Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good servise from both X-ring surply Newark De and Ruger.Three years ago bought a S.S R.R put a scope on it 6 weeks ago and
it shot way to the left tried a 2nd one same thing. I was in X-ring
buying a safe and told them about the problem. They said bring it in. The scope was not in line with the barrel so they sent it back.
2 weeks later it is back and it looks like it all lines up. No charge
for shipping or anything. Would have shot it today but it was cold and raining. Will try next week.

Paul

·
Registered
723 Posts
Glad to hear you had good service,Ive always found Ruger's customer service nothing short of excellant.

Safe Shooting!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the happy ending is not here yet. Shot it tuesday and it is a bit better, but still 6" low at 25yds with the scope max on hight and all the to the left.Could not tell if it was even hitting at 100yds. This is starting to burn me out.Have not talked to the gun shop yet. I might see if they will bore sight it. I would have take M.B off again but that easy.

Paul I

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
johnsopi you first posted your mini shot to the left, now its shooting too low? Is this correct? Yes I would be interested on how the bore sighting goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must have gotten right and left mixed up. Before sending it
to Ruger it was shooting way to the right (16")and low.I could
not adj. either scope to get on target at 25 yrds. Now after going
back to Ruger it is 2" to the right and 6-9" low at 25yrds with the
scope adj. all the way up and to the left.Talked to the gun shop
today they said try a differant scope and see what happens if it
is still out they will send it back again. If it goes back again I think
I'll offer to pay shipping. Could the M.B be part of the problem.

I hate sending things back right now I have a water system I had back and a another scope that I sent back to be fixed.I was thinking about getting a CAI G3 but I hear they are hit or miss. Will try another scope this coming week and report back.

Paul I

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think it is more likely the rings than the scope. The $40 I spent on a collumator is some of the best money I have spent. (It's an optical bore sighter with studs you put in the muzzle to hold the optical grid -- this one made by BSA and ordered from Midway). I even returned one scope when I found the zoom moved the crosshairs 1.3 moa and adjustments were not repeatable (probably due to cheap plastic gears). Once I know where it sights in, I can swap scopes and be inside 2 moa with a completely different scope and/or rings, and I can record where the optical center of the scope is set by recording its position on the grid before I start adjusting.

With a collumator, you'd be able to check to see if it makes a difference if you swap rings 180 deg. or swap front to back, etc. I suspect that could get you a few moa. (Some rings also allow minor windage adjustment.)

Some rings are poorly aligned. Many people regularly lap them in to assure concentricity. It is probably easier to spend a few bucks with your local gunsmith to troubleshoot this than to be shipping the rifle around, since you don't know if it is the rifle, the scope, or the rings. You have already invested in this system, might as well spend the $ to get it right.

-- cw

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well took the M.B off and changed the scope.If it's still off
when take out this week the shop can bore sight it. I'm going
get a Savage from them any way.If it is the ring they can try
a new se there.I don't feel that I should pay for new rings since
their ruger rings.Don't mind paying shipping.I just hope they
don't have to replace the gun because Mike did the trigger
and I have the bushing kit in it.

Paul

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'VE ALWAYS BEEN SATISFIED WITH RUGER CUSTOMER SERVICE..ALWAYS #1 IN MY BOOK.......:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well went to the range today, new scope and no M.B.,had the box with me to ship it back. Lo and behold the gun shot right on target. The 1st scope I used was a 40mm and I think the bell was
touching the bump on the handguard making it shoot off. Now I
just need to get it shoot smaller groups.Ruger service did fix the problem the 1st time.

Paul I

1 - 10 of 10 Posts