Perfect Union banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
capt ron,
Are you selling any of these new rifles that you just pulled out of a crate?
not anymore at this time. i am down to only a few now and i am saving them for my 4 grandsons to have a nice starter gun collection when they each turn 18. i had put these in a storage a wharehouse in 1996 along with some china made, m-14s, paras, sks-m, sks-d, uzi's, etc.
there were a bunch of assorted of these. if you lived in texas ( a lot went to houston dealers), oklahoma, lousiania they were sold to small ffl dealers this started around the end of 2005 until jan. 2008. i am no longer a ffl dearer ( i quit). i was a ffl dealer for over 25+ years.
i sold around 100 or so assorted china rifles to members on another gun site.

ron

·
Registered
120 Posts
I own a Russian, Yugo and Norinco. Yugo as far as I am concerned is the worst of the lot. The russian is still in great shape, wood, bore and fire control. The Chinese is in a collapsible stock, I have never had a problem with it. I bought the after market firing pin with spring to prevent slam fires for all three.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive had a number of SKS myself over the years. I sold most of them after the assault weapons ban and cashed in on them. I kept my mint, matching numbers milled Yugo because it was the best looking, best shooting and best functioning of the lot. Not to mention the grenade launcher is an eye catching piece. The Yugo really dosent suffer from not having a chrome lined barrel as most all 7.62x39 (even alot of surplus) is non-corrosive. Ive found the newer stamped Chinese as the worst of the SKS Ive owned. The wood is horribly prone to swelling in damp conditions. My Chinese were also prone to vibration that the other Russian and Yugoslavians were not. I can only assume the stamped parts were the culprits as my Chinese were bought at many different times and not from the same lot. Also, if you have ever used a Norinco air rifle thats built to look like an SKS you waill have a good idea of what your getting in a newer Norinco SKS as far as quality of urniture and parts goes. I was amazed at how similar the two looked when I saw one of these air rifles. Ive heard the older pre 60s chinese is better as mentioned earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feel very fortunate to get my Yugo SKS for $215 FTF. I had a guy at the range offer me $375 and I turned it down. I really like my SKS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my Russian since 89 and have shot hundreds of rounds of all kinds of ammo without a single problem. Shot a couple Norinco's and was glad I bought the Russian:lol:

Don't really see a problem with the Survivors, they have been incredibally helpful to me and have a vast source of info available. Go there and you'll meet some serious SKS owners who know their guns.<_<

·
Registered
7 Posts
for 400$ it should be rare, unissued, never fired.

I bought my 54 tula for $180 FTF in 2007 I think...scratching head...

and yeah, sksboard moderator nazi poof has angered me to the point of departure...glad i never contributed to the site.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've had three Chikom SKS's and two are the threaded barrel type. Never owned a Russkom, but I do have 2 Romies, which I've heard are close to the Russians in finish and quality. The wood on the Romies is solid but not pretty. One of these had a really beat-up and broken stock, and I replaced it with a Yugo wood set that I had to modify slightly so it would fit. The result is a VERY solid and heavy stock on a relatively heavy rifle, when compared to a Chikom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Most Chinese are 1980's production new gun with chromelined barrels. Most Russians are not Chrome lined and unless you find an unissued one you are buying a 50 year old used gun.

·
Moderator and Super Member
7,547 Posts
My '53 Tula has a chrome bore and came in like-new condition. I prefer its fit and finish to the Norinco I sold, but otherwise I can tell no real difference between the two. The Russkie came apart for cleaning a lot easier, for one thing. The rifles still on the market are the last of the last, and all the really nice ones are probably snug in safes. If price is within $50, and both are really nice I'd take the Russkie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fiberglass/Composite Stock on Norinco

Can anyone share infor/comment of the red fiberglass stocks on Norincos. Was this a later development?
Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
Can anyone share infor/comment of the red fiberglass stocks on Norincos. Was this a later development?
Thanks
I believe those red stocks were designed for use in jungle conditions to prevent them from rotting. Possibly they were the Chikomz answer to our FG stocks on the M14. As I undertand it, they were from the 1960's.

I like those red FG sks stocks too. Very lightweight and handy. I put one on the SKS that my wife eventually "appropriated" from my collection. She loves how it handles.

It would be nice to find some more of those stocks at the $10.00/each price I found my two at.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I found a refurb Tula since my last post in this thread. Nice rifle but to be honest, it shoots about the same as my other SKS's. I'm growing more fond of my Chikomz though as time passes. Very nice little weapons for the price. Just found another one with grease in the barrel and all over inside. It was 3 bills but the used ones are at least that much these days.

And to think my first one 20 years ago was 100 bucks, new and unissued.

·
Banned
34,348 Posts
And to think my first one 20 years ago was 100 bucks, new and unissued.
I can't help but regret not buying one or more SKSs back then.

At the time, I believed ammo availability might not be consistent, and didn't know how good SKSs really are. I didn't know spare parts are rarely needed, or that there would be spare parts available soon enough anyway. That was before the internet.

That's what I tell myself so I don't regret it so much. :lol:

I have a 54 Tula refurb now. It's a good shooter.

Congrats to the forward thinkers who got in early. I didn't make the same mistake with Mosins.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I would get the russian first. They all have screw on barrels, forged, machined parts and the metal finish and stocks are better. Not all Chinese guns have the screw in barrel, and alot of them have the stamped parts and tack welded trigger group. If in doubt go russian, but if you find an early military issue chinese with all the desireable parts, pick it up. One last thing, the romanian sks's have the same build quality as the russians, just seems that most of them are a little beat-up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a pristine Norinco, complete (bayonet, etc.), yesterday for $220 out the door. I found a perfect Russian SKS today for $500. I think I can knock $50 off the price of the Russian, but it seems I can buy two Norincos for one Russian.
I'll still probably buy the Russian. :lol:

·
AK-47 Junkie
75 Posts
russian is infinitely better. especially if it's an early russian with the spring loaded firing pin. i wholeheartedly recommend murray's firing pins for everyone else to prevent slamfires. secondly avoid chinese "paratroopers". these are fugazzis where the chinese just cut the barrel down.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Better send all those P.O.S. Chikom SKS's of all types to me. I'll pay shipping, etc to keep them out of the hands of unfortunate fools who got suckered into buying them.

·
AK-47 Junkie
75 Posts
Better send all those P.O.S. Chikom SKS's of all types to me. I'll pay shipping, etc to keep them out of the hands of unfortunate fools who got suckered into buying them.
LOL! :lol:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts