Perfect Union banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am truly sorry for what Ruger has done,I hoped all along What I seen and what I was told by Ruger,well I hoped there would be a logical explanation for it.You have to admit I took alot of heat over this.But I must say I dont blame anyone.But there is one issue I have.Someone said if Rugster is right we will have to buy him Beer,well boys I prefer Budweiser!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why not just post the "positive truth" and be done with it. I would love to see proof positive information on this, as I will return my entire inventory of Rugers and they will be added to the Smith&Wesson files of NO RETURN. LTS

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I see you eating round all the edges.....lets be done with this, give us the proof. We`re waiting with baited breath........

LTS

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to Mini-14 mags and read Topic heading,Atten short Mag Latches Attributed to Bolt stop failure and feeding issues.If you will read all of it he tells you in detail how much Ruger narrowed the mag wells.And that none of his mags would fit the new gun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
RugsterLike I said/asked.....Where is the proof??? I see none in that artical. The mag latches in Mini14s have always been a weak point, but it speaks of nothing about the "magazines not even being close to going in." The fact the magazine does not lock up or the bolt lock, is not the same as (NOT FITTING, NOT EVEN CLOSE) So no beer for you. Try again please, by the way.....just send me some Jack Black.....beer is a waste.

LTS

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to go back and read more carefuly.He said a customer brought a Mini in and the mag would not go in, he pointed at the cheap mag,then got one of his and it wouldnt go in either.He said even my Ruger mags would not go in. I thank everyone else now knows I wasnt full of bull and thats all that matters to me.To tell you the very truth it deeply saddens me for I know probably whats yet to come.He also give precise measurements on the mag well too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rugster, you may read into this what you wish, but there is "NO" mention of the magzines not going in. GHEESH???
Do you not understand this story below, it offers absolutely NO proof to your story. Sorry......LTS

Gang,
Just wanted to share a little tid bit with you.
I work on a lot of Mini's and recently I hade a fella bring me a 195 series Mini for glass bedding and trigger work. He also mentioned it didn't lock the bolt on the last shot. I naturally pointe to the cheap mag he was using. I grabed one of my Ruger factory mags, confident that it would work. It DIDN'T! Nor did any of my many mags. Then I tried his mag in a couple of my 185 series rifles. It lock back, barely! I happened to have another fella's older 182 series rifle in the shop as well, so I tried his mag in that, worked very well. Infact it was real nice and snug. I started measuring latches on all the rifles.

Conclusion:
The older series numbered rifles (one with the brighter finish) have slightly longer latches and the newer series seem to have a shorter latch. As I get trigger groups into the shop I've been watching the latch lengths. All the older bright finished rifles have long latches.

Even my 3 personal Mini's (all series 185) have marginal latch lengths. Result: Some mags feed fine and lock the bolt barely. Other mag don't work so well. So after taking latch demensions off the older rifle w/ long latches. I removed the latch in this fella's 195 series rifle along with the latch out of my favorite personal Mini. I have the end of the latch welded to build it up and then re-gound them down to match the length of the longest latch I've seen. (I measure from the leading edge of the latch pin hole to the end of the latch that engages the mag.) I reinstalled the latch in his rifle and tried it again. MAN WHAT A DIFFERANCE!!!! Mag latched much more securely w/o the up/down wiggle and the bolt stop worked perfectly with follower pushing up on the bolt stop latch fully. And no feeding issues w/ my cruddier mags.

I've come to the conclusion that the Mini-14 mag issue is due entirely to the short mag latches. I've since had all the latches on my personal rifle welded and re-ground. I STRONGLY recommend you guys check your rifles. I'm going to give Ruger a call and discuss this with them and see if I can get my hands on some un-ground mag latches. Otherwise I'm going to have some milled up. This improvement makes even the crappy mags work well.
I'll keep you posted,
Mike in Oregon

·
Registered
716 Posts
Personally, I don't care who is right and who is wrong. Any more posts regarding this fruitless debate will be deleted. This is not Hard Core Chat, and I'm not going to let tempers escalate and fuel the fire on this site.

Let's leave it at this: There is reportedly a rumor that Ruger has modified their newly manufactured Mini-14's so that they will not accept hi-capacity magazines. It is an unconfirmed rumor, which by the nature of the beast will reveal its own truth within a month or so, as the new Mini-14's hit the market. If Ruger has in fact somehow eliminated the use of hi-cap mags in their Mini-14's we will surely have undeniable evidence as soon as a forum member purchases one or more than one member sees them in sporting goods stores in at least two seperate places in the states.

'nuff said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.