Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to Silver 78 who has donated this rare photo of the XGI.

Ok guys here it is a very rare peek at the XGI, which didn't go into mass-production.

The verbage in the pic wouldn't come out so I will type it. It reads:
"The more powerful Ruger XGI semi-automatic rifle, like the Mini-14, retains the essentials of the durable Garand design used in the U.S. M1 and U.S. M14 military rifles --Garand-type gas system, rotating bolt, oerating rod and handle. The safety is also the Garand-type conveniently located for quick operation. This sporter also features and M14-type magazine release.

The Ruger XGI is chambered for two of the most popular sporting rounds in the world: the versatile varmint-to-deer class .243 Winchester cartridge and the .308 Winchester big game cartridge."

Update. Ruger is auctioning off a very rare XGI .308. I've added new pics. Thanks stevekaw for catching this before it was gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wow! I would have bought one! I got to get me an open sighted rifle!

I missed a lot of opportunities because of a scope today(usually hunt eastern side of Oregon, instead of Western)
It just got in the way to took to long to find the target. My dad is a natural with a scope, but I am a better shotgun shooter. I like open sights.

I'm taking my Grandpa's 45-70 Marlin tomorrow, if I get my deer with it, I will be buying me a marlin lever gun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cajungeo thanks for posting the picture.... And for all the other great stuff you do for everyone on the board here.

I pulled this picture from the Ruger product catalog many years ago. It was the center page of the Ruger product catalog for that year. They were so close to production that they placed it in their product catalog. Then at the last minute they pulled it out of production. If I recall correctly, Ruger said that quality problems caused them to change their mind about selling the rifle.

I think I read somewhere about someone who toured the Ruger factory in 2003 and observed that Ruger still has hunderds of the XGI receivers in storage. So maybe one day...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again Silver 78. You know I always thought it was XG-one untill I read your article, now I see it is XGI (pronunced G-eye)

A couple more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know all day at work I've had the thought in my mind that it used M-14 mags for the Hi-caps. Now I have been trying to figure out if I read that some place or not. That would be perfect though if it did. I never had a M-14 jamb on me all the time I was in the Marine Corps.

BTW I'm pinning this topic so it will always be on top, for members to look at, and to comment on.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Howdy Cajun and Silver78; I think it was really cool of you guys to post these pics of the fabled XGI! :) Looks like it was from the 1984 catalog,since they printed(Ruger)that the XGI in .243 will be out in 1985. I my opinion if Ruger were to start putting out these two rifles and a PC45, plus a Ruger 1911-.45acp. They would be one of the preimer firearm manufacturers in the USA today. Not to say as they dont already make some very nice firearms. Getting back to the XGI, I most certainly would buy one in .308 caliber. I think it would be a sweet rifle. ;) Any idea of what the MSRP was supposed to have been? Again thanks for the pics. :D :usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been looking for more info but it is scarce. Haven't given up yet.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Shooters Bible 1986 edition shows msrp of 425.00,but only shows it in .308 and doesn't mention .243.I would have took one in either caliber. :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's not a bad price, vahunter. For comparison sake what was a mini-14 going for back then?

·
Registered
287 Posts
canjungeo, heres what was listed in 1986 prices and models.

Mini-14/5 blued 351.75
K-Mini 14/5 stainless 393.75,with folding stock 430.00
Mini 14/5R (Ranch Rifle) 380.50 available in .223 or 7.62x39
K-Mini 14/5F stainlees steel with folding stock 476.75
Also says 10 and 20 round mags. available but doesn't list any prices. Now would someone tell me what the F model is? I don't have a clue to what that is and why it is so much more expensive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
too cool want the .243

Jeff
:usa:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't remember why Ruger never went ahead with the XGI project. I remember they introduced the Mini-30 instead.-hpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I recall correctly, Ruger pulled production on the XGI at the last minute because of some reliability problem that they could not solve. Making the Mini 30 was a reasonable (but not sufficient) substitute because the shorter, less powerful cartridge could be used in the existing Mini 14 system.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish they would send me one to work on. If I could solve their problem then I would get to keep it for free. Then they could hire me as a consultant. :D
It's nice to have a dream. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yeee very nice dream there Cajungeo :D

They could send me a couple of them to ;) , i would get right on theire problem and fix it :confused:
:cannon:
:rapid:
:sniper:
:ar15:
:2guns:
:samurai:

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is very nice. Kind of a streched Mini 14. Seems much more streamlined than the M14 for some reason. I wonder how the two compare as far as size. Sure would make a nice Camp Carbine project.

Speaking of M14's and camp carbines, Im quite stoked about Springfields new M1A SOCOM 16. I must have one.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts