left in the range mag and were covered in a light coat of rust when I got them out. I was happy with the results, but still a little irritated that I let them get rusted up in the first place.

To clean the inside I would probably get a toothbrush and wrap the steel wool around that and use it to scrub off the rust. I would then liberally apply oil to the inside and leave it there when I reassembled the mag. Oil on the inside is ok, but it's kind of hard to hold on to them if you leave them oily on the outside, so make sure you clean the steel mags after you use them becuase the acids in oils off your hands will cause them to rust up.

I know of a lot of people who put a light coating of grease on the mag walls and on the spring to keep this type of thing from happening. I just use oil though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So to disassemble the mags do you just bend those tabs? It seems like they would be very easy to break off. Especially after repeated bending. I ask only because I dont want to ruin my mags. Thanks and sorry for being a dufuss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by alphamaniv
So to disassemble the mags do you just bend those tabs? It seems like they would be very easy to break off. Especially after repeated bending. I ask only because I dont want to ruin my mags. Thanks and sorry for being a dufuss.
NO!!!!!! Do not bend the tabs on the bottom. You will ruin your mags and if they are factory Ruger it'll be a $100 mistake.

To disassemble, find something that will fit into the hole in the floorplate. Very carefully pry the floorplate up and slide it off of the bottom of the mag. To reassemble, simply slide the floorplate back on until it snaps back in place.

Never bend any piece of metal on any firearm. If you have to bend it then something isn't right.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The only steel wool I use around bluing is stainless steel wool. The outher types will relieve you of your finish. not to worry though a good alcohol bath and some cold blue later voila! New finish.:usa:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by Ivanimal
The only steel wool I use around bluing is stainless steel wool. The outher types will relieve you of your finish. not to worry though a good alcohol bath and some cold blue later voila! New finish.:usa:
I disagree. The first time someone told me to put steel wool to one of my guns I told them that they were crazy and that it would surely take the blueing off. However, it doesn't work that way. I've tried rubbing as hard as I could on some blued steel magazines and the finish will not come off, in my experience. I think the key is using extremely fine steel wool like is pictured below.

Below are a few pics of one of my magazines that was about 80% covered in light surface rust. All I used on it was Breakfree and steel wool.

Here is the magazine after it had been cleaned of all the rust.

Here is a little better view where you can actually see little rust pits on the bottom of the mag towards the back edge. They show up pretty good in this photo, in real life they are hardly noticable.

The floorplate also had a light coating of rust and I used the steel wool on it as well.

Here is the exact stuff that I use, Breakfree and some 0000 steel wool.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Ponyboy, thanks for going to the trouble to illustrate, your method. I learned years ago there is always a different way to skin a cat. The steel pad I tried years ago was an S.O.S. pad. too course. Now I will be on the look out for the 0000.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To anyone trying to remove rust from a firearm or mag;

use AERO Kroil oil. You can find it at any good hardware store in my area. Spray it liberally on the item, and walk away for a day or two. When you come back use an old toothbrush or a brass brush, and you will be amazed at how much crud comes off.

HTH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts