Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow. That's pretty cool. From an aesthetic standpoint, it's a lot nicer than the Marlin Papoose. I wonder how much it will cost?

TMann

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I want one. I think I'll pay the $200 tax and get it threaded and get a can for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Finally! It's been a long, cold slog. But I have now identified that elusive but all important gun for my collection and use, known universally as, "My Next Gun".

I've always been a fan of the 10/22, although I gave my last one to my grand-daughter a few months ago. This one, I'll buy, and keep.

This will be, "My Next Gun".

(And thanks to the OP for bringing us this good news).

Shotgun Bill

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,091 Posts
Time to look at another 1022 again.

Wonder how long it will be until Tac. Solutions here in Boise has a barrel for this baby? :)

That would be AWESOME! (Especially if Hogue produces an overmolded slightly longer LOP two part stock... )

But stock, it's pretty dang good to start with it appears.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, I bought mine two days ago, and must say, I'm greatly impressed. The gun goes together in about one second, and takes apart in only a tiny bit longer. The difference is in that the bolt must be pulled back by a quarter of an inch or so, for the barrel to clear the bolt as it is removed.

Here are a few points I've noticed.

1)The gun can be left in the bag, with a full magazine. It can be readily assembled with the mag in, and can be disassembled with the mag in. If however, you pull the bolt back too far, and jack a round into the 'chamber'...well, it will simply fall out onto the ground, since the chamber is incorporated into the barrel itself...in other words, when the barrel is removed, the chamber is also removed.

2) The rear sight should be folded down when sliding the barrel into the bag, else it will catch. The bolt handle is bad enough, but can be dealt with more easily than the sight. Even the front sight, which of course, you cannot fold down, can present a little bit of hanging up while sliding the barrel into the case.

3) With repetitive take-downs and reassemblies, the gun does return to zero remarkably well (in open sighted condition...[I didn't try a scope, since I plan for this gun to open sighted only).

4) But one of the best parts of the gun, isn't even a part of the gun, but rather, the gun case, or bag. On the front of the bag, are two separate zippered pockets. The lower pocket will hold two 32 round Pro-Mag single stack magazines with ease, and leave room perhaps for a couple of boxes of ammo as well. (After buying mine on Saturday, we made the 150 mile drive to Nashville, to do some Bass Pro Shopping, where I picked up two of the mags...and with about 300 rounds through them, they've been flawless. Although, the ammo was from a big glass bowl filled with every kind of .22 round available, and mixed thoroughly The gun will travel, with 32 grain CCI 22 stingers @ 1640 fps).

That lower pocket also sports 4 molle strips as well. I've added a pair of AK47 molle magazine bags, in which I've placed survival tools and so forth.

5) The two leaved folding case allows the 10/22 to be loaded easily (note above about sights, etc.) and leaves the other side of the case for whatever other use one might find. Interestingly enough, that other pocketed side of the case will hold (one of) my 15 inch T/C Encore pistols (.22, .22-250, .44 mag) WITH scope mounted as well. It does make for a heavier bag, but sufficient mounting points are supplied that, with a couple of extra straps (in my case, a pair of two point rifle slings) you can easily turn the entire loaded bag into a Camelback sized backpack.

6) And finally, the upper outside pocket is brightly emblazoned with the red RUGER logo, which of course, simply screams "GUN!". But I don't worry overmuch about that, since I'm CDW licensed and Kentucky is also an open carry state. I doubt I'll be parading the outfit down the aisles of the local Wal-Mart...but in just about in other place, it wouldn't be too much out of place.

Into that pocket, I've also placed quite a number of smaller survival tools, supplies and so forth.

I expect the gun to accompany me in my vehicle, pretty much everywhere I go. If I know beforehand I'll be wanting to shoot my T/C pistol, I'll add that as well and be happily shooting forthwith.

So now, instead of carrying my Ruger SR9c concealed, in my "Have Gun Will Travel" system...I'll be carrying also my Ruger 10/22 Takedown gun as well...I guess it will then be my "Have GunS Will Travel" system.

·
Erin go Braugh
157 Posts
Thanks Shotgun Bill great report!

So now, instead of carrying my Ruger SR9c concealed, in my "Have Gun Will Travel" system...I'll be carrying also my Ruger 10/22 Takedown gun as well...I guess it will then be my "Have GunS Will Travel" system.
Sounds great all around. Thanks for your 411!:ph34r:

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,091 Posts
Nice review.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I ran across them today at Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, KY. They had seven of them on the shelf. I wasn't all that interested in getting one until I picked one up and looked it over. Price tag was $309.99+tax. Needless to say, it came home with me. Very impressive, and comes with a beautiful case for carrying it in broken down state.

I also had a chance to HOLD a Ruger SR22. I was very impressed. Unlike the other SR series pistols, it has an exposed hammer, where the others are striker fire. Fits my small hands very, very nicely. I have one ordered. They run right about $300 also.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm going to hold out and see if they offer one with a walnut stock. Well, I'm going to try anyway, my LGS has them in stock for $309 as well and it sure is hard to walk out without one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm going to hold out and see if they offer one with a walnut stock. Well, I'm going to try anyway, my LGS has them in stock for $309 as well and it sure is hard to walk out without one.
In time there are sure to be some different stocks, but for now it's stainless on synthetic or nothing. And I can live with that. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
It may well be that the wooden stock is on the way...but I like mine fine just the way it is. I love wood for looks, and poly-whatever for utility. For me, the takedown gun is a utility, or tool, thing.

Well, there is one area I'd like to improve upon. It's just that I wish I could buy another, in .22 magnum, giving me a matched set.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Saw and handled one this last weekend at a gun show and I was impressed with how fast it came apart and together again. Did not like the price they were asking but these people are known for selling high end guns only and were asking $459. It came with a really nice carry case with pouches for magazines and ammo and was in itself bulky. I have a ultimate 10/22, a walmart special 22" barrel 10/22, and a 10/22 Charger but could not think of why I would need a 10/22 that could break down and backpack. I think my Charger is better suited for the job or one of my 22lr/22mad combo pistol revolvers to backpack. It did look like it would be easyer to keep clean and scrub the barrel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's so nice I picked one up yesterday.....
Have not even had the time to open the box... ;-(

Mark; thanks for posting that link... It helped me :)

Lateck,

1 - 20 of 44 Posts